What's new

Pre-Order The Trouble With Angels (1966) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That would make her 28 or 29 playing 15 or 16 at the time the film was made.

It wasn't unusual for "older" actors to be cast in young roles back in the day. Sissy Spacek was 25 and Stockard Channing was 32 when they played high school students (Carrie, Grease). Going back further, a 35 year old Ginger Rogers played an 18 year old girl running away from reform school in Heartbeat (1946).

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It wasn't unusual for "older" actors to be cast in young roles back in the day. Sissy Spacek was 25 and Stockard Channing was 32 when they played high school students (Carrie, Grease). Going back further, a 35 year old Ginger Rogers played an 18 year old girl running away from reform school in Heartbeat (1946).

The interesting thing about June Harding is that people are always SO surprised when they find out her actual age in this movie. She's incredibly successful at playing Hayley Mills' contemporary.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Everyone in Grease looks like they're around 30, though.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
For family comedy aimed at all ages, (boy, they don't make those anymore!) it's surprisingly touching and succeeds much better than you would think. The broadly comic script, which was out of date by 1966, was sensitively handled by Ida Lupino, with delicate subtleties to indicate the passage of time and the growth of the characters. Rosalind Russell was ideally cast, as were Hayley Mills and June Harding. And special mention must be made to Jerry Goldsmith's score, which perfectly captured the spirit of the piece. Still, it's set in an innocent world that's sadly passed on, so how it plays to modern audiences can vary.

Day one purchase for me, however.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
For family comedy aimed at all ages, (boy, they don't make those anymore!) it's surprisingly touching and succeeds much better than you would think. The broadly comic script, which was out of date by 1966, was sensitively handled by Ida Lupino, with delicate subtleties to indicate the passage of time and the growth of the characters. Rosalind Russell was ideally cast, as were Hayley Mills and June Harding. And special mention must be made to Jerry Goldsmith's score, which perfectly captured the spirit of the piece. Still, it's set in an innocent world that's sadly passed on, so how it plays to modern audiences can vary.

Day one purchase for me, however.
I have the soundtrack on CD and I love it!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My review is now up!

This title is currently sold out at Amazon and Best Buy, but Wal-Mart appears to still be taking orders for it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Can't find it at Wal-Mart's site. There better be a restocking or I'll really be kicking myself for waiting for a few days before trying to order.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Can't find it at Wal-Mart's site. There better be a restocking or I'll really be kicking myself for waiting for a few days before trying to order.

Par for the course for Alled Vaughn titles -- some stores just list it OOS or Backordered, others hide the listing until stock returns. One of the nice thing about the A-V MOD items is that so far none of the BD have ever gone out of print as far as I'm aware -- they just order up the next batch to be completed

Once the 1st Stock for preorders are exhausted, then a few days later the 2nd re-stock shows up at most places though Amazon often takes a couple weeks as does Bullmoose -- the latter makes a little more sense.

Actually Walmart lists it as in-stock -- not sure if it re-listed this morning or the search just missed it. I often find Walmart general search doesn't always pull up the item I'm looking for so search by UPC seems to work better
https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Trouble-with-Angels-Blu-ray/769156638

My B&N order from the 40% off sale arrived Monday with Birdy and Gaslight plus Castaways and 20000 Leagues from DMC a couple days later. I just sampled a few minutes, but it looks pretty good.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A beautiful new print of THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS is now on the Criterion Channel....yes the Criterion Channel. A beautiful film directed by Ida Lupino and one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores. Loved seeing it again!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A beautiful new print of THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS is now on the Criterion Channel....yes the Criterion Channel. A beautiful film directed by Ida Lupino and one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores. Loved seeing it again!
Yup! Also they have a tribute to Ida Lupino on the channel too.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Some great titles available this month on the Criterion Channel including the Criterion collections's "Swing Time" with all or most of the blu ray extras as well as some the other Astaire/Rogers film like "Shall We Dance", "The African Queen", "Fiddler On The Roof" , other films directed by Ida Lupino etc.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Damn! I ordered this as soon as I stumbled on this thread, and the Amazon man just dropped it off. Unfortunately, the package, and disc was bludgeoned to death by something very heavy. There's a bulge through the Blu-ray case that includes the disc.

I knew it was going to be a problem, but I put it in a player just to see if it would even load. It plays the Sony logo just fine and then goes to a static drawing of Hayley Mills and Rosalind Russell, but no menu loads. If I press the Menu button on the remote, I get a message saying "No Menu".

Drat! I was hoping this would work out all right, but I guess I should expect some "trouble" with ANGELS.

We've owned the crappy 4:3 DVD of this title since that was released and we've been hoping for a true widescreen version ever since.

I got Amazon on the phone and they're sending out a replacement. If they'd learn to pack things more solidly, they wouldn't have these problems. But then again, Mr. Bezos is a bazillionaire, and I'm just a lowly customer. I guess he's doing something right.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I got Amazon on the phone and they're sending out a replacement. If they'd learn to pack things more solidly, they wouldn't have these problems. But then again, Mr. Bezos is a bazillionaire, and I'm just a lowly customer. I guess he's doing something right.

NOT that you want to hear this, but I'm sure they've figured out that it costs less to replace damaged items than it does to upgrade all of their packaging.

I hope it comes soon and you can enjoy it by the weekend! It's a great little disc!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks