What's new

Universal U Control questions (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Do I have to have a profile 1.1 or 2.0 to use these features? I have a Sony BD 301 which is 1.0 methinks.

There are a couple new Universal Blus that have the feature Im curious about

Thanks

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Hi Matt,

U-Control can be slightly different things on different discs, so there are occasional graphic-based materials that will be viewable on a 1.0 player. However, the large majority of U-Control content is picture-in-picture based which requires a 1.1 player.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Curious: do you notice lip-sync issues when in the PIP window? Though it's not there in the main pic. It's just fresh in my mind from using U-Control last night, so thought I'd ask just to find out if my player (PS3) handles this "normally"...or not.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've never noticed it on Blu, but it happened ALL THE TIME on HD DVD.

I really hate most U-Control features and implementations tho.... This is a solution in search of a problem. I don't want to have to watch movies 4 times to get all the extras, put em in a freaking menu and you are DONE.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Thanks Patrick. I thought so.

Haventy bought any Uni titles yet but when I do Ill just see if it works or not

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

I was catching up on watching extras from a few discs that night...I think it was U-571 where I noticed the PIP lip sync thing. Not a big deal, nothing I could do about it anyway, presuming if I adjusted then the main pic/sound would be out of sync. The double-edged sword of BD: the tiny PIP pic is clear enough I can still see the tiny lips move...LOL.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
U-Control's "multiple choice" aspect is somewhat frustrating. I much prefer Warner's straight PIP commentary approach.

I was frankly surprised the U-Control was so quickly available on BD discs, pleasantly so since it's noticeably less clunky than it was on HD DVD.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
I'm still not even sure how to activate U-Control. Maybe I'm an idiot, but the on-screen directions leave me blank. I utterly despise this element of Universal Blu-rays and I wonder if they've devised it to avoid the cost of having to create a second disc (SD or BD) for the bonus features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks