What's new

HBO Max Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021) (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Finished it and thought it was fine. I'm sure there are "B" movies with the same basic story but without the star power and acting prowess to really sell it.

The main thing I thought got shortchanged was
seeing some kind of reaction from Hannah to the death of Ethan, but given the way the ending seemed constructed, I'm assuming that's on the cutting floor.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
There simply was not enough use of the F word. I mean certainly they could have had more creative writing in order to shoe-horn more than just 4 or 5 uses of the F word per minute. There were certain stretches where there was only 1 F word per minute. However the "humorous" F word face-off between the F word lead character and the F word little boy in a single F word minute was an F word delight. If you don't know how to use adjectives, just rely on an F word to get you through your lack of writing skills.

This movie was not good.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There simply was not enough use of the F word.

I assume you are being facetious here.

Were you expecting something different? Taylor Sheridan writes films for adults and his characters regularly use strong language. The film is rated R for "strong violence and language throughout." You're not required to like it -- obviously, opinions vary and that's fine -- but this is entirely consistent with how Sheridan works. I think the film is as advertised in regards to its content.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I am being facetious. I don't care that he writes films for adults or that he is consistent in it. I didn't study up on his use of this word and his writing before HBO Max promoted the film to me. The trailer intrigued me and I watched it. It was lazy and not good in my opinion. He used one adjective over and over.

And over and over. And over and over.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't study up on his use of this word and his writing before HBO Max promoted the film to me. The trailer intrigued me and I watched it.

That's fine. I didn't say you should have. Your opinion and your experience with the film is totally valid.

just think that the trailer is a fair representation of what the film is and it wasn't misadvertised.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In some respects, I thought the assassins were more interesting than the protagonists. The first thing that made me take notice was their nervousness as they were searching the home of the boy's father. Typically, these guys would be "smooth operators" but there was a little more depth to their characters compared to other portrayals of their ilk. I think the other kind of depiction would be to make them "quirky" or over-the-top psychos, but there was a subtlety to them that made me wonder about them more than either Hannah or Ethan, though Allie was a badass and I had a lot of questions about what made her into a survivalist.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just a reminder for anyone who might still be interested in streaming Those Who Wish Me Dead that its one month window on HBO Max will expire at the end of the day on May 13. I do recommend it.

This is per the deal with theaters to give them the second month exclusively before the film cycles through normal home entertainment windows.

Of course, ironically enough, the film did so poorly theatrically that the vast majority of theaters around here have dropped it already. So it won't be playing exclusively in very many locations once it enters the second month. But WB still has to honor the terms of their deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks