What's new

USHE Announcement: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Sumnernor /t/321703/ushe-announcement-alfred-hitchcock-the-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/1650#post_4018453
I also got from Amazon-UK on Nov 26 the Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] [1942] for circa 64 pounds (a black Friday deal) - this was not the limited edition. I have not looked at everything but am very happy with the results so far. When I finish looking at them, I will post my results. There are problems with the grain on "Marnie" (I've noticed many complaints on Amazon-DE) and some grain on "The Birds"- However "Family Plot" I have found NO PROBLEMS with the film. My 31" LCD TV is by Loewe. The company Loewe is considered quite good by the Germans. Is it possible there was an update of the Hitchcock films on Amazon-UK????
Every film can look great on a 31inch TV, its when you move to larger sets and projection setups that you notice the issues on discs, everything is relevant to viewing distance.

P

Patrick Donahue

As an aside, I came up with an idea for one of the extras from the U.K. Limited set. I had an extra frame so the total cost to me was $4.99 for a mat that sits under it. Not bad don't you think!?
(Blueprint of Bates house)
Sent from my iPad

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
favor- can someone with the USA set check NxNW for the bonus audio-only track? Even though the disc has the same bottoms-up menu as the earlier bluray release (so they play the same), I dont think that feature was carried over.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Good catch. Just checked my disc from the set vs. the digibook. The music-only option is not on the disc from the set.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
David_B_K said:
Good catch. Just checked my disc from the set vs. the digibook. The music-only option is not on the disc from the set.
thanks! I read conflicting info about its inclusion, and wanted to know for certain.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I got the UK Hitchcock but ordered a 3 disk (North; Stangers and Dial M"- On the box for North it says under special features "music only audio track" which is not in the menu. I don't see that option, How did you get it exactly?

ChristophM

Auditioning
In my case it's listed on both the static main menu and the pop-up menu (in the latter under "special features"). You see four columns, each with the respective features: BEHIND THE STORY – EXTRAS – TRAILERS – AUDIO The right-hand column lets you check "Music-only track" and there you are (avl. also on-the-fly). This ought to be true of the disc in the triple set as well. Did it help? Postscript: Apparently there really is more than one version around; the menu screenshot at DVD Beaver shows the section ONLINE in the right-hand column; on my disc ONLINE is situated beneath AUDIO. For what it's worth, the music-only track on my BD is track 8. The disc was bought in Germany, it's ABC and should be a global product.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by ChristophM
In my case it's listed on both the static main menu and the pop-up menu (in the latter under "special features"). You see four columns, each with the respective features:
BEHIND THE STORY – EXTRAS – TRAILERS – AUDIO
The right-hand column lets you check "Music-only track" and there you are (avl. also on-the-fly).
This ought to be true of the disc in the triple set as well. Did it help?
On my disk there is:
BEHIND THE STORY – EXTRAS – TRAILERS – Online
Switching the Audio gives English, then various languages in mono, then english (for the commentary. On the box, I will send an email to www.wanerbros.co.uk and ask them explain why the box in "special features" states music only track audio track. I will try to send that tomorrow-

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Very interesting! Just checked my US Hitchcock set and the music-only track is indeed missing on NxNW but is present on WB's standalone US digibook release.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Ray H said:
Very interesting! Just checked my US Hitchcock set and the music-only track is indeed missing on NxNW but is present on WB's standalone US digibook release.
:confused: Why? Yet another reason I'm glad I decided to keep my digibook (and my UK Psycho disc) and hold out for individual releases of the others.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Me too. Thanks to this thread, I simply had to check out the music-only track today, and not to rub y'all's noses in it, but it's stupendous.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I bought the UK Hitchcock for circa 65 pounds (black Friday price) and the 3 Warner Brother films ( North/ Strangers/ Dial M) for circa 11 pounds - week price) but I will not throw older DVDs out. I also bought the shorter version of Topaz which I suspect is sold in Japan, France etc I suspect that while I have a 31" TV will show the grain less than 80+ screens, I suspect that the TV quality is less in the US than TVs in Europe which was the case with VCRs years ago. I will try to "test" some of the unprocessed Hitchcocks on bigger screens ( but probably with the german Brand "Loewe" brand - which is a very good TV.) If you look at the Amaz.UK, they don*t have the same complaints as with many at Amazon.com

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Sumnernor said:
ordered a 3 disk (North; Stangers and Dial M"- On the box for North it says under special features "music only audio track" which is not in the menu. I  don't see that option, How did you get it exactly?
wow, sounds like even Warner is confused about which release has the music-only track. It seems to be limited to the single-movie release. Wouldnt it have been simpler for everyone if they were consistent, and just included it on all the releases? I'm abit disappointed that unlike the USA Masterpiece Box, the UK disc didnt have the Vertigo 2.0 English audio.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
After some effort. I was able to send a message to WB. Also I found on my Region 1 and german Region 2 SDs for the 50th anniversary of North .. the music only audio track- IF I hear from Warners, I will post it, I also mentioned about the mono Vertigo being desirable. I have Virtigo on SD "Universal Legacy series with "English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono" also on SD from the Legacy series. IS that what is desired on the Blu-Ray?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For anyone interested, I have just put the following discs up for sale on EBay. These came out of the UK box set. I am selling just the discs (shipped in a standard DVD case) - no cover/artwork. Vertigo - Auction $6.00 - Buy It Now $8.50 Marnie - Auction $5.50 - Buy It Now $7.00 Rope - Auction $5.50 - Buy It Now $7.00 Topaz - Auction $5.50 - Buy It Now $7.00 Family Plot - Auction $5.50 - Buy It Now $7.00 Man Who Knew Too Much - Auction $5.50 - Buy It Now $7.00 David

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Sadsack
I'm abit disappointed that unlike the USA Masterpiece Box, the UK discs didnt have the Vertigo 2.0 English audio, and Psycho 5.1 English audio. Ironically the "Psycho Sound" featurette on "Psycho" is about the making of the 5.1 audio track which isnt included on the disc!
My UK Masterpiece Psycho has English 2.0 mono (DTS-HD MA 2.0) and English 5.1 (DTS-HD MA 5.1).

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Sumnernor said:
I have Virtigo on SD "Universal Legacy series with "English Dolby  Digital 2.0 mono" also on SD from the Legacy series. IS that what is desired on the Blu-Ray?
The region 1 / U.S. "Universal Legacy" SD does not have the original mono -- it has a 2.0 mix down of the 5.1. What you want is the 2.0 mono that is on the U.S. blu-ray... or at the very least the mono track that was included on the SD "velvet box" Masterpiece Collection (though the mono on the U.S. blu-ray is a big bump up).

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
WilliamMcK said:
The region 1 / U.S. "Universal Legacy" SD does not have the original mono -- it has a 2.0 mix down of the 5.1. What you want is the 2.0 mono that is on the U.S. blu-ray... or at the very least the mono track that was included on the SD "velvet box" Masterpiece Collection (though the mono on the U.S. blu-ray is a big bump up).
The UK stand-alone BD (region-free) contains the original mono track in a lossless format. I don't believe any other Blu-ray version does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks