What's new

The Most Expensive System I've ever heard. (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
The great myth about audio, though, is that you need to spend major kilobucks. In fact, a good system can be assembled for under $2k. It just won't be any names you would find at Best Buy.
PLEASE,
Do share this bit of info. I would love to have a good system for only $2K.

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
It all depends on your definition of good! What is good for me might be mediocre or even poor to you. I too believe you can put together some pretty "good" systems for the under $2k price point, but it's tough, and it won't be "great."

For me, good is an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, HTS-500 speakers, with a 6th channel, and an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub. With cables/wiring/mounting, I have about $1500 in this and to me it sounds "good" and at times even "great" but I know there is MUCH Better out there, and I know my listening preferrence is not audio/videophile quality.

Hey just chiming in here!

Brian

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
You can certainly put together an Audiphile TWO channel
setup for 2K, sure this may not include all of the source
components...

Here's one example..

Moth Audio Cicada Speakers $600.00

ASL Orchid Integrated Triode (SET) $1099

That leaves you with $400 give or take for one
decent source..... How about a Music Hall MMF2 TurnTable?

Would that be a bad system? Hardly...

Could you do better? Sure but probably not much better in
the 2K price range..

AjayM

Screenwriter
If I have previously flippantly criticized you, I apologize. To me this is a matter of logic, but when I don't have the money this logic comes much easier.
I don't think you were being flippiant or insulting, but as somebody else has mentioned you are just as biased as the "rich guy" who thinks his $100k system is sooooooo much better than a $5k system, just in the opposite direction.

Next time you go in for a demo of something, or walk into a demo room that is really setup well, just sit and enjoy the music or the movie, etc. Don't concern yourself with the price of it. Consider what it has that you don't, and what you have that it doesn't, etc. Then afterwards look at the price and see if your opinion changed. This is what I do when I'm in one of the fancier places and go into the "mega-buck" room and demo something, I don't ask anything about price until I'm done. It opens your eyes to what's good and what isn't.

Andrew

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
I think nearly every personal home system I've heard has sounded better than most "demo" or dealer systems regardless of the price of either system. I think it has a lot to do with system synergy and the care a person takes to tweak there system to a level they are happy with compared to a demo or dealer system in which pieces are clinically thrown together and things are calibrated by the book.

In my system I use a Lexicon MC-1 and it took me about 3 weeks of constant tweaking to get it to sound great. If i adjust the settings to where I started out as it would sound terrible to me, and that very well could be how a dealer has the same system tweaked. I put very little emphasis on dealer demos interesting as they are you have to take them with a grain of salt or they need to let you know everything your are listening to and let you tweak things a bit.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
It is all personal preference. I sell and install for a living. I was Over a customers house who dropped a pretty penny(not with me but at a store out of state) he called me to set it up. After 5 hours of running cables settting up speakers and dialing in the system I was a little let down, but my customer was as happy as a pig in you know what.

This system (just audio now) was worth about 8K-10K.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
" you are just as biased as the "rich guy" who thinks his $100k system is sooooooo much better than a $5k system, just in the opposite direction."

As I've indicated, this is not news to me. And as I also mentioned, not ever being able to afford it disallows me from "judging" anyone who can afford it. I will say that "the rich guy" doesn;t just think his system is "sooooooo" much better. His system is much better. It simply seems to me that there is a point of the absurd when it comes to investing in home entertainment. There is no limit to available costs - including a $1,000,000,000 speaker system; $30,000 speakers are fairly common. As I have mentioned, this is not a statement about anyone's character. It is simply a recognition of how wrapped up we get in this "hobby" (which is what it is) and I believe we all lose perspective. "All" would include me.

" This is what I do when I'm in one of the fancier places and go into the "mega-buck" room and demo something, I don't ask anything about price until I'm done. It opens your eyes to what's good and what isn't. "

This underscores my point. We tend to not think about what we're investing in search of the upgrade. When I put my life and money in perspective, there is no way to not think about price. My suggestion is that there is not $10,000 more "good" in a $15,000 system. That doesn't mean I don't hear any difference. It simply means that to triple the price does not triple the sonic entertainment experience. It increases it, but not that much.

I'll stop here because I almost opened another can of worms about another subject (which I have now edited out). This one seems to be generating enough play, and people are both civil and passionate in what they write. Good Stuff!!

I feel I need to restate this:
I can afford to say I can't see investing more than $5000 in home theater sound because I can't afford to invest more than that. To those who can, I harbor no resentment, no question of your character, no judgment of your priorities. My conviction has nothing to do with whether there is any pleasure in more expensive components, nor does it find any "sin" in owning them.

Doug

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Doug:
Our perspectives change over time. My first "system" cost about $100 and I thought it was pretty good. Sounded better than most of my friends, and had detachable speakers to boot. About the same time, I remember a relative arguing that no man should be allowed to make more than $4/hour. A number of years later he was an executive in a fairly large company, making many times more than his employees, I'm sure.
Our audio system today cost about $10K. This will move to the basement when we finish the theater, and will be upgraded to 7.1, some new speakers, and at least one new amp. I'm thinking about $15K. Five years ago I would have thought this was outrageous, unthinkable. Things change.
You don't say how old you are, but I'll bet your perspectives will also change over time.
That said, if you do your research, you can put together a hell of a fine system for $5K, one that will sound better in your home than most anything you will hear in dealer demos at 2-3 times the price, and certainly better than most of your friends' and neighbours' systems regardless of what they spent. Enjoy it!

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Wayne_T,

I'm...uh...52. My perspective has changed over time and that's how I decided "enough"...Well, maybe it hasn't changed that much... I always had to weigh what I wanted against my other needs and audio usually lost. Don't confuse that with a lack of appreciation for high end stuff. I used to spend much of my free time in audio shops and audio investment was my "reward" to myself (for overtime worked, gifts, etc).

"if you do your research, you can put together a hell of a fine system for $5K, one that will sound better in your home than most anything you will hear in dealer demos at 2-3 times the price"

I absolutely agree with this... As a matter of fact, it's part of the point I was trying to make.
Also I agree with your right to own and appreciate your audio system. It sounds like alot of fun. I'm certain I would have done the same at some point in my life had I the means. At this point, I will simply enjoy you enjoying yours.

pradike

Stunt Coordinator
Lee Scoggins:
I think its dangerous to say what is "too expensive" or not in stereo gear. Different people derive different utilities or levels of enjoyment out of audio. My rig cost all-in around $25,000 but I have slowly improved it over the years with careful choices. I love it. It makes the music come alive, and I listen almost every day.
I think you are right on. As a fellow Alpharetta resident, you and I seem to agree on most of your perspectives...must be the water.

How much money you can/should/will spend is dependent on your actual perceived value for your investment. One of my neighbors just spent $175,000 finishing their basement and installing a home theater - from a real estate standpoint, not the best investment, in that they actually increased their home value perhaps $75,000. On the other hand, we spent perhaps 1/3 of that for our "improvement" Home Theater. Part of the cost difference came from us willing to do much of the design & planning, whereas the other homeowner did none - relied totally on the contractor.

They saw ours & we saw theirs - and both were very impressed with each others, and felt the investment resulted in excellent results.

With over 15 years of music background as well - my ears are tone sensitive - I can hear someone singing 1/4 tone off in the church choir! That said, I've found you can get excellent audio systems for $10,000 or less if you are willing to do the homework and take the time to LISTEN to them.

As you said, the value is in the person who feels they got the reward for their investment. There is no right or wrong in how much $$$ (if you have it).

Best wishes.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
There is a myth that goes something like this: The more you spend on speakers the better. In many cases, better means flat response from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. The problem is that speakers that can manage this trick usually sound horrible. Why do so many of us have subwoofers? I would consider it a waste of money to use a sub that did not audibly add those frequencies under 50Hz. I not only want to hear them, I want to feel them. My subwoofer has made the single biggest improvement in 35 years of listening.

Some people insist that in-room flat response is the holy grail. My answer: Set up your electronics and speakers so they sound best to your ears. You will not be reported to the golden ear society. Also, speaker testers who have actually listened to flat sound report it as very thin in the bass, harsh at the top.

The best sound I have ever heard by a long shot was one that had fantastic imaging and good bass without a sub. Total cost maybe $2,500 for everything.

Artie

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Why buy a new Ferrari when you can only drive the speed limit? You might as well get a $10,000 dollar car.Right?I think people buy expensive high end gear, not because it might sound better but because it gives them piece of mind, knowing they have the best. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks