What's new

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 5: Problems with Poor Mastering (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
...must...restrain...self.......must...not...sink. ..any...lower

I think the contents "sheet" is now unattached so that a manufactured tin is not dedicated to a particular release. For similar reasons that S/N's are not stamped...manufacturing economies and less hassle when a tin gets damaged during manufacturing process. The tin fronts are still an issue re that, so wouldn't be surprised to see the attached graphic disappear one day... So yes, I suppose you could say the "tin situation" has deteriorated, they certainly don't seem as special to me.

It's the contents situation that has me more bothered. The more I've watched, whether poor transfers, duplication, or small quantity of content, the more bothered I am by this Wave. I'll give Disney a free pass this time, but Wave 6 had better be damn good or I'll just say "it's over"...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just recieved my second elfego swamp fox tin.
this second one is dented, but in a different place from the first one i just sent back to amazon.

i think i;ll just buy one somewere and return this one.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
My first Rarities didn't have a number certificate, so I exchanged it (didn't say why, at least truthfully).

My first S&M had a bunch of the colored paint scratched on the front, under the pristine shrink so it was very scratched when wrapped, I didn't notice it at first and exchanged it (didn't say why, at least truthfully).

So you see what I mean about anality, and why I'm not so quick to whip the micrometer out...

Thing is, I can buy the contents of these tins, very soon, in a keepcase, for very little, though admittedly R2/PAL. So I figure I'm paying a large premium for the tin, and it better be in darn good shape...

I have noticed in the past that a lot of these tins are dented in the corners, you'd think that would be the strongest part. It also seemed like the tins were dented before shrinking, though maybe not...most in the stores seem in pretty good condition. Not in as good condition as the much fancier KK tins though, they must be stronger (don't ask!).

Most tins I've got from amazon in Canada are dented, they do not pack very well IME when you use free shipping. The tins (and everything else) I've got from amazon in the U.S. is excellently packed, the best I've seen, but then I have to pay for shipping. Maybe a lesson there?

Edit: my restraint was insufficient...I *tried* to measure the tin thickness, but forgot about the rolled-up edges that prevent my micrometer from doing it (flat "jaws"). Just trying is bad enough...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Craig's earlier post completely, this wave seemed like it was completely tossed together at the last minute with little thought or care. Unlike earlier entires which made obvious the passion, dedication and enthusiasm that went into the sets. This wave certainly contained no "treasures" at least as far as dvd production is concerned. I've emailed Mr. Maltin to express this much and hope to hear back from him. I also hope that everyone who is upset with the quality of these latest releases do the same and contact Disney as well! Contact customer service and let them know that these unrestored video sourced transfers are no good. Email Roy. Let everybody involved and in a position to effect the outcome of future installments know how we feel and that this is not acceptable! I feel like I've been coming home after a hard day at the office to my elegantly prepared prime cut tender filet mignon dinner that I look forward to every month, but found a slab of defrosted packaged ham ins it's place...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You know,

folks could also just call that little 1-800 number on the back of their DVDs. I'm sure that contacting Leonard and Roy can't hurt :D but sometimes missing the obvious can let the wind out of the sails on something like this...3 folks calling Roy sound like "extreemists" which doesn't have much weight with the marketing deparment. 100 people calling the 1-800 number to complain about a problem they see on their TV *will* get the marketing folks attention...especially if those callers are wise enough not to come accross as HT zealots, but rather DVD collectors with families who just happen to be disappointed in the less-than-stellar image quality of this edition...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
David and Marco: I know what you're saying, but: somebody in a position to have the ear of people in even higher positions gave the go ahead for this. We are not in that position. I would like to presume *somebody* in the Disney empire watched this on something bigger than a micro-TV. And gave the go-ahead. They think it's perfectly fine. They knew they were going to do some WDT release at this time. That's what worries me. Not that this is shite, but that they think it's "good enough". It's not a "minor" issue of AR or transfer for a title or two, it seems to be a prevailing attitude. At least now. Really hard to believe Leonard Maltin "approved" of this, they must have previously paid to use his blanket approval of the "concept" rather than the results. Not like he'd say, the man's gotta eat. Like, what heavyweight does rail against Disney? Probably learned it's not "beneficial"...

They will not change what they've released already regardless of the number of complaints. Never have. That is their modus operandi. They will release it again, maybe better, maybe not. That's what Disney *does*, it's their business model, and seems to be modestly successful...to date.

I do appreciate anybody who takes the time to formally complain, but I'm too old for that now, I just don't give them my $$ again and move on. Not proactive I know, but there's so many companies that really just don't want to listen (ahem, GM, cough) and believe whatever they do is "best" and keep on doing it until they're gone.

I reserve my complaints to fellow people who (might) know where I'm coming from, even if they don't agree. At least it feels good to express the displeasure and disappointment. In this case, I'd like to think *one* "significant" Disney employee will watch this set and say "we can't do this again, it grossly devalues our brand and is embarassing".

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I agree Craig. I've dealt with Disney quality control issues enough to know that they will never issue replacement discs for this set. That's why I believe the *only* possible way of overcome these odds is to get the support of one or both of the men whose signatures are on the DVD sets.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Who said anyting about replacement discs? I didn't. That's not what I'm expecting.

DVD isn't the last time these programs will appear for sale. Think Blu-ray folks. Disney can make the same "old master" mistakes in hi-def. It's important to give them feedback now so they can learn there lessons and do hi-def right. Think of DVD as a training ground for what *really* matters...getting historic film-based material in 1080P.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Statements like that are groundless.

You have enough money to buy standard definition DVDs?

In 2-3 years you'll be able to afford a low-end HD player. Get one from Costco or off the web from China for a couple hundred bucks. You can use your existing TV...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I personally would like replacement discs. I don't realistically expect this, but based on the standards of quality that set the precedents for this series, I really feel like we've been manipulated with this recent wave. I see the complete lack fo though and effort as a disrespect to the fans, collectors and supportes of these releases of whom the productions are supposedly aimed at.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

I have no money for a HDTV. Upgrading to Blu-Ray is pointless without an HDTV, IMO.

So, not to be rude, but please realize there is more than one type of consumer out there, one that has very little money to burn on a hobby. DVDs are pretty much my only expendenture of "extra" money. I make $25k a year before taxes living in LA. Could I make it work? Sure, but I won't go into consumer debt for it. If I happen to get married and have a family in the next five years and my job situation doesn't improve, well, I can kiss my hobby goodbye. You may be able to wait for the upgrade, but I'd like the problem solved now, not five years from now (really more like ten years, which is when these obscure titles will make it to Blu-Ray). Of course, I know Disney, and this matter won't be corrected anyway.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

With all due respect, I'd venture a guess that Brandon has better grounds than you to make a statement about his own finances. Out of the two, I'd say that your statements about his future financial situation are groundless. :)

DJ

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
With all due respect,

He's talking about affording an HDTV. I'm just talking about affording *Blu-ray*.

That's the same argument from folks who didn't care about 16x9 because "I don't have a 16x9 TV". Then they got a 16x9 TV and instantly enjoyed all the 16x9 DVDs that they already had on their shelf...and started to plan how to sell off their old 4x3 lbxed titles.

You can have a win-win. Buy software that will take advantage of your *future* display.

Was it worth upgrading to DVD even before you had a TV that was progressive scan, 16x9, or had component video?

Yes...because not only did DVD provide a better picture on legacy NTSC sets running composite (or even RF) video, but it allowed you to begin to spend your money on titles that would look much better than VHS when, eventually, you finally *did* get a better TV.

As long as you're spending money on DVDs, you might as well spend money on Blu-ray discs. They'll play on your old TV and look *better* than standard defintion DVDs even when downconverted to 480I (bcs of better compression and color resolution among other things).

The only real issue is when Blu-ray players will be affordable. That will happen within a few years (what I said in my earlier post) and that Blu-ray player will play your old DVDs too. So you'll be in a win-win situation and can still enjoy your old DVDs while you start to build your HD library even *before* you can afford to upgrade to an full-blown HD display. With any luck, your current DVD player will hold out long enough that you can "replace" it with a new player that is Blu-ray compatible.

If you've got money to throw at standard-def DVD purchases, then in a few years you'll be able to start collecting blu-ray titles which will make the most of all your equipment...present and future.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The Humphrey shorts have more than just an OAR problem. These are clearly old transfers, done perhaps for laser or maybe even VHS. No effort has been made to clean them up or even get the color timing right. There are contrast issues as well. When you take all that and add to it the fact that they are, in addition to being letterboxed in a 4:3 frame, heavily cropped on the sides, then you have something that doesn't belong anywhere near a "Treasures" set.

-Lyle J.P.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

These were the first cartoons I watched and the first thing I noticed!

I had to play around with color temperature and brightness and adjust all the levels on the television I watched them on at my parent's house because I couldn't believe that these were the transfers actually sourced for the set. Look at the contrast and colors in the fishing sequences in "In The Bag". The water is completely washed out and there is hardly any detail at all! It looks abysmal.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
So has anyone called/e-mailed/wrote to Disney yet about this (besides me)? I know it's too late to do anyting about this release but we should at least let them know that most of us won't bother with future Treasure releases if the quality keeps slipping.

I'd still like to know what happened with this release.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I got a reply from Leonard Maltin:

He doesn't participate in prepping the materials for the releases (of course he asembles the content, but this is referring to the video-transfer/restoration end), just has good faith Disney will do it right. If there are issues he's aware of, like refilmed end credits on Disneyland or ARs of early Mickey shorts, he makes sure Disney is also aware of it. He didn't think he would need to remind them that Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom had already been remastered for Fantasia 2000.

He closed his email with this:

Adam

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Not to mean any disrespect to the man, but if he won't follow up to insure the quality of these releases then who will? I've always felt his name meant something when it comes to quality, was I wrong to assume this? Wasn't it Maltin himself on his own site requesting we let the studios know they can do better?

The Disneyland USA tin suffers from problems too - major segments were edited from two of the shows on it even though the sales and ad materials state everything is uncut and remastered.

If WB can replace Kiss Me Kate discs and Universal (of all studios) can exchange Back to the Future and Pillow Talk discs for framing issues, why won't Maltin seek a meeting with Dick Cook and request their customers be taken care of?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I just think Mr. Maltin is expressing what a few of us did previously in this thread - that Disney does not do recalls. Period. He knows there's no chance of it happening, so he's not about to push for it.

Thanks for posting his response, Adam. Disappointing that he also feels there is nothing to be done (which is essentially the final nail in the coffin), but at least he'll be sure to be more involved in making sure future sets are done properly. No more assumptions from him, I'd imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks