What's new

upconversion question (1 Viewer)

RalphM

Auditioning
In trying to figure out which receiver to buy, I have been very interested in the Yamaha rx-v2600 that includes HDMI upconverson, as well as "upscaling", versus the rx-v 2500 that is virtually identical except for the upconversion and upscaling. In perusing several different forums to gain additional info about upconversion and upscaling, I have found myself somewhat confused. I don't understand exactly what upscaling is and how it differs from upconversion. Also, my new HDTV on order--Sansung HL-R7178 has a native resolution of 1080p, and apparently is able to either upconvert or upscale. In the forums mention has been made that if the tv is going to upconvert (or was it upscale?), the receiver does not need to be able to do it, and that the chip for doing so is likely to be better in the tv than the receiver anyhow. But upon looking at the Samsung online manual there is not enough information to decipher the details of how and when the tv exerts its upconversion. And finally, one sv2600 owner was touting,I believe, the 2600's ability to improve the picture quality of standad def tv, by virtue of the "upscaling". So can anyone enlighten me a little more re upconversion versus upscaling, and whether I should be leaning toward the 2600 or the 2500, given that the Samsung tv itslef appparently can do one or the other, or both. Thanks in advance

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ralph

Upconversion works by taking one type of input (eg. composite, s-video, component) and converts it to HDMI. Of course composite is no where near as good a connection as HDMI but it helps by having to run only one cable to your display device rather than say 5 or 6. (3 s-video 1 component and 2 HDMI for example) Now the reciever will convert composite, etc. to HDMI but doesn't make the picture quality any better thats what an upscaler does. Now if the reciever does both thats a good thing . If the tv has a chip that upscales I say do an A/B test and see which works better.
BTW- Your dvd player may have an upscaler in it too.
I have a yamaha HTR-5790 and love it !
john

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
John has it right..I'm a happy 2500 owner, but here's another thing to ponder...most "experts" suggest that you directly connect video sources (DVD,hdtv/cable box)to your display, bypassing the receiver, so long as the display upscales...fewer connections equal better picture. I've directly connected for years, no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks