What's new

Those with 4:3 HDTVs, would you switch to 16:9 HDTV if you could (and vice versa)? (1 Viewer)

Martin G

Second Unit
I would keep the 4:3 tv. After all almost 90% of my watching is anime. The extra space on the sides would only be used less then 10% of the time. I just don't watch that many widesceen movies.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Jantzen - thanks for the heads up on the Radio Shack switcher!

I'll check it out today! Gotta love these boards for this kind of stuff.

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Lou,

Hope the switcher works out for you..

The only thing is that most people recommend running the green component cable through the yellow video in/output on the radio shack switch box. I guess the green carries the sync signal so it has more bandwidth than the red or blue...

I think all 3 connectors are the same but I think most people thought - "Why not put the most important component cable there since it was actually intended for video?"

So I just run:

Cable Switcher

----- --------

Green -> Yellow

Red----> Red

Blue---> White

Works for me.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
OK -How are these composite switches carrying enough bandwidth. Someone in another forum told me composite holds 10 mhz. There are component switches that carry 30 mhz, and those aren't enough for 1080i only 480p.

How is 10 mhz holding up for component?

-ELmO

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
ELmO...
The JVC has a limit of 30Mhz on it's component jacks and 10Mhz on the composite...
I'm a little confused by this too. As I thought the JVC was a passive switch box like the RadioShack box but maybe not - I don't know. So if they are both passive I would think they would work the same, i.e., the switching is mechanical so there should be enough bandwidth...
There is tons of talk about this over at AVSForum. Just do a search for component switch in the HDTV hardware section and read away.
Lots of folks have used the Radio Shack solution with success. Plus there are issues - like most HDTV's can't fully resolve full 1080i because you need 9" guns vs. 7". So if full bandwidth HDTV needs 37Mhz and the switcher can only handle 30Mhz then it doesn't matter since the TV will not be able to handle more than say 30Mhz of the data anyways...
I just use my eyes - I've A-B'ed my HDTV, DVD, XBOX and Gamecube with and without the RadioShack switch box... Maybe there is some degradation because of my TV or my eyesight but I can't see the difference. Many other's have A-B'ed with the same conclusion - probably people with a lot more knowledge about this and better eyesight than me!
I wouldn't doubt that the JVC (if passive) is also a fine solution. It's just that it has 3 instead of 4 outputs and costs 5 times as much... so why bother? I guess you can pass analog audio with it if that's important and it looks a little nicer but for me it's not worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks