What's new

Wanna know how long you can leave a receiver on? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
So I went to school on August 23. I later returned home for thanksgiving break on Nov 21. I walk downstairs and I notice something strange. The lights for my receiver and 5 disc cd player were on. My father said he hadn't gone into the basement or done anything with my stuff since I had left. This means I left my receiver and cd player on for about 3 months.
Everything still works fine and I see no damage done. So for anyone wondering, you can leave you equipment on with no worries. I still suggest turning everything off of course but don't worry if you go on vacation and suddenly realize you forgot to turn things off. I imagine if everything is fine after 3 months that everything would be fine if left on forever. I only have a $120 dollar sony receiver and a $40-$50 cd player. I'm sure more expensive receivers are even more well suited. Just thought I'd let you all know. Matt

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I wouldn't worry about it. Generally speaking, cycling power on and off puts more stress on the electronics then anything else. If it was under severe load for three months, then you may argue that the intense heat may have caused some wear on the unit, but even then I wouldn't be too concerned. As it were, just sitting there at idle, it was basically keeping itself warm and wasting power.

I would however recommend unplugging everything if you're gonna leave it for an extended period of time - for no other reason then an unexpected power surge. If it's not required to be plugged in, might as well unplug it just to be safe.

- Mike

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
What Mike said.
I have my Outlaw pre/pro continiously on for about 8 months now.I leave some of my amps on as well[2 monoblocks that powers one of my sub] for weeks at the time.I have them for years with no problems at all.

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
heck at the shop i work at we have a marantz reciever from the 70's and i hasn't been turned off in 2 years because theres always people there, and it usually played at half volume
now thats impressive if you ask me:D

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I work in caraudio at soundtrack. We never turn off our car decks so they stay on for about a year at a time. They run fine. Car decks usually get hotter than hometheater stuff too.

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
matthew,
just a thought...
you may have actually left them off -- I've found that if the power in my house shuts off for a second or so and then comes back on, my receiver will turn on - even if it was off.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
My NAD was on for 11 years straight (other than power outages) since I moved into my home. At that time I had already owned it for about 5 years. My Outlaw 950 was on for just over a year straight (along with all the other components) until I packed them up and started the house remodel. I am another one who belongs to the camp that turning electronics on and off does more harm than leaving them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks