What's new

Tom Cruise & The Last Samurai the latest news (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
It seems that Timothy Spall is set to join Cruise again after also being in Vanilla Sky.
The Last Samuria tells the story of "an American Civil War veteran who travels to Japan as a mercenary. He helps the Emperor's army against the samurai warlords." and is being scripted by John Logan of Gladiator fame. Link Removed
Filming starts in early 2003 in Japan and New Zealand.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Thanks, Oscar. Sounds interesting. Let's just hope that it turns out better than Gladiator...

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
thousands? why dont you guys stop watching movies entirely so that you dont have to waste your time with ANY silly movie entirely?

Brian E

Screenwriter
Maybe because we like movies. No one said they wasted their time watching Gladiator. They expressed their opinion that there were better movies than Gladiator. Besides you asked.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
they expressed their opinion in such a way that made gladiator sounded like shit. thousands of movies might best gladiator, but i am sure gazillion more worse than it.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Lets make this into a poll, who likes Gladiator Yey or Ney! Seriously though Gladiator is one of those movies that some people around here think is overrated being that it didnt deserve all the Academy Award praise, other movies like Braveheart and Titanic generally fall in that area as well. Personally I felt Gladiator was a great movie, its competiton at the Academy Awards was Traffic and Crouching Tiger, Traffic was good but not great which is why it didnt win, I have yet to see Tiger so can't comment there.

Alex S

Second Unit
I thought this was a thread about The Last Samurai.
Why do we need everyone's opinions on Gladiator ?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I argee. This thread is about The Last Samurai not Gladiator. I will be interested in seeing some clips. It would have been nice if it was based on the book The Sun Rises by Colin Maxwell. In that book the civil war officer has to travel to Japan because he was framed for murder and is trying to stay free. While in Japan he falls in love with an Englishwoman who is a slave to one of Japan's greatest Samurai swordsman. If I remember the book spans about 10 years.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Sorry if I helped to hijack this thread off-topic, but felix's first post just demanded my response (being a smart-ass who didn't like Gladiator). ;)
For the record, The Last Samurai sounds very intriguing, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. BTW, what role did Timothy Spall play in Vanilla Sky?

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Timothy Spall played the British advisor to Tom Cruise's character, who stood by him when he was injured, and the Seven Dwarfs were trying to take over the company.
And, before you say "thanks," keep in mind that I liked Gladiator, too. :)

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
I am very interested in this film since I am fascinated with that part of Japan's history. Let's hope it doesn't turn into the usual drek that spews forth from Hollywood these days. I can see it now...cut to slo-mo decaptiation showing every bit of gristle with DMX rapping in the soundtrack.:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks