What's new

THX Ultra 2 AVR vs. Processor&Amp (1 Viewer)

Gavin_mi

Stunt Coordinator
I am interested in getting something that is THX Ultra 2 certified because my HT room is 3000 ft^3 and because I can not listen to every AVR out there to find what I like, so I wanted some assurance that it was a quality product. anyways that is another topic for some other time. In doing some looking I got interest in the Outlaw 990/770 combo. after looking through all the great features I noticed that this combo was not THX certified at all! Now I know that very few if any of the ultra 2 receiver are putting out this kind of power. does this mean that the 990/770 combo is not as clear or has bad processing capabilites? I have been looking at different THX Ultra 2 receivers and I have found many in the $2500 dollar range the Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi to name one. After some ALOT of searching I managed to find a seperates combo that is a little over $6k. can anyone explain this to me? why is there such a HUGE jump in the price to power a system in 2 different ways but have the same goal in mind? powerful detailed clarity? if someone could shed some light on this subject for a relative n00b to the hobby it would be much appriciated.

Gavin

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Gavin

There are 2 separate issues you are dealing with.

First is about THX certification.
Second is about the receivers vs. separates.

You seem to have concluded that it takes a THX Ultra 2 receiver to provide powerful sound in a 3000 square foot room. You also seem to believe that only a THX product will give you "powerful detailed clarity".

While THX Ultra 2 cert will result in a pretty powerful receiver, there are many other powerful receivers that are not THX.

The main thing about THX is the post processing mode. You can read all about that on-line.

THX processing does not get much discussion at all. It was worthwhile before Dolby Digital and DTS, but few people consider it much of an advantage now.

Much more important is Pro Logic IIx and/or Logic 7.

The Outlaw combo absolutely will sound clear and has excellent processing. It simply will not have THX post processing.

The 990 has received excellent reviews and the 770 is a fine amp with more power than any receiver.

Many people believe that separates sound at least a little better than receivers, but the price difference can be dramatic.

You will be in the top 5% with the Outlaw combo. Steve Simon, HTF Moderator seems very happy with his 990. I don't think you will miss THX post processing.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
THX 2 Movie/music post processing is THX's "answer" to PL IIx and Logic 7.In other words it was created for a 6/7.1 speaker set up enviroment.Everybody has their own opinion as which sounds better to them though.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Lewis

Thanks for the info on THX 2 Movie. I haven't been following THX for a while and did not know they had a 7 channel "expansion" mode. Since anything that has THX 2 Movie is also likely to have DPLIIx it is sort of a wash unless, as you said, someone prefers THX 2 Movie.

Very interesting.

Thanks

Gavin_mi

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys, and if I am understanding you all correctly the 990/770 combo will blow away most THX Ultra 2 receiver in power and quality, so its a no brainer...why doesnt everyone go with this? $2900 and you are out gunning alot of $3500+ receivers.

much to learn have I....hummmm

Gavin

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator
Because you can't buy Outlaw stuff in your local botique stores, and they don't take out huge ads, I would think.

My THX Ultra rated (although I think it was ready to go THXU2) receiver was shot down in terms of quality (although barely) by a humble used Adcom amp. It also leaves me lacking Dolby PLIIx processing, and a huge 80lb case to lug around with tons of unused amplifier weight. Hence, I'm definitely only going separates from here on out. I only want to buy what I need, to save both my wallet and my back.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Outlaw simply didn't want to spring for the hoops and expense of getting the THX blessing. It isn't free. Plus, they would require you to add, as noted on their site, "patented post-processing features such as ReEQ, Timbre Matching, Adaptive Decorrelation, Adaptive Speaker Array and Boundary Gain Compensation." Ouch.

All I did on my unit was set the speaker levels, kicked in Logic 7, and away I go. Sounded great to me. On the Outlaw, I suppose I'd kick in Dobly PLIIx instead. Without 7 speakers to feed, I haven't tried that yet on the other receiver I have that sports the PLIIx stuff.

After having the THX Ultra gear, my next unit is going to be the Outlaw 990 (because I can't afford a Lexicon... :)).

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Gavin

The 770 is more powerful than any receiver, as it should be since it weighs 90 pounds all by itself. The 990 is an excellent processor.

Also, there is a combo price on the 770/990 of $2700.

That said, there are features that some people may want that the 990 doesn't have. Denon has Audyssey, an excellent EQ system.

So it is not so black and white as "blow away". The majority of people are still using receivers. Something like the Denon 4806 would satisfy a lot of people for close to the same price.

The biggest difference is in the power. The 90 pound 770 will outdo any receiver. For $2,700 you really can't go wrong with the Outlaw 990/770.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks