What's new

The Umbrellas of Cherbour - anyone seen this disc? (1 Viewer)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I remember hearing good things about the movie, and have it on my wiush list, which I am currently prunning. I would still likle to get it, but it was released in 97 by Fox Lorber, who is traditionally known for butchering films by releasing unrestored, poor prints that may, or may not have the original language, burnt-in subtitles, and MAR'ed.

So, do I keep this on my wish list, or is it one of those beyound hope discs?

Christopher Bosley

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely wouldn't call it a beyond-hope disc. Looks just ok, not outstanding. My "problem" is that it's a 1.66:1 aspect ratio, with subtitles, so it doesn't fare well on my WS television. But it's a fun little movie and worth picking up, IMHO.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It's typical Fox Lorber. Crappy transfer that doesn't look nearly as good as this (recently restored) film could and should.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
It's a perfectly acceptable transfer, in my opinion.

Back in 1965, I saw the film theatrically in 35mm several times, and the DVD is a fair approximation of what I viewed then.

BTW, the restoration of UMBRELLAS had to be made from the black-and-white separations of the film, because the original color negative was "shot".

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
I looked at this title as well, but I will opt for the anamorphic French DVD, R2 with English subs.
I will let you know how it looks,
Sebastian. :)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I reviewed this one a while ago. I remember thinking that the print certainly looked more than acceptable but could have been better. There also appears to be some cropping on the sides, if memory serves. My review can be found here.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone! I had looked on DVDFile's site but nothing turned up on my search. Now I will have to check the link(s) provided.

As an aside, I noticed all of Eric Rohmer's release are by Fox Lorber. I also noticed that a number of them were "full frame". I am assuming Pan & Scan.

Does anyone know if they will be getting redone under the new Wellspring/criterion offerings? Or will I have to suffer though bad prints and transers?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As an aside, I noticed all of Eric Rohmer's release are by Fox Lorber. I also noticed that a number of them were "full frame". I am assuming Pan & Scan.
Lance,
Not all are from Fox-Lorber -- Tale of Springtime was relased by MGM.
Some (many??) of Eric Rohmers films were shot in 1.37:1 so full frame is not necessarily P&S. The quality of the DVDs varied wildly from the out of the question to excellent.
Two I can definitely recommend, transfer quality wise, are The Marquise of O... & Perceval. They are academy OAR, an thus NOT P&S.
Quite a few of them are reviewed by Gary Tooze at http://www.dvdbeaver.com/
Ted

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
The French edition of "Umbrellas" is 1.75:1 and anamorphic - I guess that's the correct AR.

Seb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks