What's new

Tires - Highlander versus Camry (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
First I want to say "thanks" to Toyota for putting the least possible tires on their new vehicles. Our Sienna got ~30k out of it's factory tires, our Highlander 27k... pretty pitiful.

So I go to the Good Year dealer to inquire about tires for the Highlander. He pulls up the usual tires for SUV's.... I request he stop stroking my ego and that the only off-road my 2wd Highlander does is a gravel parking lot. He still pulls up tires that I consider "heavy duty", because that's what the computer comes up with....

My question: As long as the size matches, can't you basically put any type of tire on ? I'm looking for one that is quiet/smooth on the highway with good rain traction and durability. Previously I have used the Regatta 2 from Good Year with great results on the minivan and a 98 T-Bird. Since the Highlander is merely a station wagon to us, any real issue with this ? Is the 2wd Highlander that much different than the old Camry station wagon (except the center of gravity is higher) ?

Also - Good Year is having an 8-dollar-over-cost sale next week (Aug 24-26). The sales guy told me not to tell anyone, so please don't spread it around ;)

Thanks

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For me www.tirerack.com was a godsend. I wasn't limited to what my local dealer had, there are tons of user reviews on ride quality, how loud they are on the highway, how long they last, etc... My local shop didn't sell the nice Yokohamas I'm using now.

Shipping is free but you have to pay your local mechanic or tire shop to slap em on your wheels and fill em up. Cost ends up about being the same as if you bought them from the dealer, but at least you get a better variety.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
On tirerack, you can also get good user reviews that you may find hints and stuff about longevity. I'm sure you're aware of the treadwear labels on the tire, you can find that data on tirerack also.

Jay

E

Eric Kahn

on your highlander, you can put standard car tires on it with no problem, I would stay away from goodyear, I have never had any luck with goodyear tires and generally only buy michlins now, if you have a sams card, get some michlin X tires from them for your highlander and your sienna
the michlin X has very good wet and cold traction

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I drive a Pathfinder and had the same experience. The original tires (Bridgestone) lasted about 30k miles. Switched to BF Goodrich Long Trails and got about 75k miles.

FYI, Costco is having a $60 off set of 4 sale on Michelins thru Sep 3. If they have the tires you're looking for, it could be significantly cheaper than ordering from Tirerack after you factor in shipping, installation, and road hazard warranty.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks folks. I like our local Good Year dealer for low-level service (oil changes, rotation, brakes, etc), so I always prefer to give them the first benefit. They always appear honest and have never suggested "made up" work. But... maybe it's time to move "up" to Sam's Club ? LOL....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks