Unreal Championship to be patched

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott "E", Jan 12, 2003.

1. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

They'll be fixing a few exploits, but more interesting is that they are going to be adding a way to turn off anti aliasing. Read about it here.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's not the first real patch, you know that, Romier [​IMG]

4. Romier S

Romier S Producer

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's a tricky one - as long as the market demands games come out ASAFP (and I know the desire for the initial batch of Live games to hit their target was exceptionally strong), you'll get games that potentially aren't as well tested (or have as many B/C class bugs cleared) as they should be.

But I do find interesting the turnaround from Microsoft. Prelaunch of the system: "no patching! just upgrades!". Now: "patch!".

Of course, patching of console games isn't something new, it's just something publishers (and Sony) never shouted about. It's not infrequent for games to be mastered from a different build between the first pressing to the second. It gives the developer that little bit extra time to clear up big bugs that don't get noticed until after the title's launched... And any consumer who gets bitten by it simply gets a replacement disk from the second batch which mysteriously fixes the "bad disk" they had.

Most (in)famously, Gran Turismo 2... But it's definitely happened with more than that.

6. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely it goes on with the consoles. I wrote Mass Destruction on the Sega Saturn back in '97. We found out that they'd pressed and shipped an initial batch whilst we were still squashing bugs. I know for a fact I could cause one of the initial batch disks to crash within 5 seconds or so, all because they wouldn't wait.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

9. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

10. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

it looks like microsoft DL'able content is living up to expectations. These fixes are very significant, especially the tag rifle cheaters/and ctf team switchers, as well as rank cheaters. But other things like auto-aim, triangles, and no crouching still hurt. Ghost Recon also has some very significant problems that are going to be fixed(well maybe not all in the first patch either). This leaves mechassault, hopefully microsoft can get the lobby fix in with the first batch of content, that REALLY would be sweet. I think that if it isn't possible to have the game finished by release, what else as a developer are you going to do? This is one of the big three of xbox live's games, so it WASN'T being delayed, especially after bruteforce/starwars/doa/marvel are already postponed. Just as long as they were trying as best as they could to get the stuff in, but fell short due to time restraints, then I 100% agree with patches rather than delays. If it's released 6 months from the games original sell-date, then I'd say it's being abused. Hopefully this won't have to be done too often as companies should be learning.

11. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

Please patch NHL2k3 and the ranking cheat(getting 100 wins per win) and networks being unsyncronized error, thus giving a loss.

12. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

13. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

i see what you are saying, but there are so many noobs on with minimal skill keeping up with the vets with that lightning gun. taking off auto-aim and those triangles that make hiding in some some spots useless would really increase the skill/strategy level needed to play.

14. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

I'll be more than happy with an improved frame rate and as Live hasnt even launched over here yet i'd like to see the patch free with a magazine!

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Paul, you can go sign up (and pay) for Live on the XBox website in the UK. It's not "officially launched", but like in the US, it's fully ramped up.

16. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Cheers Brian, i'll have a look and sign up ... though i'm gonna need a pretty damn long cable, had broadband installed next to my pc which is upstairs and nowhere near the XBox or TV!

17. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator