What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Greatest Showman (2017) (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
From a few things I've read, this has become the film to crap on this year because of its production woes. Critics often love to pick out a film that has a troubled history and pile on to it. The general consensus from a few critics whose writing I respect is that it isn't nearly the disaster that the histrionic bad reviews would suggest. None of them have said it was a great film and definitely shows signs of studio editing and meddling, however it seems to be watchable, if rather forgettable.

I love musicals, so I may go see it if I find the time before it quickly disappears. Jackman always gives it his all, even in less-than-terrific films and he's a talented Musical Theatre actor.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Watched it last night. Better than I expected from the reviews. There are some glossy narrative problems; and this isn't "great"; but there are very good moments in it. I'd give it a 3.5/5, so like a B. There are a few moments that I thought were VERY good, and then it would pivot to clunky narrative moments.

But when it was really going, the effort was solid. This will be a good one to watch at home; the sound and choreography is fun.

That said, this is a film that NEEDED Baz Luhrmann type color and cinematography

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I saw it today and really wanted to like it, but I didn't.

I didn't hate it either, but it was just...there. I'd give it a C.

I'll be anxious to discuss it once more of you have seen it, but don't want to post something negative and sway your opinions before it has been more widely seen.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Having a few days post, I have to say this is one of the better original musical soundtracks in years. Listening to the soundtrack alone, you'd think this has got to be a fantastic film. The film doesn't quite live up to the soundtrack, but damn, the soundtrack is definitely worth the listen. Find the Youtube videos on the production - how the songs were made - because those videos are incredible.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was reading through this thread and not to be a contrarian, was going to make an opposite comment. I have had the sound track CD since it came out and have played it several times. Except for the first song, it hasn’t grabbed me at all. We decided that you must have to see the movie, and plan to next week.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Saw this this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cast was uniformly excellent, the musical numbers are infectious, and the message is delightfully uplifting. It's a great way to pull yourself out of the winter doldrums.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this tonight and thought it had the opposite problem as LaLa Land. The singing and dancing are technically good while the whole thing lacks the heart found in several modern musicals as well as a lackluster story.

A decent flick for fans of musicals but very much a mixed bag.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Ok, my wife and I saw this today and thought it was wonderful. Now knowing where all the music on the CD fits into the movie, I thought it was wonderful too. I was especially impressed with Jenny Lind.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I really enjoyed it. Terrific production values, great songs, good performances all around.

I knew Hugh would be great but Zac Effron was amazing I thought.

2 hours of non offensive good natured spectacle.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hugh Jackman's 'The Greatest Showman' Just Set A New Box Office Record

The Greatest Showman pulled off a trick worthy of a pioneering entertainer. The PT Barnum musical biopic had a soft-ish start last weekend, earning just $19 million over its six-day opening. But it’s been building since Christmas (as if folks were again waiting for after the holidays to check it out) and has earned a whopping $15.2m over its second Fri-Sun frame. That may not seem like much, but it’s a 73% jump over its $8.8m opening Fri-Sun frame.

And that, ladies and gents, is a record “hold” for a movie playing in over 3,000 theaters. Heck, it’s the best weekend hold ever for a movie on more than 2,000 screens where the opening weekend wasn’t one or two days (IE – when Christmas fell on a Saturday or Sunday). Actually, among all films that opened over 600 theaters or screens, The Greatest Showman has the sixth-biggest second-weekend jump for a film that actually had a full Fri-Sun weekend, and two of the other five are reissues of Walt Disney animated features. The family-friendly, but adult-centric razzle-dazzle entertainment is clearly clicking with families, women and folks who just like a good musical.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...showman-just-set-a-new-box-office-record/amp/

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Impressive, though most films without "Star Wars" in their titles seemed to do pretty well this weekend. Those viewers that went to SW over the past couple of weeks must be starting to see other things.

Aside from SW, the only other films that decreased from week-to-week were Pitch Perfect 3 and Downsizing. Everything else was up.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen it, probably never will.

Certain actors just rub me the wrong way, Jackman being one of them. Just always comes across as "smarmy" even as Wolverine/Logan. Although I do like Zac Efron, so may give it a try.

Mandy Patinkin, Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Stewart and many others are also on my list, (not smarmy, just don't care for them).

Others, like Chris Pratt, Alex Kingston, Jeremy Renner, Ryan Phillippe, Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, etc. I'll go out of my way simply because they're in the cast. They've all had duds, but overall pretty decent.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think he saying he dislikes them as a person, but doesn't like their acting or performance style.

I have a similar list.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hmm. I don’t think my dislike of any actor would prevent me from seeing a good film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks