What's new

Visio 40H80/56H80 convergence overlays (1 Viewer)

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
INTERIOR - MAX'S HOUSE
long shot of Max making convergence overlays. He is frustrated by the difficulty of getting the exact measurements and right angles.
MAX: This sucks!
INTERIOR - HALLWAY IN MAX'S OFFICE BUILDING (the next day)
Following shot of Max walking down the hallway. He passes a large plotter, does a double take.
MAX: YES!!!!
INTERIOR - MAX'S OFFICE
Close up shot of Max working on VISIO.
MAX: (in Dexter voice) At last! My greatest creation is complete! The 40H80 convergence grids!
In short, I have made VISIO files of the Full and TW2 convergence grids for the TW40H80 and TW56H80. If you have access to a plotter you can print these out, tape them down, and trace over them on clear acetate to make very nice and exact overlays for you TV!
If anyone here has a site they would like to post these on, let me know and I will send the files. (They can now be found on KeohiHDTV here and Chris White's tips and tweaks page here
-Max

Thought I would share my experience getting these templates printed...
I call the Kinkos in my area and asked if they can print Visio, which they said they could not. So, I saved the Visio diagrams as Adobe Illustrator files and opened/saved them in CorelDraw, which Kinkos has.
I took my floppy to the Kinkos, logged in to one of their computers, and printed 5 sheets on their over-sized printer/plotters. You just have to be sure to set the page size to 36" x 20", or you'll get a bunch of standard sheets with parts of the grid. Kinkos over-sized printer had options for sheets of various sizes, but I selected 36" x 22", which was perfect.
I printed STD, FULL, TW1, TW2, and HD for $20. It cost $4.95 to use the printer, roughly $2 for the computer time, and $2.50 per sheet. The guy tried quoting me $5 per sheet, but I called another Kinkos and they quoted $2.50. So, when I asked why the difference, he punched on the calculator like he was checking something, and said "Oh yeah, I mean $2.50".
BTW, if anyone has struggled cutting their acetate grids square and marking the correct dimensions, these templates are gold. Plop them down and trace away. I might even take the acetate back into Kinkos to use their over-size paper cutter for a better shaped template versus using an Exact-o.
FWIW,
Matt

Rudy R

Auditioning
Matt if you could e-mail it to me in coreldraw so I could take it to kinkos...I dont have Visio or Adobe Illustrator.
frown.gif

Thanks.

JimRH

Auditioning
Yes, please post these new Kinkos-friendly files! I can't wait to do this!
Jim

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I might be missing something here....
Im curious as to where the convergence charts are for the 56h80? I only see the ones for the 40.
Thanks,
-D

Just a couple of things worth checking out...
Kinko's had CorelDraw version 9. I had version 8 at work, and it didn't convert Visio files. Can someone with version 9 check to see if it can read a Visio file? If so, doing what I did would not be necessary - just download the Visio files and take them with you to Kinko's.
Secondly, I didn't check, but there has to be another app that can read Visio - and Kinko's might have it, they have several graphics app's on their network.
Anyway, not trying to steal Max's thunder - his idea was brilliant in it's simplicity - wish I would have thought of it earlier. I don't know how to "post" files to the HTF, but I did email the Corel versions to you Rudy. Jim, I didn't see an email for you, otherwise I would have done the same. If Chris or Errol want to put the other versions up on their site, let me know and I'll send them over (the zip file is 29K), but the credit remains with Max (thanks again).
Good luck,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks