What's new

To Match or Not to Match (brands) (1 Viewer)

john.michael

Agent
Guys,

I am on the planning stage of my HT, which will be an allmost fully dedicated 26x14X12 room (wife will have a small office).

For now I have decided on the following gear:

- Marantz 12S3
- 4 B&W Nautilus 805's
- B&W HTM1
- B&W SCM 1 for the rear
- Velodyne DD series (somethingo from 12 to 18", do not know yet).

As for the AV processor, I am probably going for the Lexicon MC-8b (thought about the MC-12b, but I do not need 3 zones and I do see much difference between the two apart from that).

Finnaly comes my question for you guys:

Should I match the MC-8 with a Lexicon LX-7 (it fits within my budget)?

It seems to make LOTS of sense to unite two equipments that were probably developed having each other's specs in mind.

However, for the same money I can get the Krell Showcase 7 (or a bunch of other stuff, as a matter of fact). I know the Lexicon AV processor is great, I just am not very sure if I would be getting full value for my $$$with the amp.

The truth is I would only go for the LX 7 if 2 assumptions are true: (1) The amp is good value for the buck and (2) the "brand match thing" really would cover for any shortcomings. Any thoughts, sugestions and alternatives will be very VERY welcome.

All the best to everyone

JM

John S

Senior HTF Member
I vote krell!!! I can't put my finger on it, but I do not like the sound of the LX7, especially compared to a Krell.

I'm prepared for flamming from LX7 fans, so bring it on. lol

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
You don't have to match, I certainly didn't (Lexicon + Tag Mclaren poweramps)

Checkout some comments on the Krell Showcase on SMR forum. They're dissed it man. ;-)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I use the Anthem Statement D1 with a Bryston 4BSST. No need to match them at all.

I did heard the Krell, but both the Bryston SP1.7 and the Anthem D1 were sounding better to my ears.

And you can't upgrade the Krell...

The D1 will have firewire, HDMI switching and video transcoding in the next months. Anthem did prove they can do it with the AVM20. One of my friend is using the AVM since 3 years, and with the planned hardare upgrades, he's probably ok for another 2-3 years!

The Anthem D1 with the Anthem Statement P5 is another worthy alternative...

http://statement.anthemav.com

But in those price range, it's really a matter of preferences, sonically, and feature wise.

Try to listen to all those before buying if you can, and do a list of the features you need. In those price range they are all actually sounding pretty good!

john.michael

Agent
The Anthem D1 is a great idea. If they really add the DVI video switch it might get the upper hand against the Lexicon. I e-maild Lexicon and they told me that the MC8 and 12 would need extensive redesign to add DVI and/or HDMI. In other words, Lexicon will have it only on newer products.

In short, as it is a newer product, the Anthem might be mor "future resistant" them the Lexicon.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard Lexicon amps were rebadged Brystons which means they should be very good and last forever...still given the choice I'd take the Krell

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Andrew...

Lexicon LX series amps are manufactured by Crown and the NT series were re-branded Bryston ST units.

The current Lexicon amps were designed by Lexicon but manufactured by Crown. They are not simply rebadged Crown amps as was the case with the earlier NT series amps which were just about the same amp as the comparable Brystons.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
John,
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Lexicon processors. I haven't heard the LX7, but I'm not much for the "brand match thing". I paired my MC-12 with a Lexicon NT-512 for mains only because I was able to get it cheaper than the identical Bryston 4BST. My power amp "farm" also includes two Sumo Andromedas, an Adcom 555, a Holman Apt 1, and a Metron A4000. It all plays together very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks