What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Twentieth Century Fox MOD presents 23 Classic Films for August 2011 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

8db2cf4b_incmelt.jpeg

a9f8953d_masterworld.jpeg

23 Classic Films Coming to DVD
For The First Time Ever

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Announces Classics Available Through Online Retailers

During the Month of August

LOS ANGELES (August 15, 2011) – Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment’s “manufacturing on demand” (“MOD”) program continues to expand with the newest selection of films as part of MGM’s Limited Edition Collection. These 23 films will be available through major online retailers. This group of releases features classics from 1940 to 1995 including performances by Hollywood’s greats – Boris Karloff, Orson Welles, Natalie Wood, Anthony Hopkins and Bill Cosby to name just a few.

Enjoy your favorite movies from across the decades including:

1940’s

• Doomed To Die (1940) - Mr. Wong attempts to solve the murder of a shipping tycoon and the theft of contraband bonds. Stars Boris Karloff; Marjorie Reynolds; Grant Withers; Melvin Lang. Directed by William Nigh.

• Death Valley Rangers (1943) - A succession of stagecoach robberies prompts the citizens of a Death Valley outpost to send for the Trail Blazers, a trio of law-enforcing plainsmen. Stars Ken Maynard; Hoot Gibson; Bob Steele; Linda Brent. Directed by Robert Emmett Tansey.

• Kid Colter (1945) - A country boy is attacked and left for dead in the mountains, but he manages to survive to get his revenge on the men who tried to kill him. Stars Jeremy Shamos; Jim Stafford; Hal Terrance; Jim Turner; Greg Ward. Directed by David O’Malley.

• Tomorrow Is Forever (1945) - Claudette Colbert, Orson Welles, George Brent and Natalie Wood star in this moving, romantic drama about a soldier, previously thought lost in action, who returns years later to find his wife remarried. Stars Claudette Colbert; Orson Welles; George Brent; Natalie Wood. Directed by Irving Pichel.

1950’s

• Raiders of the Seven Seas (1953) - A lusty pirate, Barbarossa (John Payne), escapes from a Spanish prison. With other inmates as crew, he captures a galleon--complete with a Spanish countess (Donna Reed). And, love blooming; he takes on the armada and the garrison in Havana. Stars John Payne; Donna Reed. Directed by Sidney Salkow.

• The Steel Lady (1953) - When their plane crashes in the Sahara, pilot Mike Monohan (Rod Cameron) and his crew try to reach civilization in an old German Afrika Korp tank they find. What they don't know is that hidden on the tank are diamonds. But sheik Mustapha El Melek (John Abbott) does and he tries any scheme to get them for himself. Stars Rod Cameron; John Abbott; John Dehner; Richard Erdman; Tab Hunter. Directed by Ewald Andre Dupont.

• Rebel In Town (1956) - An ex-Confederate soldier accidentally kills a small boy after a bank robbery. Later, the boy's father saves the soldier's life. Stars John Payne; Ruth Roman. Directed by Alfred J. Werker.

• The Broken Star (1956) - Bill Gentry (William Williams), a deputy sheriff meets with resistance when he tries to investigate the murder of a Mexican. However, when he does find the murderer, it turns out to be Frank Smead (Howard Duff), his best friend and a fellow deputy. Stars Howard Duff; Lita Baron; Bill Williams. Directed by Lesley Selander.

• Outlaw’s Son (1957) - The deserted son of an outlaw gets on the town's bad side after killing a local banker, and years later tries to fit into society by becoming a deputy marshal. Stars Dane Clark; Ben Cooper; Lori Nelson; Ellen Drew. Directed by Lesley Selander.

• The Iron Sheriff (1957) - Sterling Hayden plays a sheriff faced with continuing moral dilemmas. Should he relate a deathbed confession which falsely implicates his son in a murder? Should he carry out his threat to cold-bloodedly kill the real murderer--or bring him to legal justice? Stars Sterling Hayden; Constance Ford. Directed by Sidney Salkow.

• Hong Kong Confidential (1958) - In this energetic "B" actioner, Gene Barry portrays a secret agent out to rescue an Arabian prince from Soviet spies. Stars Gene Barry; Beverly Tyler; Allison Hayes. Directed by Edward L. Cahn.

1960’s

• Master of the World (1961) - In 1848, a fanatical inventor seeks to fly around the world and stop war from his flying airship (the "Albatross")...a cross between a zeppelin and a helicopter. Adapted from two Jules Verne novels-- "Master of the World" and "The Conqueror." Stars Vincent Price; Charles Bronson; Henry Hull; Mary Webster; David Frankham. Written by Richard Matheson. Directed by William Witney.

• Hero’s Island (1962) - On an island off the Carolina coast, an 18th-century family is being besieged by murderous local fisherman. An outsider (Warren Oates) joins the family, aided by a mysterious stranger who turns out to be Blackbeard the Pirate! Stars James Mason; Kate Manx; Neville Brand; Rip Torn. Directed by Leslie Stevens.

• One Man’s Way (1963) - Don Murray is wonderful in his portrayal of Norman Vincent Peale in this moving biographical drama based on the life of the world-famous minister, lecturer and best-selling author. Diana Hyland makes her film debut. Stars Don Murray; Diana Hyland; William Windom. Directed by Denis Sanders.

• The Glory Stompers (1967) - The motorcycle-gang leader of the Black Souls steals the girlfriend of the rival Glory Stompers' leader in a fracas. In revenge, the Glory Stompers go after the Black Souls to get the young woman back, who had nearly been sold into the Mexican white-slave market. Stars Dennis Hopper; Jody McCrea; Chris Noel. Directed by Anthony M. Lanza.

• It Rains In My Village (1969) - In a rural Yugoslavian village, social and psychological tensions rise when a young swineherder is seduced and abandoned by a schoolteacher, kills his young wife, and his father takes the blame. Stars Annie Girardot; Ivan Paluch; Eva Ras. Directed by Aleksander Petrovic.

1970’s

• A Quiet Place in the Country (1970) - A popular painter, plagued by nightmares that he and his lover/sales agent are engaging in bizarre, ritualistic, sadistic sexual acts, seeks to escape the city and rent a house in the country. Stars Vanessa Redgrave; Franco Nero; Georges Geret. Directed by Elio Petri.

• The Revolutionary (1970) - A radical student feels that he has been betrayed by the college association to which he belongs, and thinks more violent actions must be taken in order to alter the existing system. Stars Jon Voight; Seymour Cassel; Robert Duvall. Directed by Paul Williams.

• Hickey and Boggs (1972) - Bill Cosby and Robert Culp ("I Spy") are united again as private eyes in this Walter Hill-scripted "film noir." Searching for a missing girl, they find themselves involved with vicious criminals and precipitating a string of deaths. Stars Robert Culp; Bill Cosby. Directed by Robert Culp.

• The Incredible Melting Man (1977) - An astronaut contracts a disease that causes his flesh to melt. In order to stop the rapid deterioration of his flesh is to feed on the flesh of other human beings. Stars Alex Rebar; Michael Alldredge; Burr Debenning; Myron Healey. Directed by William Sachs.

1990’s

• The Last of the Finest (1990) - An honest, independent-minded Los Angeles cop and his comrades discover sinister forces at work while attempting to bust drug traffickers. Stars Brian Dennehy; Joe Pantoliano; Jeff Fahey; Bill Paxton; Deborra-Lee Furness; Guy Boyd; Henry Darrow. Directed by John Mackenzie.

• Captain America (1992) - The Red Skull defeats Captain America in 1941, but the super hero is thrown into suspended animation. Captain America is revived 50 years later to face the Red Skull one more time. Stars Matt Salinger; Ronny Cox; Ned Beatty; Darren McGavin; Michael Nouri; Melinda Dillon; Kim Gillingham; Scott Paulin. Directed by Albert Pyun.

• August (1995) - Set in 1890s North Wales over a long, hot August weekend, the Victorian calm of a household is suddenly upset with the arrival of a London couple who impose their city ways and thoughts on the more rurally based family. An adaptation of Anton Chekhov's play, "Uncle Vanya. Stars Anthony Hopkins; Leslie Phillips; Kate Burton; Gawn Grainger; Rhian Morgan. Directed by Anthony Hopkins.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Strange to see a Mr. Wong film released in this program, since the complete films were released in pretty good shape in the recent VCI set. However, Doomed To Die was easily the worst looking one, so I imagine this is a welcome addition. Also particularly glad to see the RKO refugee, Tomorrow is Forever.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I'm glad they are releasing so many genre films but I'd like them to release some regular drama films as well, such as: The Macomber Affair (1947) The Bachelor Party (1957) A Child is Waiting (1963) Ladybug Ladybug (1963) The Bay Boy (1984) My American Cousin (1985) My American Boyfriend (1989) Martin's Day (1985)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's strange that it is financially rewarding to Fox to release MGM material, but it is not rewarding to release Fox material.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Agreed. Why isn't Fox releasing some titles from its own vault?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
jdee28 said:
Agreed. Why isn't Fox releasing some titles from its own vault?
. . . and when will Chad Hanna be available? A young Henry Fonda . . . a very young Linda Darnell . . . . early Technicolor . . . a charming movie.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I guess i have to chime in on this too . Why isn't Fox putting out any of the many classic films they have in their possession ? When i seen their name attached to this program i thought maybe . But zero zilch nada . What gives?

I'd like to see the remaining Shirley Temple movies. A couple of her classics were only released on vhs.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

It's strange that it is financially rewarding to Fox to release MGM material, but it is not rewarding to release Fox material.

I very much agree with you. What is Fox waiting for. The said over a year ago they were going to do some sort of MOD program, but again Fox teases and then goes away. I understand that Twilight Time has 150 Fox titles and they are going to start doing two releases a month. Hopefully some of those titles I want, early Fox Cinemascope, are in that bunch. Other than that, I want some Betty Grable and Alice Faye.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

I'd like to see the remaining Shirley Temple movies. A couple of her classics were only released on vhs.

Hey Eric - Which two titles?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
ahollis said:
I very much agree with you.  What is Fox waiting for.  The said over a year ago they were going to do some sort of MOD program, but again Fox teases and then goes away.  I understand that Twilight Time has 150 Fox titles and they are going to start doing two releases a month.  Hopefully some of those titles I want, early Fox Cinemascope, are in that bunch.  Other than that, I want some Betty Grable and Alice Faye. 

WHY should FOX release their own stuff when - 1) Twilight Time and Others are willing to licence and release the library titles -making money for FOX without any risk or outlay. 2) They handle MGM's releases without having to go through the trouble of transfers/mastering, and generate revenue by Handling the marketing and sales.,without all the outlay.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The transfer of Poor Little Rich Girl that's been shown for the last few years on TCM is in pretty awful shape. I guess they didn't release it with the others because it looks so much worse than most of the others do.

That may be the case, but they released it on vhs....I guess I will have to settle for that....and I think it was colorized.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
WHY should FOX release their own stuff when - 1) Twilight Time and Others are willing to licence and release the library titles -making money for FOX without any risk or outlay. 2) They handle MGM's releases without having to go through the trouble of transfers/mastering, and generate revenue by Handling the marketing and sales.,without all the outlay.
You got it! Fox has zero interest in its own catalog. Maybe after Rupert Murdoch passes away, things will be different but right now that's just the way it is. http://thecinemascopecat.blogspot.com

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
ahollis said:
I very much agree with you.  What is Fox waiting for.  The said over a year ago they were going to do some sort of MOD program, but again Fox teases and then goes away.  I understand that Twilight Time has 150 Fox titles and they are going to start doing two releases a month.  Hopefully some of those titles I want, early Fox Cinemascope, are in that bunch.  Other than that, I want some Betty Grable and Alice Faye. 

i want some grable too.... one of my projects this summer was to make dvd-r copies of my grable musicals on vhs and on my dvr. FIFTEEN films of hers, i'm working on, including making the artwork for the cases.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattH. said:
The transfer of Poor Little Rich Girl that's been shown for the last few years on TCM is in pretty awful shape. I guess they didn't release it with the others because it looks so much worse than most of the others do.
Actually, I do not think its that bad. Curly Top and Baby Take a Bow are worse. I have a feeling that Fox used their VHS masters for their DVDs anyway. This is the 75th anniversary year for Poor Little Rich Girl, which is one of her best features and contains some of her best songs, partially thanks to Alice Faye vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks