What's new

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
richard-gallagher has published a new article.

To Have and Have Not Blu-ray Review

To-Have-and-Have-Not-LIFE-2-150x150.jpg

With the release of To Have and Have Not, the Warner Archive has now produced exceptional Blu-rays of all four films which star Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. Directed by Howard Hawks, the film also is collaboration by two of America's greatest novelists, Ernest Hemingway and William Faulkner.

[review]
Continue reading the original article.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One of my all-time favorite films and one I would take to that mythical desert island if I was allowed only ten movies in total. I've seen this film many, many times, in re-run theaters, in film clubs and on television, and I don't think I've ever seen a really good, clean print. I'm delighted this disc is so good and also a little surprised. I suspected Warners might have real problems restoring To Have And Have Not.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Just watched The Big Sky on TCM. This film needs a lot of help. The print looked to be in really bad shape.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Once again pre-ordered from amazon and today this message is on my page.

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Seems to be the same thing that happened to "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and "Victor/Victoria".

Guess I will again play the "Waiting Game"!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Once again pre-ordered from amazon and today this message is on my page.

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Seems to be the same thing that happened to "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and "Victor/Victoria".

Guess I will again play the "Waiting Game"!

Right there with you.

Not yet shipped

Makes me one unhappy B&B fan. :(:popcorn::(

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Since writing the review I sat down and read Hemingway's book. If you think that you know the book because you've seen the movie, think again. The book is very different, and not just because of the locales. It is quite a dissimilar experience.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Since writing the review I sat down and read Hemingway's book. If you think that you know the book because you've seen the movie, think again. The book is very different, and not just because of the locales. It is quite a dissimilar experience.

Richard, have you ever seen The Breaking Point? It is based on the same book. I have never read the book, but The Breaking Point is not very similar to To Have and Have Not. Of course a lot of To Have and Have Not is the relationship between B & B, which is largely copied from Only angels Have Wings and later repeated in Rio Bravo.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Yes, I've seen The Breaking Point. It's closer to the novel than To Have and Have Not, but it's still changed in significant ways. For one thing, the action takes place in California rather than Florida and Cuba, and it ends on a more hopeful note. The book has some peculiarities. It begins written in the first person, with Harry telling the story, and then it changes to the third person. Written during the depths of the Great Depression, Hemingway introduces several characters during the second half of the book who have nothing to do with Harry Morgan, but they give Hemingway an opportunity to criticize wealthy capitalists who come to Key West in their fancy yachts while most of the locals are barely managing to feed their children.

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
Mine here today also. Hope to get a chance to watch it later.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mine arrived this evening.

However with the Cub-Sox games all week, may not get to it until the weekend. (Go Cubs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks