What's new

VR-507 and JBL set up help? Im stuck (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok well i finnally got My Kenwood vr-507 reciever, N26's, Ncenter and Sawm40 sub up into my dorm room. After pulling all the speakers out and setting them where they will go, I pulled out my Monster home theater kit and took all the wires out. It seems that the speaker wires have gold pins attached to the wire. What should i do with these. My reciever and speakers have banana plug inputs and the pins are to small. Right now i slid the pins through wire holes and tighted up the screw down onto the pin. Is this bad? Should i cut off the pins and strip the wire clean and use just the wire?

Next, the monster wire didnt have any arrows on them, just red and black at each end. Does it matter which black end goes to the reciever and which goes to the speaker. The same for the sub, which has an arrow. Does the arrow on the sub cable go to the sub or away?

Ill will post more questions as they come up, because you guys are the best and you got me this far, so i figure why stop asking questions. Thanx

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hi Jeff, the arrow always goes towards the output source, so the arrow should point towards the sub.

Those pins are made for spring clip connections, so cut 'em off.

Red to positive and Black to Negative, just make sure the red from the receiver goes to the red on the speaker, and black on receiver to black on speaker.

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Right now, when i get to around 30db on my reciever my speakers are not loud at all. I thought they shoud be kicking ass at this level. When i go to about 10 db, they get loud but shouldnt they be loud at around 50db. At that level i hardly hear anything. Maybe its me but the instore ones i demoed were 10x times louder. I didnt strip the pins off yet, maybe this could be my problem. Any answers that could help me out?

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Did you run your test tones? If so how do they read? Did you start the Left speaker at 0 and calibrate from there?

My VR 407 achieves reference level around -24db(75db)(depending on source) on the volume. And I watch movies in DD or dts at around -32, so yes you should be pretty darn loud at -30db.

What source are you listening to? Are you listening in stereo, DD, dts, Pro Logic?

Different sources play at different levels. Try hitting the "Sound" button until it says "INPUT 0", If this says "INPUT -3 or -6, then toggle it up until it reads "INPUT 0". This feature tames the input source, but only works in analog.

And since you have binding posts, clip those pins off! However this shouldn't be affecting your volume problem.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
BTW -50db will not be that loud. Me and my daughter are watching "The Emperors new groove" in dts right now, and the master volume is at -35db and it is rockin'!

In my little HT room(12x12) -10db is extremely LOUD, and is not often played that loud, if ever.

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Well im watching Jaws at -26 and its nice in DP 3 speaker sound. My surrounds should be here next week. Im very satisfied. I hope it gets better if i cut the pins off

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I hope it gets better if i cut the pins off
I don't think the pins will make any noticeable difference, it's just that you will get much better contact with bare wire. Binding posts and pin connectors just don't go together very well.

The original Jaws may be in DD 2.0, and could be kinda quiet compared to some DD or dts tracks.

How big is your room?

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
my room is 15x13. Jaws i think is DD. I used the DD 3 speaker mode. The DD light and 3 stereo light both light up. I think that is DD surround 3 that is mentioned in the book. At about -28 the sound was great. I watched the patch when Quint gets eaten and Brody blows the shark up. Its amazing. If only i had someones system to compare it to. I am playing it through a ps2 with optical until surrounds and dvd player arive this week.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Just for example, I will watch Fletch on DVD(2.0 DD)in Pro Logic at around -30.

But I will play Fletch Lives on VHS(2.0 analog Dolby Surround)and I will play it at -40, to achieve the same volume for both movies.

Source material can be recorded at different levels, and maybe your Jaws is a quiet one.

Usually DD 5.1 or dts 5.1 are recorded at somewhat close levels.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well we can rule out room size, your room seems reasonably small.

The 3 stereo mode is Pro Logic that shuts off the surrounds and redirects the surround material back through the mains.

I'm sure once you get your surrounds and DVD player, and a couple of good DVD's with good DD 5.1 or dts 5.1, you will be rockin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks