What's new

Value of Online Degrees? (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Hi all,

Being a generally saavy and erudite bunch, I thought I'd get some opinions on online degrees. I'm thinking of going back to school but there aren't any colleges near me and I work oddball hours.

I've thought of doing the whole online thing but I'm wondering what employers think of degrees earned online. I'd hate to get an online degree just to discover it isn't worth the money or effort I put into it.

If it isn't worth it then I would consider moving to place with an old-fashioned brick-and-mortar school and get a different job. I've kept my head down since 2001, just happy I had a job, but now that the economy is getting better, I'm willing to take some risks. I'm not married and don't have kids so there isn't anything keeping me here short of the proximity to my parents and other family.

I have no idea what to think of online degrees so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i have no info about online degrees but i just wanted to say good luck in continuing your education.

CJ

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I don't know about online schools, but if I were you, I would pick one that is affiliated with an actual University, Like University of Maryland: http://www.umuc.edu/gen/virtuniv.html

We may be able to help you better if you tell us what your career goals are and what subject areas you are considering for your studies.

From your profession listed in your profile, I would assume you are thinking about computer science or electrical engineering.

chris_everett

Second Unit
Short answer: It depends.

Long answer: A reputable University is a must, as Chris Maton said, one associated with a B&M one would be best. You want to avoid the appearence of a "Rubber Stamp" degree. IMHO, unless your talking about a tier one type school (MIT engineering, Harvard Law), a degree is a degree, and where you got it doesn't matter a great deal to an employer. As long as it's not a rubber stamp. This may not be true in all fields however. More information would help.

Lots of people do continuing ed these days, which is often internet. so I don't think that that will count against you.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As has been suggested, look for an on-line program with an established university. Many of them have "distance learning" programs these days. There should be no need to use any school that exists on the internet only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks