What's new

Turntable questions for you vinyl junkies (1 Viewer)

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I have an 80's era Dual CS-508 turntable, but the stylus is shot. It's an Ortofon "mini" (I'm not sure what to call it) that Link Removed. (click on link)
So, I want do start digging into my vinyl again, and for the time being, do it as cheaply as possible... yet still get something reasonably satisfying.
So poking aorund needledoctor.com I find this Link Removed. Link Removed
It's $55 and seems that it would allow me to use standard mount cartidges on my turntable.
This brings me to the cartridge. I'd like to spend not too much at first... maybe under $75? A friend has a Link Removed and is happy. anything else in the under $75 range to look at. Usage will probably be measured in single digit hours per week.
Next up... phono preamp. My receiver doesn't have one (Marantz). For this, I'd like to try to stick as close to $100 as possible.
Link Removed - $120
NAD PP-1 - $110
Parasound PPH-100 - $120
I've read that the Parasound is the way to go. Any comments? Needle Doctor seems to have only the Sumiko, and I'd like to order everything from one place if I can (plus they really helped out my friend who was doing a similar upgrade, do I'd like to give them my business.
So with the adapter, cartridge, and pre-amp, I'd be in it for $235, which is about as much as I'd like to spend right now. Plus, I think this gives me an opportunity to get started and then upgrade the turntable sometime in the future (allowing me to hang onto the cartridge and pre-amp).
Does it sound like I'm marching in the right direction?
Thanks for any help and suggestions!
-Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was a big fan of Joe Grado's moving-magnet cartridges. Very musical. (I've owned several.)

What sort of Marantz receiver are you using? Are you sure it doesn't have a phono stage?

As for Sumiko, they make moving-coil cartridges, and those do require a "pre-preamp," since they have such low output compared with moving-magnet pickups.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
As for Sumiko, they make moving-coil cartridges, and those do require a "pre-preamp," since they have such low output compared with moving-magnet pickups.
The Sumiko and Parasound (link is to .pdf file) preamps are switchable between MM and MC. The NAD is MM only .
The Grado I was interested in is a MM, as are (I believe) most of the lower-end cartridges, so I think I'm OK with any of the phono pre-amp choices I've made, correct?
One more question. The Needle Doctor says that cartridge is available in "standard mount" or "P-mount". Can someone explain to me the difference. I do believe that the Link Removed I'm interested in accepts standard mount.
Thanks!
-Steve

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Another possibility for a phono preamp is the Rotel. It retails for about $200 but you can find used ones on eBay and elsewhere for $125 or so. Both MM and MC capable and probably better quality than the Parasound and NAD. I'm quite happy with mine.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I've been using the Sumiko Phono Box for almost a year with good results. The only cartridge close to your price range I've tried is the Ortofon OM-10 which I would not recommend since it's a pretty poor tracker. You may want to search the archives on Audio Asylum for more information regarding your table and cartridge options.
-Mike...

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Mike, I did scour Audio Asylum looking for information. I even posted basically the same message as I posted here, but didn't get much response.

I think I'll go ahead and get everything from Needle Doctor. At worst if the adpater doesn't work well with my setup, I'll be out the $55. I'll need a new turntable, but at least I'll have a half-decent cartridge and phono preamp to get started with.

-Steve

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I even posted basically the same message as I posted here, but didn't get much response.
Folks there are kinda moody sometimes :D. You can ask the same question a few weeks later and get dozens of responses. Kinda funny bunch but they have more collective knowledge on vinyl than any group I've ever seen.
I think the adapter will work for you but I don't have any experience with that table. I did see a few folks mention that they were getting good results with the 508 once it was dialed in.
Good Luck! It may be a bit of a PITA to get a vinyl rig set up, but it's VERY rewarding.
-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks