This is why I don't drink...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Went up to Lake Placid on friday to celebrate a friend's finish of his winter 46'r list (a hiking related thing) and after a dinner at a place in Lake Placid, most of us had a shot of brandy which obviously is a strong liquor, not your champagne/wine thing. Now I already know that I do not take liquor well at all, I can get sick on wine coolers (been there, done that!) and I'm not much a big beer drinker anyway, but after the 1 shot of brandy (good kind, not the cheap kind) I pretty much was out of it. I literally passed out and fell to the floor after we got up. I could already feel my heartrate up before the incident, but wasn't out long but still freaky. Anybody else, I've been wondering if one can be "allergic" to alcohol and read on the net that it can enhance other allergies. However, my only food allergy is shellfish and it's mild and I had prime rib that night.

I'm already a small athletic guy, 130lbs 5'5". I think it kind of runs in my family, none of us can drink too much!

Jay

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Yes it is possible to be allergic to alcohol. This seems to be most common in Asians—especially those of Chinese extraction.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Aha! I've had the occasional glass of wine and other than slightly feeling hot (like a fever), not a biggie. Ever look at the label on a beer can, that's a helluva lot of calories I do not need anyway.

High on life! Of course, couldn't hear the end of it the entire weekend. Missed all the summit celebrations on Marcy and Street/Nye, don't want to be falling off some cliff now.

Jay

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    You're obviously part Minbari. [​IMG]

At least you're not alone:

"I'm really a bad drunk. Two drinks and I'm under the table. Three and I'm under the host." -- Dorothy Parker

"My body cannot tolerate alcohol or drugs of any kind. Two sips of wine and I'm gnawing on the hostess. I took a puff of the wrong cigarette at a party once; I broke two teeth trying to give the Statue of Liberty a hickey." -- Woody Allen

"One reason that I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time." -- Nancy Astor

"I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything on." -- Oscar Levant

Regards,

Joe

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I've got the same reaction. It's known as ADH deficiency/Asian Flush. I started trying alcohol when I turned 21 but didn't see what the big deal was about it; all it did was make me feel really awful. Then my friend told me about the condition and I just gave up on drinking.

~T

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Interesting, I just Wiki'd ADH deficiency, mentions Tums/Pepcid, etc. are possible sympton relievers.. Wow, good to know.

I guess I must be on the extreme end of this deficiency, because I didn't feel nauseaus at all, just kind of passed out for a second there...

Well, just another excuse not to drink, no loss for me really. None of my family have been drinkers at all, although my middle sister must not have this problem, she probably drinks more than the rest of us combined, which isn't even much!

Jay

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aside from the passing out, how was the meal? Where in Placid did you go? There are some excellent fine dining establishments there and I've been to most, so I am curious as to where you went and what you had to eat.

C'mon, help a foodie out here.[​IMG]

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You're talking to a person who eats freeze dried meals and ramen noodles a lot...

It was a place called Nicolas which used to be further up on Main street but moved to right across the Olympic Center. (There was a Moe concert that night but that didn't start til 9:30 so I ran into some other hiking friends there).

I was told to meet at Nicolas but I think actually ate at 211 Bar or something like that cause our menu said 211 on it and it was a steak place, Nicolas is an italian eatery so I guess we actually ate at 211. I've been to a bunch of places there but I'm no food critic. My Prime Rib was good though. I'm too poor to afford any of this stuff on a normal basis anyway but occasionally do that.

If you're interested in a pretty good place in Lake Placid, the Lake Placid Pub and Ale is a microbrewery for you beer drinkers out there, I've been to the Carribean Cowboy which is right by the HoJos and that is a really neat place with a mixture of carribean menu and kind of a fusion of different tastes.

Jay

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I've eaten at both, the steak place is much better so you lucked out. For the best food I've had in the past 2-3 years, myself and some friends dined at the Interlaken Inn, down past Mirror Lake. We had originally visted this place a few years before and it had been awful. The waiter claimed the chef had to leave because his wife was giving birth, so it was forgiven. We decided to give it another chance and were very glad we did. Outstanding food, with great creativity (i.e. for dessert I had a Creme Brulee infused with rosemary, mmmm good). There are a couple other great places, at all price levels, more than expected for such a small town. Lake Placid is one of my favorite places on earth, partially because of the great food, but mostly because of my occasional need for a "pilgrimage" to a true "holy shrine" of hockey.

Got a great Lake Placid T-shirt last time I was there. On the back is says:

"A Small Drinking Town With A Large Hockey Problem"

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

That's cause it's fairly close to Montreal! I always run into a lot of french canadians on the trails there. LP is way to glitz for my place, I'm much more liking to the smaller outskirts of places like Keene/Keene Valley, the Cliffhanger, the Ausable Inn, even the Noonmark Diner is place to get a fast bite to eat.

The last time I was there, about a month ago, a friend and I grabbed a pizza at Mr Mikes and there was fireworks going on and the waitress mentioned some kind of Nascar bobsled thing at Mt Van Hoevenberg. Apparently, they push these bobsleds with nascar racers inthem on the bobsled run there...

Jay

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

That could've saved me a lot of trouble. [​IMG]

12. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Well, I guess that explains my general distaste for alcohol.

13. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I don't drink alchohol of any kind, ever, unless you count cough syrup.

I don't for three reasons...

1. Alchoholism tends to be a problem among the males in my family and i've seen how it makes some family members behave, that plus one of my uncle's died from Cirosis(sp) of the liver.

2. I've been told that it tastes badly.

3. Don't need it, I can have just as much fun and enjoy myself without it.

I'm not a big believer in using outside stimuli to enhance my natural behaviour. [​IMG]

14. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Apparently, developing expensive tastes works for me. I have a bottle of wine or six pack every month or so. (the beer is required for a chile recipe; the wine, well, why not have wine and cheese every so often?)

15. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I obviously "suffer" from Asian flush, seeing as I go red after a single beer, but on the other hand I don't go sick or anything, and in my youth was a fair drinker -- age has obviously forced me to dial it back, but FWIW on a usual Friday evening at the pub I'll knock back 3 pints in a little over an hour, and many Saturday evenings the wife and I will finish an entire bottle of wine between us.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I figure I can save money this way.. a glass of water is a lot cheaper than most beer/liquor in restaurants! Plus, I don't mind being the designated driver...

Jay

17. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Two Long-Island Iced Teas and I'm buzzed. I drink on occasion, but that's rare. I'm very picky about what I drink. Hate beers! YUUUUCK!

- Colton

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

More bars in more places.....

19. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I'm really drunk right now

20. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I think I screwed up the ratios in my margarita this evening.
    Used:
    1 shot Grand Marnier
    2 shots Jose Cuervo Especial
    3 shots " " Margarite Mix

But it was good! [​IMG]