What's new

"THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut" to Street 09/14/04 (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut" Two-Disc Special Edition"

The George Lucas Director's Cut? As opposed to who...the Arthur Hiller Director's Cut of THX 1138? The Gary Ross Director's Cut of THX 1138? The George Kaplan Director's Cut of THX 1138?

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
yeah, as a marketing tool, that title's a little out there. But they're probably thinking "what is the BEST way to make this look special, and get George Lucas name on the cover somehow? I KNOW!"

The Arthur Hiller cut would be interesting, to say the least.

Brandon does have a point tho--I don't think the MPAA has to re-rate a movie that hasn't been changed since it's original rating, does it? I'm not sure how that works. If they want to put a movie out on DVD, and it's unchanged from the last time the MPAA rated it, they don't have to run it past them again, right?

So either WB just snuck out the original cut on VHS back in the day without bothering to check with the MPAA

or Lucas added in a couple scenes, thus prompting the need to run it past the MPAA, thus prompting the MPAA to re-rate the movie as R.

Should be interesting.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It may also be a case of trying to make sure parents don't see George Lucas' name and a PG rating and say "hey, let's buy this for little six year-old Tommy!" It could be that George understands that the rating system is a lot different than 1971 when nudity was common in PG films (and even G by Planet of the Apes standard). Imagine the hell he would catch from upset parents who bought this "nice PG sci-fi film from the Star Wars guy" when their kid is seeing nipples. ;)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
yeah, but could he just ASK the MPAA to give him an R rating?

...wait, he's George Lucas. He's been getting whatever rating he's wanted SINCE THX..;)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
If you alter a film, it must be presented to the MPAA, or you must release it as "unrated". Since many retailers like WalMart and Blockbuster won't carry "unrated" titles, there is a strong economic incentive to have your title screened for the MPAA to receive a rating. You may not always receive the rating you expected or intended. Disney's Treasure Island - filmed before the existence of the MPAA - received a PG rating when it was routinely submitted to the organization in the early 70's. Disney cut out scenes of violence in response to get the rating down to a G (a PG rated Disney film would have been considered scandalous in the early 70's). Sometimes, films from the early years of the ratings board are given lighter ratings when re-released decades later. Midnight Cowboy received an X rating, the re-release was given an R rating. Changing times, chaging ratings.

So why has the new cut of 1138 been given an R? Who knows:

"THX:1138 has been rated R for the severe depiction of the color white."

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Straight from mpaa.org:

Rated R for some sexuality/nudity.
Previously rated (GP) in (71).

By today's standards, even the original theatrical version would be R because of the nudity, so the rating change is not a surprise. I would bet that none of the new scenes even have anything to chage the rating.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that the MPAA rerated THX1138 because of the nudity (the only really "objectionable" content in the film).

:laugh:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
"Rated R for sex/nudity"

The televised and live Police beatings/'interogations' are not for the kiddies.

but the "sex" shown was pretty tame-tender, loving, subtle- tame enough for "Little House" practically...

which comes back to:

Sex is bad...
Violence- no big deal

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I knew this title was coming based on an article somebody linked to earlier on the forum about Lowry. In that article, John Lowry indicated that they completed work on this title.

Crawdaddy

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ernest - Psycho didn't get a rating until it's 1984 re-release according to mpaa.org.

As far as I can tell, the big change in how the rating system was viewed happened between 1980-1984. You have such instances as Chariots of Fire being PG (instead of G) just because they didn't want the film to be perceived as "kiddie." This all of course culminated in Temple of Doom creating the PG-13 rating.

Now, in 2004, instead of PG meaning "parental guidance", it means "slightly less kiddie than G." Can anyone explain to me why Lilo & Stitch or Treasure Planet are PG? It's all politics. To think these films have the same rating as Spaceballs while Whale Rider is PG-13 for a ridiculous standard on drug references....

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have no clue why the MPAA do what they do. I could get itno what the MPAA do to movie posters, but I'm not going there.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Never seen this before. Will the film on dvd live up to all the hype & critical praise? Watching the GL doc from A&E, THX 1138 was a huge critical hit. Not sure about box office.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to this, too!
Haven't seen it in years. I have the Short disk with it on it too, I would like to see it on this set though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks