What's new

TRON: Legacy (2010) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've heard that TRON hardly even shows up in the film. Is that true?

The reviews (even the good ones) seem to display such mixed feelings that it has to be a TRON movie. IIRC, the first one didn't get much in the way of glowing reviews either.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
I was originally planning on lining up early for the midnight show tomorrow but now I'll probably just show up about 4 hours before. I just don't feel the buzz right now.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
My local IMAX is already sold out, and has added a 3 a.m. showing. I'd love to know how many people show up for the second one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
We had a large group wanting to see Tron on IMAX, and by the time we settled on the day and time, only half the group was able to buy tickets for the agreed upon showing, so only half of us will see it tomorrow night, I guess the other half will see it on Saturday night.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Saw it last night at midnight with a pretty large crowd. While the script could have used a little more work, I had no problem following or figuring out any of the plot points. The 3D and special effects were fantastic and really drew you into the cyberpunk world of TRON. Also loved the Daft Punk score. I enjoyed it and would give it a B. Hope we get a sequel.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm of two minds on this movie. Saw the IMAX 3D version of it. The sound design is impressive and immersive. There is a lot of IMAX-sized footage in the IMAX version of the film (meaning the entire IMAX screen is filled with visual footage periodically, though is there a rhyme or reason for when it happens, I'm not sure yet). But the overall story wasn't all that great.

The script is dialogue-challenged in terms of it being rather dull and uninspired, which resulted in average acting performances from the main cast, though Michael Sheen chews a lot of scenery in his limited screen-time. The plotline is overly complicated without needing it to be, meaning they go down certain paths, but it isn't meaningful or necessary, making its running time about 20 minutes too long for the story being told. The final act seems to go on forever, and my group was confused at the end.

But, even with the uneven pacing problems, the visuals are quite fun to watch, but it can be a little tiring to watch so much dark/white footage in long stretches.

Should you see it in IMAX 3D? Sure, if you can spare the cash outlay and have an IMAX theater nearby. It's worth seeing once on the IMAX screen for the sheer spectacle and scale of the set design and other interesting vehicle designs.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+. (A for visuals, but the actual story/acting was so-so).

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I loved every second of TRON Legacy.

Thought the script was more than serviceable and the characters were strong enough to keep me vested. The visuals and the action, of course, were perhaps some of the most amazing ever put on screen.

The funny thing is that I'm not a huge fan of the original film but I ate up every last second of part 2.

Can't wait to see it again - this was the experience I wanted last year when I went to see Avatar (instead I was bored to tears and amazing annoyed).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Not impressed. Should have learned my lesson from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sequels from aged films aren't very good in my opinion Great soundtrack though.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Reviewers confuse me. They're reviewing a movie about a person trapped inside a computer. If you can't get past THAT, then of course you're going to think the movie's silly.

I thought it was great. I didn't realize until 90 minutes into the film that I hadn't opened the candy I bought. I was *THAT* immersed in it.

"Thin plot"? I don't understand that. It had a plot. It wasn't three people standing around for 127m. It made sense in the *context* of the world you're watching.

I really want to slap some reviewers sometimes. I read some of them on rottentomatoes.com and I read enough to realize that people either aren't paying attention to the movie, or they don't understand it, so they hide that by saying the movie's bad.

A+

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My family and I just saw it in 3D and it was everything I hoped it would be. I was very entertained and thoroughly enjoyed it. To give some idea what that means, I do not like the whole push for every movie to be 3D and I hate the money grubbing $3 surcharge for 3D movies but that didn't bother me one bit for Tron Legacy. There were many one-off references to the original movie but you didn't have to be familiar with the first one to enjoy this one. I thought the soundtrack was a perfect match for the movie and the plot was simple but not stupid.

The teenager at the theater taking tickets asked me if I had seen the first one. Yes I did and in the theater when it came out.

Absolutely loving it !!! The special effects are they reason that I wanted to see this movies and god... What a movie experience it was ! Saw it in a brand new REAL3D ULTRAAVX theater ! The room was big ( 400-500 sieges ) with a big screen and a MONSTRUOUS sound system !!! The 3d effects were excellent and I was suprised that they don t tryed to put BIG IN YOUR FACE 3D EFFECTS all over the place in the movie. They put it a lot, but a lot of them were very subtile so for me, it was very fun to try to catch every 3d effects in this film. This is a movie perfect for a repeated experience.

Plot wise, it wasn't the best of the year but I really dont care at this stage : I was there for a fun ride and it delivered. The special effects are so amazing then I get let down by the slow moments in the film. Definitively this movies falls in the category : THE MORE, THE BIGGER, THE BETTER !!! lol

Cant t wait for the Blu Ray version and in the meantime, I go back tomorrow at the same theater with a friend :):):)

PS : GLORIOUS 7.1 sound !!!!

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
I'm with everyone else. It's not perfect but damn, is it an experience. It's a very, very solid film that does add some interesting ideas within the plot that I hope get expanded upon in the eventual sequel...especially the situation with Quorra (what she is and what she represents, considering the allegory within the film).

Visually, this film is a marvel. My reaction to the visuals was about the same as the reaction when the Phantom Menace opened 11 years ago. It's a world, like Coruscant or Naboo, or the rest of the worlds in the Prequels, that I would love to visit and spend more time there. It just didn't get stale. It become more alive and vibrant on my second viewing.

I really hope this film makes a decent amount of cash so Disney will green light a sequel. I would just love to know where they're going to take this thing.

A very solid B+

The Blu Ray is going to be INSANE!

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
It's nice to see a little more love for Legacy. I saw it Friday and thought it was solid, the soundtrack was good, and it had some fine ass.

I was surprised by the casting of the Sam's Encom "rival". The minute he came into the picture I said "Hey, I didn't know he was in this." to no one in particular. I was equally surprised when

they did absolutely nothing with the character. This was one of a few subplots I expected to see, that never materialized. Was it trimmed, or did the writers just forget about all the additional cool stuff they could have done? If you're going to hire Cillian Murphy, do something with him!

I doubt their will be a sequel.

Doug

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Looks like weekend estimates have Legacy pulling in around $47 million. Not bad. Now let's see if it has legs. I'm certainly hoping it does so that we get a sequel.

NolanJ

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Mike_G

Reviewers confuse me. They're reviewing a movie about a person trapped inside a computer. If you can't get past THAT, then of course you're going to think the movie's silly.

I thought it was great. I didn't realize until 90 minutes into the film that I hadn't opened the candy I bought. I was *THAT* immersed in it.

"Thin plot"? I don't understand that. It had a plot. It wasn't three people standing around for 127m. It made sense in the *context* of the world you're watching.

I really want to slap some reviewers sometimes. I read some of them on rottentomatoes.com and I read enough to realize that people either aren't paying attention to the movie, or they don't understand it, so they hide that by saying the movie's bad.

A+

I agree with this review 100%

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I'm also glad to see some positive responses here.

I'll definitely be going back for a repeat viewing this week ... I haven't had that much fun at the movies in a long time.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen this movie yet, but based on the trailers this movie looks about how you would expect a Tron movie made in 2010 to look. And that's my problem with it. The original Tron was and still is absolutely unique in the world it created. It was over the top surreal. The imagination on display was incredible. With the technology we have today they had the opportunity to create something truly whacked out and trippy but they went the predictable cyberpunk/matrix route. That's what I find so dissapointing about the whole thing.

Again, I haven't seen the movie so I guess it's possible all the amazing stuff wasn't in the trailers but I kind of doubt it.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Originally Posted by Doug Miller

I was surprised by the casting of the Sam's Encom "rival". The minute he came into the picture I said "Hey, I didn't know he was in this." to no one in particular. I was equally surprised when

they did absolutely nothing with the character. This was one of a few subplots I expected to see, that never materialized. Was it trimmed, or did the writers just forget about all the additional cool stuff they could have done? If you're going to hire Cillian Murphy, do something with him!

I doubt their will be a sequel.

Doug

The eye candy and the ear candy were both fantastic. See it in IMAX, if you can.

Spoilery stuff for Doug:

I read an interview with Boxleitner where he mentioned that the ENCOM stuff was part of the reshoots that were done, so maybe Murphy was added at the last minute?

If there's a third film (and Disney seem to be going all-in with Tron, so it's likely if the film doesn't crap the bed), you know he'll be the villain. I was kinda surprised they didn't have him affect an English accent, FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks