What's new

Toshiba SD4800 or the Sony DVPNS755V? (1 Viewer)

Bryan_d

Grip
Not sure which one would be better for me. I am extremely interested in its CD sound quality and it will be used on a non HDTV. I know seperate DVD and CD are reccomended but cabinet space is an isuue. It is going to run through the Sony STRDA4ES with a Wharfedale Diamond setup. Any insight is appreciated.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure which one would be better for me. I am extremely interested in its CD sound quality and it will be used on a non HDTV. I know seperate DVD and CD are reccomended but cabinet space is an isuue.
My suggestion would be to decide if DVD-A or SACD have titles you're interested in, then select the player that plays that format. I bought the 755V and love it, but the 4800 is good, too. Both should pass the Red Book PCM signal off CDs to your receiver just fine.

BTW, check out the latest issue of 'The Perfect Vision' for a comparison of a bunch of DVD players. Both of these units got high marks.

:) i had a toshiba 4800 hooked to a toshiba 65h82 and the
picture sucked,had to crank the brightness down to minus 5
to get a good picture.i am not a big sony fan but i hooked a
sony 715p dvd player to the 65h82 and the picture was perfect.
i have a good amp and good speakers and the sound is very good.
having never been a sony fan i must say that the 715p is a
very good dvd player and am surprised how bad the 4800 was.
i trully believe that a dvd and tv combination can make a big
diff in what kind of picture you get.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
having never been a sony fan i must say that the 715p is a very good dvd player and am surprised how bad the 4800 was. i trully believe that a dvd and tv combination can make a big diff in what kind of picture you get.
I agree that the combination of player and TV can be crucial. I watched the Toshiba 5700 on a Sony Wega, and it looked great - sharp and good colors. The Panasonic 62, usually considered an excellent player, didn't look nearly as good. You should probably try your final choices out on your own TV to make sure the combination works for you.

I don't know why you don't like Sony players. I've always liked the fast response, the remotes and menues, and the picture and sound quality compared to other brands. They do typically cost a little more than Panasonic and Toshiba players with the same features, though. I guess everyone has their favorites.

Peter

JasonCramer

Auditioning
i have the toshiba sd-4800 on a toshiba tn61x81 and the picture looks amazing....much better than using the ps2 with component video outputs. i agree that you should try them on your television as models seem to vary depending on age, settings, etc. you can always return it to most authorized dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks