What's new

"The Haunting" (1963) Approaches .... Who Among You Will Dare To Enter Hill House? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
On Tuesday, August 5th, that great 1963 B&W horror film, "The Haunting", finally comes to DVD in all its 2.35:1 Widescreen Anamorphic glory!

Show of hands (or mouses/mice :)) ..... Who's gonna be picking up this classic haunted-house tale (besides Jack Briggs, who's more-than-likely going to buy up 6 or 7 copies, just to be sure he's got a scratchless one :D)?

And remember! .... Under NO circumstances are you allowed to hold Eleanor's hand!

"IT'S A HOUSE THAT WAS BORN BAD!"

"IT'S CALLING ME! THE HOUSE WANTS ... ME!!"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, I think this film is very overrated plus it's in black and white with a hack as a director because he didn't even show any real horror shots in the film and he makes you use your own imagination. What's up with that? Jack Briggs should have better taste in film.

Crawdaddy

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I think this film is very overrated plus it's in black and white with a hack as a director because he didn't even show any real horror shots in the film and he makes you use your own imagination. What's up with that? Jack Briggs should have better taste in film.
:laugh:

Talk about baiting Mr. Briggs' hook!

:laugh:

Good one, C'Daddy!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Amazon is showing these features for the impending 08/05 release of our favorite horror treat (well, some of us vote it #1 anyway) .........

------------------------------------------

• Commentary by Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Russ Tamblyn, director Robert Wise, and screenwriter Nelson Gidding
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• Stills gallery
• "Things That Go Bump in the Night" essay
• Widescreen anamorphic format

------------------------------------------

Anybody know about that "Bump In The Night" Essay feature? Sounds like a text-based thing, huh? Or am I wrong?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It'd be nice if the e-tailers could get together and get the ratio correct on their respective websites, however.

DVD Price Search shows a "4:3" ratio, which of course is way off base.

DeepDiscount misleads with a "Full Frame 1.33:1" remark.

But then there's always DVD Planet, which goes in the other direction by telling buyers they'll be treated to an ultra-wide 2.40:1 AR for the film! (Plus, they're NOT claiming it's an anamorphic transfer to boot!) Curious indeed.

2.35 is correct on the AR...right Jack? :)

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I'm a sucker for B&W 'Scope (The Apartment, The Fortune Cookie, and even a few that were not directed by Billy Wilder), yet I've only seen this P&S on television -- and I tuned in late to boot. This DVD will be a treat.

I'm thrilled to see that Ms. Bloom is in the commentary. I wonder if WB approached her to contribute a commentary to Limelight, or if the MK2 work (or Roy Export Co. restrictions) on those discs precluded WB control of supplements? No matter -- I'm very eager to hear her thoughts on The Haunting. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Bill: The Chaplin discs are merely MK2's DVDs released by Warner here (since they have no US division). I don't think they did ANYTHING for the discs outside of replicating and packaging the R1 editions. You can tell all the content on the disc is MK2's doing (such as the bland menu designs)

I'm getting this DVD...and thrilled it's getting such a good treatment. Warner is on a roll this year!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This classic has been one of my most wanted films on DVD for seemingly ages now. My copy has been preordered for a good while, and I can't wait to be haunted by the film again in all its digital glory!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mr. Briggs should have a screener copy in
his hands as I type this.

He'll be putting up a review soon -- but be
aware that Warner has a policy that these reviews
can't go up more than 2 weeks prior to release.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Then we eagerly await the earliest Briggs can put it up Ron, which is the 22nd I believe :emoji_thumbsup:

I caught this on late night television a year or two ago, and thought it was fabulous. It'll be a huge treat to see this in widescreen, along with a commentary to boot :) August 5th can't come soon enough.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to TCM I was lucky enough to see this movie for the first time about a month ago. I really loved it and I hope Warner will release it in R2 as soon as possible ! Here is one copy already sold :D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here is another movie from Robert Wise I have not seen, yet after seeing The Day the Earth Stood Still, it is blind purchase and look forward to Jack Briggs review in the near future

cheers

:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
For me The Haunting is a must buy. This film just oozes atmosphere, a quality lacking in most modern horror films.

Also don't forget the two other Horror classics that get released the same day - The Thing From Another World & House of Wax.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Long-awaited classic. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

And it gets the treatment it deserves at a damn good price. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm sure the transfer will be superb.

AUGUST 5

Halloween: Special Edition (Anchor Bay)
The Haunting (1963) (Warner)
The Omega Man (Warner)
Soylent Green (Warner)
The Thing From Another World (Warner)
House Of Wax (Warner)
Dead And Buried: Special Edition (Blue Underground)
Casablanca: 2-Disc Special Edition (Warner)
The Deer Hunter: 2-Disc Special Edition (Region 2 Warner)

Eghmmm! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Then...

AUGUST 26

Burnt Offerings (MGM)
The Comedy of Terrors / The Raven (MGM)
The Haunted Palace / Tower of London (MGM)
Tomb of Ligeia / An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe (MGM)
The Howling: SE (MGM)
God Told Me To (Blue Underground)
Q: The Winged Serpent (Blue Underground)
Roman Polanski Boxed Set (Anchor)
Amazon Women On The Moon: SE

Ha-hmmm! :eek:

Gordy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
My copy has been preordered for a good while
So has mine! To feed my "Haunting" desires I even went out & won the WS laserdisc a few months ago on ebay. Before that I had a FS copy of the laser. I can hardly wait for it to arrive.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I don't find Wait Until Dark particulary satisfying; the apartment is too small - a large penthouse in darkness with more room for the characters to outwit each other would have been better. It has its moments, though, but I'll pass. I love Scott Walker, though - good title song.

Gordy

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, indeedy, I received the screener copy three days ago and I have already looked at it twice, though I haven't listened to the commentary track yet. The review, of course, is forthcoming. But I can assure everyone that certain retailers are in error: The disc is definitely a 16:9-encoded transfer of the film in its original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks