What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just saw that 1.5 review review. Wow. Looks like Andrea Kalas is still defending it. Glad people here recommended the original bluray which I got new cheap on ebay.
I don't believe there has been any further studio discussion since the release

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So he was quoting an old response to the criticism and that was the last. I assume then it will be the definitive 4k of the film. What does Brigitte Auber have to say?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And if there was a deliberate decision to degrain everything because of the extent materials, then why is this a unique situation with To Catch A Thief?

But it's definitely *not* the only/unique case w/ Paramount. Paramount has long been doing such degraining hackjobs since at least the early BD days, if not much earlier. They've had at least as many such bad releases as good ones AFAIK... when they even bothered to release discs at all. Sure, their bad (usually heavily degrained/manipulated) stuff don't always look quite like this, but still often (very) bad nonetheless. They seem to be the one studio that simply hasn't learned much at all about this issue and keep wrongheadedly trying to do this (sometimes w/ new approaches, but still w/ bad results although arguably less bad or passable enough in some cases)... while most of the others had/have learned better for the most part in general...

_Man_

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Like I stated, I can't comment on that Blu-ray release because I never bought it.

The blu-ray is a smeary mess but (and there are others who will vehemently disagree with me) I (too) find the 4K stream to have corrected many of the issues I had with the blu-ray.

Last edited:

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The blu-ray is a smeary mess but (and there are others who will vehemently disagree with me) I (too) find the 4K stream to have corrected many of the issues I had with the blu-ray.
Really? I compared them when they both came out, I found them to be indistinguishable.

Has the iTunes 4K been changed?

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
You can get a free week-trial of Paramount+ through Apple TV or Amazon Prime. I just signed up to see the 4K stream of To Catch a Thief.
I've watched half of it. Not very nice. The scene with Cary on the bus with the old lady and birdcage (and Hitchcock) shows an obvious crop. Every scene where mens' heads are near the top of the frame seem dangerously close to getting scalped. Bleary color that seems to drift to overly cool at times, really ugly blanched highlights.
In the restaurant scene with his former colleagues, Cary's skin is brown gold but with intermittent violet tones around his mouth and hands. I don't like the weird color-shimmering of his striped sweater. Grain is gone, long shots are 420p resolution or worse. The helicopter-filmed car chase through town looks terrible. The VistaVision crisp definition isn't there. It's been homogenized to a smooth, lifeless, flavorless paste. Sign up for a free trial and see what I mean.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
You can get a free week-trial of Paramount+ through Apple TV or Amazon Prime. I just signed up to see the 4K stream of To Catch a Thief.
I've watched half of it. Not very nice. The scene with Cary on the bus with the old lady and birdcage (and Hitchcock) shows an obvious crop. Every scene where mens' heads are near the top of the frame seem dangerously close to getting scalped. Bleary color that seems to drift to overly cool at times, really ugly blanched highlights.
In the restaurant scene with his former colleagues, Cary's skin is brown gold but with intermittent violet tones around his mouth and hands. I don't like the weird color-shimmering of his striped sweater. Grain is gone, long shots are 420p resolution or worse. The helicopter-filmed car chase through town looks terrible. The VistaVision crisp definition isn't there. It's been homogenized to a smooth, lifeless, flavorless paste. Sign up for a free trial and see what I mean.

I'm sorry but where are you getting that Paramount+ is showing a 4k stream? I just put it on and it's a 1080p stream of the same exact transfer as the blu-ray. The Amazon 4k that I purchased is in HDR (as I would assume the iTunes is) and looks quite a bit different. It's far from perfect but it IS better than the blu-ray (I can't even watch the blu-ray) and better than the Paramount+ stream.

The helicopter car chase has never looked good on home video as it's made up of dupes due to the optical dissolves running through it. It doesn't snap back to being 'crisp' until the clean edit that comes right before the two cars stopping for the sheep.

I'm not saying that anyone else has to like it but you can't tell what the 4k stream even looks like from the Paramount+ version.

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'm sorry but where are you getting that Paramount+ is showing a 4k stream? I just put it on and it's a 1080p stream of the same exact transfer as the blu-ray. The Amazon 4k that I purchased is in HDR (as I would assume the iTunes is) and looks quite a bit different. It's far from perfect but it IS better than the blu-ray (I can't even watch the blu-ray) and better than the Paramount+ stream.

The helicopter car chase has never looked good on home video as it's made up of dupes due to the optical dissolves running through it. It doesn't snap back to being 'crisp' until the clean edit that comes right before the two cars stopping for the sheep.

I'm not saying that anyone else has to like it but you can't tell what the 4k stream even looks like from the Paramount+ version.
I don't know. I'm watching via AppleTV. Should I not believe this menu?

IMG_2069.jpg

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I don't know. I'm watching via AppleTV. Should I not believe this menu?

View attachment 199047
I'm sorry, I'm watching it through the Paramount+ app on my OLED and it's not giving me the option of watching it in 4k. All I'm getting through P+ is 1080p and it looks like garbage. AppleTV must have other options available only through them.

If you don't like it you don't like it, what else can I say?

For me, the colors on this release alone are worth putting up with any imperfections until a 4k disc comes along.

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I "bought/free trialed" Paramount+/Showtime via Apple and I'm watching this via a 4k AppleTV. What does your menu screen say when you stop the movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks