What's new

Toshiba SD-5700's on clearance (1 Viewer)

DaveMcS

Second Unit
at Boston area Tweeter's.
I was told Toshiba has disco'ed them and they are looking to sell off their stock to make room for newer stock.
199.95 plus tax..
According to PriceSCAN.com that beats the nearest online seller by 20.00 and shipping charges..
http://www.pricescan.com/electronics...item511204.asp
Even beats the minefields on eBay by a few bucks too !!
Just an FYI to you NewEngland folks..

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Do you know if this applies to Connecticut based Tweeter's as well? I may have to take a ride this afternoon.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
I'm not sure..At this point I think they are down to selling off stock in each store..so it's best you CALL around and have them hold it for you..I got the only unopened one from the Boylston Street location.
(and to think I was only in to check out the open box sale table..)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Not surprising since the new SD4800 is going for the same price at the local Best Buys in NE. Will there be a SD5800?

cheers,

--tom

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, here in CT, the 5700 was on sale for $249...a full $50 higher than in Boston:frowning:

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Call the Boston store...and have them "sell" you one..and transfer it to the CT stoer...it might work...

Ted Ross

Second Unit
The replacement toshibas are essentially the same player so your really not getting anything new(except a jpeg viewer)

Brian O

Second Unit
Incorrect Ted, new 4800 has scaling capabilities and black letterbox and/or borders instead of grey for certain situations. These are biggies to many people.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Incorrect Ted, new 4800 has scaling capabilities and black letterbox and/or borders instead of grey for certain situations. These are biggies to many people.

So did my 5700

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Evan,

Go back to the Tweeter store and ask again. The salesperson is wrong about the price.

I work at the Tweeter corporate office in Canton, MA. I assure you that the price is $197.00 in all Tweeter stores.

Thos.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Does the 5700 have the Chroma Bug???

yes it does, but its very hard to see compared to other chipsets that have it as well

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, thanks for the tip. Actually, I didn't even talk to a salesperson. Saw the unit on display with a sign next to it showing a sale price of $249 and thought, "Well, that's good enough for me...not buyin' it."

Now it might be my player of choice.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I just called the Tweeter in nashua, Nh and they have the SD5700 listed for $197 at their store. he said that they have the SD4800 in their warehouse but that on the computer it is not listed as being released yet - with a date of 10/15 on it. It's obviously been released so it sounds like Tweeter doesn't want to stock it in their stores till they sell off last year's inventory. Right now, assuming silver is an acceptable color :), I'm debating between the SD3800 ($162 at Best Buy) and the SD5700 ($197 at Tweeter) this weekend or holding out and getting the SD4800 later when it's back in stock at the local Best Buy stores. I can't find any information on whether there is any difference between the SD3800 and SD4800 besides the color and the built in DD/DVD-Audio decoder on the 4800 model. I really aren't interested in DVD-Audio at the moment and don't need the DD decoder since my receiver handles that well at the moment. I am most interested in video performance on an interlaced display.
Anyone have any information on other possible internal differences?
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks