What's new

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think there's a bit of sharpening and noise on the old disc, but they've definitely wiped out all the grain on the new one. It has a very digital, processed look to it and just doesn't resemble film.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Sounds like the 2012 disc might be more accurate for color then. Robert, I’ll check out the iTunes version.

I apologize in advance, Nelson, and I don't mean to keep circling back, but when we talk about color "accuracy" (for lack of a better term) I think we're talking about two completely different issues in regards to this title.

On one hand you have the color filters for the night sequences, which is an obvious editorial decision that was, for better or worse, made on both masters and continues to be controversial. I am NOT talking about THOSE editorial decisions at all.

What I AM talking about is that the 2012 disc has, IMO, a mild greenish/yellow cast to the colors (and brownish skin tones) in comparison to the bolder, brighter colors on the 4K remaster. If you watch the Itunes version, pay particular attention to scenes like the flower market and you'll, hopefully, see what I mean. You can ultimately agree or not agree, but I just don't want anyone to think that my initial color comment was in any way related to those goddamned filters, lol.**

** (which I DO realize was my own stupid fault for talking about them in almost the same breath in the first place.)

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I think there's a bit of sharpening and noise on the old disc, but they've definitely wiped out all the grain on the new one. It has a very digital, processed look to it and just doesn't resemble film.
I've noticed that quite a few of the titles on the Paramount Presents series seem to have had some form of grain reduction performed. 48 Hrs, Trading Places and Nashville had less grain than I would have expected for those films. However, any digital tinkering must have been applied subtly, as it was far less obtrusive than on To Catch A Thief. And it wasn't apparent at all on the other VistaVision title published, The Court Jester.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I apologize in advance, Nelson, and I don't mean to keep circling back, but when we talk about color "accuracy" (for lack of a better term) I think we're talking about two completely different issues in regards to this title.

On one hand you have the color filters for the night sequences, which is an obvious editorial decision that was, for better or worse, made on both masters and continues to be controversial. I am NOT talking about THOSE editorial decisions at all.

What I AM talking about is that the 2012 disc has, IMO, a mild greenish/yellow cast to the colors (and brownish skin tones) in comparison to the bolder, brighter colors on the 4K remaster. If you watch the Itunes version, pay particular attention to scenes like the flower market and you'll, hopefully, see what I mean. You can ultimately agree or not agree, but I just don't want anyone to think that my initial color comment was in any way related to those goddamned filters, lol.**

** (which I DO realize was my own stupid fault for talking about them in almost the same breath in the first place.)

Hi Will, thanks for your post and clarifying you were referring to a mild greenish/yellowish cast on the 2012 disc. And tou were not referring to the night color filters.

I don’t have the iTunes version yet, when I upgrade to a 4K capable display, I will check that version out! It sounds like you might prefer it. Is the 2020 blu ray flower market sequence replicated the iTunes version? Or is there a difference?

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Most people don't care if it doesn't resemble film, they only care about how good it looks on their TV.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Most people don't care if it doesn't resemble film, they only care about how good it looks on their TV.
Here we go again!:laugh:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I don’t have the iTunes version yet, when I upgrade to a 4K capable display, I will check that version out! It sounds like you might prefer it. Is the 2020 blu ray flower market sequence replicated the iTunes version? Or is there a difference?

Yeah, to be clear, I don't mind the blue and I don't mind the green. I personally prefer the way they're handled more subtly in the new remaster but I'm not about to get worked up over it either way. I think the rest of the colors look good enough to eat with a spoon and that goes a long way with me.

I've drawn a veil over the new, disappointing blu-ray because, as much as I like the aforementioned color, I think the DNR and downright "smeariness" (my word) in some cases ruins the entire experience. That's just me. I think the 4K version lacks most (I won't say all) of the issues I have with the blu-ray. There is still some DNR applied but I don't find it as egregious as it's a lot less aggressive and detail still shines through. The smeariness of the blu-ray is absent and more than made up for by the really delicious color scheme (what can I say? I'm easy)

I'm fairly certain others will disagree with me so realize that individual mileage may vary.

Though I haven't watched the blu-ray since I first got it, I seem to remember being pretty impressed with the flower market sequence when I DID see it. It stuns in 4k.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again for clarifying your insights between the 2020 blu ray and the 4K Will.

I’ll keep hoping for a 4K blu ray of this film to come out, just wish this last blu ray was definitive. I can always just ignore all the comments and criticisms and enjoy the movie as the movie itself is the thing. :)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
just wish this last blu ray was definitive.

I think we're all in agreement (although I really shouldn't assume) that the blu-ray is a something of a botch job.

I have a "housekeeping" question for you. Can you buy the 4K version if you don't have a 4K TV? Won't it just down-rez it for you to 1080p? It would probably be worth it, IMO, if that's possible.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think we're all in agreement (although I really shouldn't assume) that the blu-ray is a something of a botch job.

I have a "housekeeping" question for you. Can you buy the 4K version if you don't have a 4K TV? Won't it just down-rez it for you to 1080p? It would probably be worth it, IMO, if that's possible.

With streaming, the provider has separate files for 1080p and 4K. Even if you pay for 4K, if the HDMI handshake says that your equipment is only 1080p, the server will send the 1080p file. If you're lucky, they'll be from the same master. But in many cases, the 1080p file may be from an older master.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Even if you pay for 4K, if the HDMI handshake says that your equipment is only 1080p, the server will send the 1080p file.

I wasn't sure but I was afraid of something like that. Thanks for educating me!! :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
With streaming, the provider has separate files for 1080p and 4K. Even if you pay for 4K, if the HDMI handshake says that your equipment is only 1080p, the server will send the 1080p file. If you're lucky, they'll be from the same master. But in many cases, the 1080p file may be from an older master.
Depends on the provider. Vudu pretty much always has old transfers at 1080p, but new for 4K. iTunes on the other hand uploads new transfers to all resolutions.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, from my experience, what Joshua noted above seems to be the way it works. I use iTunes, and I have a few movies that they do have 4K versions of. But when I access the movies via Apple TV, it only gives me access to the 1080 versions. So when I upgrade to the 4K display, my guess is the Apple TV box will sense if the display is 4K capable or not and I’ll see if it will let me stream the 4K version. Last time I checked, my understanding is Apple iTunes will let you download the 1080 video file to your hard drive, but not the 4K.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What occurs when the streaming licensing entity loses a license?

Streaming has, for better or worse, become an umbrella term to describe two different uses of the same technology. There is subscription streaming, those are your Netflix-type services where you pay a flat fee for unlimited access to a curated collection of content. When the license period ends, the content leaves the service. These are the modern day equipment of cable subscriptions.

Then there are digital purchases: iTunes, Vudu and the like. These are the modern day equivalent of purchasing physical media. If the rights change hands or the rights holder decides not to make new copies available, that doesn’t affect existing purchases. You’ll still have the ability to view the material you’ve purchased, but the store won’t be allowed to sell new copies to other customers - basically the same as when a DVD goes out of print. That they’re not making any more copies doesn’t change that you own one already.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Then there are digital purchases: iTunes, Vudu and the like. These are the modern day equivalent of purchasing physical media. If the rights change hands or the rights holder decides not to make new copies available, that doesn’t affect existing purchases. You’ll still have the ability to view the material you’ve purchased, but the store won’t be allowed to sell new copies to other customers - basically the same as when a DVD goes out of print. That they’re not making any more copies doesn’t change that you own one already.
I suppose the real danger is that the digital storefront itself shuts down. Not that I see Apple or Walmart going under anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks