What's new

The World, the Flesh and the Devil TCM Broadcast (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I couldn't find any threads for this title. I recorded from TCMHD and it looks and sounds fantastic. The only problem is dialog and effects that should be coming out of the left channel are in the right channel and vice versa . I doubt the Blu-ray has this problem.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never noticed that problem with the Blu-ray disc so you're probably correct.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Behind its rather emphatic title is a suitably sober entry in the 'Last Man On Earth' sub-genre. Harry Belafonte plays Ralph, a miner who was underground when an apocalypse occurs. As in many of these tales, for a while he truly believes he is the only human survivor and sets up his own little world in NYC; And, of course, he's usually wrong. Sarah (Inger Stevens) arrives on the scene, and makes herself clear: “I'm free, white and 21”. Less understanding and tactful is Mel Ferrer as Benson: “I have nothing against negroes.”

It's a racially charged triangle, but, it's handled fairly maturely by writer-director Ranald MacDougall (based on stories by M.P. Shiel and Ferdinand Reyher), even if too demurely. The actors apparently pushed MacDougall to be more open with the relationships, but the Director balked. Even with that cautious approach, the film didn't do well at the box office and it is said that some Southern theaters didn't even book it. The acting by all three helps with Belafonte showing off his considerable screen charm. Stevens would later marry a black musician, Ike Jones, adding, perhaps, to the dynamics of her character. And, why is it, that when there is a “last trio” on earth it always seems to be two men and a woman?

The stark empty streets of New York are shot in Cinemascope by Harold Marzorati and the great Miklos Rosza provides the rousing score. THE WORLD, THE FLESH, AND THE DEVIL isn't the definitive word on the last person trope, but, it's a solid late 50s example.

Attachments

• world1.jpg
    world1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 28

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I wrote to TCM about the audio and they said they would fix it with the next broadcast. We will see.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Hmm. Didn't notice any audio issues last time I saw it on TCM. I also saw it in a theater from the DVD version and no issues.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am glad this thread had a re-emergence; I keep forgetting to buy it. Usually these types of science fiction (I guess) films are not my style, but this I really want to see.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
it will be on TCM 11/19 10 pm EST probably with the same audio problems

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why is the Blu-ray mentioned in the title of this thread when this issue occurred during a TCM broadcast?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks