What's new

toshiba ghosting? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I've about had it with the TV I love so much, so I'm hoping someone in this forum section can help me out. I have a Toshiba TW40F80 (I believe, purchased in mid 1998, practically an antique!). One of the best entertainment investments I have ever made. But it has a strange anomalie that I don't understand: dark subjects on lighter backgrounds sometimes "ghost" across the screen.

For example, I will use the movie I watched last night. if you would pop in the MGM DVD of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (most recent version of this film on DVD, widescreen version of course), and go right to Chapter 1, 0:01:35. Clarice is running away from the camera into the woods. Right before the credits begin appearing over that image, I see the "shadow" of her darker haired head ghosting across the whole of the screen at the level of her head. The ghosting bobs up and down across the whole screen in line with her head as she runs. It looks like a reflection (and I just cued the bit up on my computer's DVD-ROM and didn't see anything that resembled the ghosting).

My TW40F80 is calibrated using AVIA, and looks spectacular otherwise. It's just this thing: dark figures against lighter backgrounds show a ghost shadow across the background. (I find that this happens mostly with more modern films, as opposed to older movies.)

Please help! What causes this ghosting? Can I calibrate it away by some magical equation of brightness and contrast settings? Does it have something to do with the "screen protector" of the TV and if so can I remove the "screen protector"?

Micah

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Sony and Pioneer among others have also had this issue with their sets over the years. There is no fix for it ... in any generation of sets ...

Nothing in a calibration session will change this.

Regards

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Thanks Michael... I guess that makes me sad.

I see that you are an ISF Calibrationist -- but it wouldn't be worth while (would it?) to try to find someone local here in Baltimore to ISF calibrate this TV, would it?

What causes the ghosting?

MC

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Calibration is one thing ... and it would improve your image, but it won't fix this particular issue.

Kinda like tuning the car up won't fix a rust problem.

In Baltimore ... possibly contact Chuck Williams out of DC.

I had first hand experience with this shadowing effect when I had a 51 Inch Pioneer in 1995. It had the same problem and I argued with Pioneer for 8 months before they relented and gave me a replacement unit of the following year's model. The problem was inherent in all the line at that time. They fixed it in the following year .

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks