What's new

This is why I don't drink... (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Henry - cut back the mix to 1 shot and add the juice of 2 fresh limes. Maybe even the juice of 1 lemon if you're bold... You'll thank me for it in the morning ;)

Seriously - a lot less sugar by using fresh juice means you actually will feel better in the morning !

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Jay, had you been hiking too? Exercise followed by sitting and a few drinks can cause the blood to flow to your legs when you stand up causing fainting or dizziness. That's why you wait until you get to Portsmouth (TOSRV) to start drinking. You wouldn't believe how heavy your legs get if you have a few beers at the halfway point of a Century.

The same sort of thing can happen after a day of skiing; and jumping into a swimming pool after a long ride can lead to cramping (possibly related to blood flow issues).

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Interesting, I would think being suspended in water would lead to a more even blood flow throughout the body ? Or are you talking about jumping into a "cold" pool and getting that initial rush ?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Steve, Nah, I had to work that friday but some friends and I did hike up Phelps from the ADK loj that day to finish. I told them I would meet them after I get off of Work in Lake Placid so I got to work early and hightailed it out around 2:30 so I could get to Lake Placid by 6pm. I did hike Marcy the next day though! Of course, didn't have much of any residual problems after the initial woozy/passing out thing!

I now know that if I'm ever on the Champs Elysee winning my 7th TdF, to control the bubbly intake!!! :)

Jay

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Or even during a day of skiing. The altitude can get you. What's the elevation of Lake Placid?

It's always funny to see East Coast skiers come out west. They are used to skiing at 3-4K elevation and generally a beer at lunch doesn't phase them. Then the come out and ski Heavenly (top of lift at 10,000 feet). One beer at lunch and they caroom downhill like a pinball until they hit a tree. The ski patrol is generally most busy around 1:30 PM. :rolleyes

This effect is also why people get so plastered on airplanes, which are generally pressurized to 10K ft.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Lake Placid's Airport elevation is at 1747ft, which can't be too far off from Lake Placid itself.

I've never been able to drink much without getting sick though, so typically I stay away from the stuff.

Jay

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I used to have a good head for alcohol and then I got glandular fever and hepatitus simultaneously. This screwed my liver up for a couple of years and alcohol was absolutely forbidden. Happily, I (and my liver) made a good recovery, but since then I can get wasted on a minimum amount of alcohol. A couple of biochemist colleagues say that it's because I've not 'acclimatised' again to alcohol, but frankly, I don't really want to. A pleasant tot of single malt after a 'special' dinner and maybe half a glass of decent wine with it is my usual limit these days.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Now I stick to whiskey and mixed drinks, even though they charge you out the ass for them at bars. Goes down smooth and stays down.
I had a half-Asian roommate in college, and she had the same condition as Thi Them. She had pills that allowed her to drink.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Interesting choice of words, especially considering your, ahem, condition.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, no. You did it to me again! I was reading the thread, thinking it was all current. :frowning:

I just want to say hello to John. 2008 is calling you! Again, we are quite a bit alike. I never cared for the taste of alcohol, so I have always just left it alone.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Joe beat me to it.

I... on the other hand... seem to be part Centauri. Not only can I hold my booze, but I look STUNNING in purple!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks