What's new

The Strawberry Statement (1970) (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Will we ever see this cultural gem on DVD? It isn't even available on VHS - although Amazon will supply you with a rental copy for $70! :eek:

Warner owns the rights to it.

Is it the rights to the songs on the soundtrack that have kept out of view? Does it ever show up on TV?

It is so frustrating when important films such as this get caught up in red tape and get forgotten.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I own a copy of Strawberry Statement on laser disc. Unfortunately, it's a Japanese import so there are burned in Japanese subtitles through out the film. There is also some "laser rot" on side 2. I'd buy the DVD in a heartbeat. Are you listening, Warners?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This film, essentially a time capsule kind of story about the days of the Vietnam War protests, would make a great double bill with Columbia's GETTING STRAIGHT (Elliot Gould and Candice Bergen) if Warner/Columbia ever decide to put these out.

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Agreed. I'd love to see this film on DVD. I have the soundtrack CD. Another movie with a somewhat similar theme that I'd love to see on DVD is "A Small Circle of Friends" from 1980. Its available on VHS from Fox.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
But is it the song rights that are holding it up? Perhaps the cost of the songs NOW is something like $200,000 or MORE and a DVD would never recoup the cost. And the soundtrack to this movie, in a way, is the movie. You counldn't substitute other songs in their place. American Graffiti has Lucas' money and clout behind it, but what/who does this film have?

Mind you, the song rights to Two-Lane Blacktop were resolved for the Universal-Anchor Bay DVD.

When is the Warner Chat?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks