What's new

UNIVERSAL: Since Peter Jackson's KING KONG is coming in 2005... (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
How about prepping widescreen R1 DVD editions of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1962) and KING KONG ESCAPES (1968), perhaps as a double-feature DVD (with the original theatrical trailers included), to tie-in with the new film? Couldn't hurt, and I'd certainly buy them.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, but ONLY if they include the original Japanese version of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA, not simply the re-edited, re-scored US version. The original is reportedly much better than the American print, which doesn't surprise me.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Universal wouldn't have the legal rights to release the Japanese version of "King Kong vs. Godzilla" or "King Kong Escapes." Those are solely Toho's property with Universal having US video rights for the American dubs of the films.

I agree that the Japanese version of "King Kong vs. Godzilla" (which I've seen on a subtitled widescreen dub) is superior but at this point I'd settle for a decent widescreen transfer of the cheap pan/scan Goodtimes DVD from a few years back. And a widescreen "King Kong Escapes" would be welcome too.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Has it really been over a year since I started this thread?

Now, less than 5 months before the Peter Jackson remake debuts on theater screens in North America, R1 KING KONG dvd release news is everywhere these days--
  • * Warner's fabulous upcoming editions of the sterling original 1933 KING KONG, plus SON OF KONG, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG and Cooper/Schoedsack's LAST DAYS OF POMPEII

* Paramount's re-issue of the 1976 KING KONG remake

* The planned release of a new/recent cartoon, KONG: KING OF ATLANTIS

* Classic Media's collection of the complete 1966 Rankin-Bass KING KONG cartoon series

--So here's hoping that Universal is prepping a potential November R1 dvd release of the two KONG properties it has in its catalog, the American versions of Toho Studios' KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1962) and KING KONG ESCAPES (1968), both in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. There will be no better time to release these flicks on R1 dvd, from a marketing standpoint, with the possible exception of a tie-in with the home video debut of Jackson's KING KONG remake. Heck, KING KONG ESCAPES was directly spun-off from that cartoon series Classic Media is releasing soon.

The original un-cut Japanese-language versions (with english subtitles) of both films would also be certainly welcome, though I doubt Universal has access to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks