What's new

Typoglycemia (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Typoglycemia

I thought this was amusing... hopefully it hasn't been posted here before. Read on...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed
it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Such a cdonition is arppoiately cllaed Typoglycemia :)-

Amzanig huh? Yaeh and yuo awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorant.
:D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It has. And it's a hoax of course - check your favorite urban legend reference page. Nice try tho :).

--
H

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Hoax or not, I'm surprised that I could make heads or tails of that paragraph without even pausing. :)

Edit: I tried Snopes and nothing comes up for Typoglycemia. What is it under?

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I didn't come up with anything either. I also searched the HTF and only came up with this thread.

It's interesting tho. I don't care if it's been studied or not, it's definately a testament to the power of the mind to fill in the blank spaces that we see.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Nothing at hoaxbusters either?

Agreed. I find it fascinating that we can make sense of such garbled words.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The word "typoglycemia" is new, but I've definitely seen this posted on the HTF before.

Of course, once you start introducing anagrams into the mix, it becomes much harder.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Makes sense. I still find it interesting regardless. Is it really a hoax considering that the main point is that we can decipher words that begin and end with the appropriate letters even though the rest of the word is a mess?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
From Snopes:

Doesn't really classify as a hoax to me. The only real "hoax" may be the university research claim, and that is still undetermined. Doesn't really make the fact that we can clearly read such a mess a hoax. IMHO

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It's a carefully created "mess". The claim regarding the irrelevance of the order of the letters is wrong. Amzanig may be "readable", but azmniag certainly isn't.

At the time I checked the snopes entry, they were not aware of any such study, much less result from Cambridge University.

--
H

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Undetermined is undetermined. ;)

Holadem, I see your point though. Still, I think it's interesting.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I invented typoglycemia (back when it was called "poor spelling") back in the 80's. Nobody ever gives me any credit :angry:

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What's wrong with the hairstyle?

Not really up to date on white male fashion.

--
H

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I wasn't talking about the gentleman in the photograph (though I'm with Holadem…he looks fine to me). I just found an amusing irony in your use of that image, which has been floating around the 'net for at least a couple of years now, to criticize someone else for being "behind the times."

That's all.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Both past threads linked above are quite old. The last one was Feb 2004 and the other was 2003.

We may have had some new members between then and now. ;)

:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks