tips for first-time buyer - rear projections

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted Lee, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i'm in the market for a rear projector. i'm definitely going to buy it from best-buy (emp discount).

so i was just wondering what features or technologies i should keep an eye out for?

the only ones i can think of include:

1. defeatable svm
    2. 64-pt convergence
    3. decent stretch modes
    4. varietiy of inputs (jack pack)

i plan on running everything through a new receiver, unless it can't handle the component connection - then the video will go directly to the tv.

or...if you know of a specific model they carry that you like, please recommend.

thx!

ted

2. John S

John S Producer

I was at best buy last night, and noticed they are swinging a pretty good deal on the 60" Philips at $1799.00....

I actually demo'd it against many of the TV's, and my significant other and myself both agree'd it was better than about 60% of them in the horrid lighting at Best Buy anyways.

Good luck on the new TV. Rear Projection HDTV just knocks my socks off. Of course, I have only had SVIDEO non HDTV for the last 6-7 years, so that is most likely why. lol

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx guys.

on the dvi thing, is that the standard connection available on vide-cards for your pc? if so, does that mean i could hook up my pc (not that i'd want to) to my tv?

yeah, i'm really looking forward to it. i don't even care that much about hi-def broadcast, but i can't wait to watch my dvd's. [​IMG]