What's new

Tosh. Cinema Series 56MX195 (1 Viewer)

Kirk_T

Agent
Have decided on this set for our main TV area.

Any thoughts on this set??

$2999 @ local retailer + free 27" TV.

Thanks,

Kirk

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

TV seems optimized for HDMI rather than the other inputs. Grayscale geared toward hdmi.

Sharpness should be close to zero to eliminate ringing of image.

Regards

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Nice TV. Ignoring the "free" TV, that deal seems right on the edge of the "too good to be true" point dealing with a local retailer but I'm not that familiar with the DLP marketplace.

Kirk_T

Agent
Thanks for the responses Micheal and Dick.

Michael, what do you mean by this??

Dick, I lived for about 10 years in Vienna, VA. What part are you from? As for the price, this is a reputable retailer that has it on sale. They are also offering a 5% store credit based on volume and another 2% store credit thing. Add in the cash back from the credit card company and we are almost down to nothing. :)

Thanks, Kirk

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Kirk,

Effectively, I think, he means that based on his experience the TV will work best with and HDMI input. That's a consideration for a DVD player's connection to the TV for instance.

I'm not far from there, Centreville. If you've not been here for say the last 5 years or so you'd hardly recognize the place. Explosive growth to the west of Vienna all the way to Gainsville on the south and Leesburg to the north. Oh, wait, if you're in Las Vegas now you might just find all that pretty normal ;)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

What is meant is that grayscale calibration is more limited because of the way the SM is layed out. Typically ... grayscale is done with parameters controlling both the dark end and the light end. Cuts and drivers ... 2 or 3 controls on each end ... thus giving you good control for grayscale.

On this new set ... the expected 4-6 cut and driver controls do not function for non HDMI input material. All that is left is a pair of 3 offset gryascale controls ... that might control the midrange or something else. This can severely limit good grayscale tracking.

(Fortunately, for whatever reason, just using these three controls still results in a very decent grayscale ... at least for a couple of samples I have worked on.)

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks