What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Greatest Showman, is a terrific piece of cinema, and one of my favorite films of 2017.

It follows the birth of The Greatest Show on Earth, and it's creator, one, Phineas T. Barnum.

Filled with almost constant motion, it's a beautifully crafted production, which is shown to great advantage on 4k UHD, with HDR, as it was released in 4k -- still one of the rarities in the format.

Dolby Atmos creates a huge expanse of audio, and for me seals the deal.

Michael Gracey, directing Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Zac Efron and Zendaya.

One to grab in 4k, and enjoy!

Sheila O'Malley commented on Roger Ebert.com "The Greatest Showman," directed with verve and panache by Michael Gracey, is an unabashed piece of pure entertainment, punctuated by 11 memorable songs composed by Oscar- and Tony-winning duo Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, who composed the songs for "La La Land," as well as the current Broadway hit Dear Evan Hansen. The film is made for the whole family to enjoy, and so it leaves out many of the darker elements (explored in the 1980 Broadway musical Barnum). This is a difficult tightrope to walk, but credit is due to Gracey, a perfectly cast Hugh Jackman, and the entire cast, who play this story in the spirit in which it was written..."The Greatest Showman" positions itself as a story celebrating diversity, and the importance of embracing all kinds.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I've watched the iTunes 4K digital version 5 times already since March 20. Love, Love, LOVE this film! It's so much fun.

I will absolutely purchase the 4K Blu-ray too. But I'll wait for the price to drop below $20 before doing so.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my favorite films of 2017 too. I have the 4K/UHD release on preorder so I’m happy your review confirms that it should look and sound great on my HT setup.
This disc is reference audio-wise for me due to the music and Dolby Atmos soundtrack. The video wasn't half bad either.;) I'm in the middle of the bonus material right now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0167.jpg
(Click on photo for full image)

Just finished watching the 4k release (down-rez'd to 1080p) in Dolby Atmos. First time watching this film.

WOW!

I don't know how The Shape of Water beat this film out for Best Picture.

The Greatest Showman is an absolute electric spectacle in both sight and sound. It's rare that I am elevated to such a level of cinematic high when watching a film in my home theater. It matches the level of excitement I felt when seeing Moulin Rouge for the first time -- a film that remains one of my absolute favorites to this very day.

A brilliant piece of filmmaking from songs that kept the heart racing, to cinematography and editing that kept the mind engaged.

One of the best all-encompassing Atmos tracks I have had the pleasure to experience.

Screw La La Land! This is how you make a modern day musical!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I will be spinning this one for the wife in 4K this weekend. :thumbsup:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Easy. The Greatest Showman wasn’t nominated for Best Picture.;)

I am shocked. I thought it was. Shows how closely I actually followed this year's Oscars. Didn't even watch it.

Well, my comment is still valid. This film should have not only have been nominated but won.

And to add an additional comment...

I got pissed off when the Academy expanded their choices of nominees from just 5 films to around 50 [/sarcasm off]. But really, with the huge expanded list of titles the Academy now nominates, you mean to tell me The Greatest Showman couldn't even make that list?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 45434
(Click on photo for full image)

Screw La La Land! This is how you make a modern day musical!
I'm not going to go that far as I think "La La Land" is a quality film, but without a doubt I prefer "The Greatest Showman" as it's the best musical film I've seen in at least ten years. The music and choreography were aligned with my personal tastes. When I watch this film, it makes me feel good and it leaves a smile on my face. I'm about to have my sixth viewing of it this week.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not going to go that far as I think "La La Land" is a quality film, but without a doubt I prefer "The Greatest Showman" as it's the best musical film I've seen in at least ten years. The music and choreography were aligned with my personal tastes. When I watch this film, it makes me feel good and it leaves a smile on my face. I'm about to have my sixth viewing of it this week.

I am not surprised by your response -- and I am certain --- the response of other forum members in favor of La La Land.

Never, in recent memory, have I known a film that has been under such immense debate than that one.

Either you loved it or hated it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am not surprised by your response -- and I am certain --- the response of other forum members in favor of La La Land.

Never, in recent memory, have I known a film that has been under such immense debate than that one.

Either you loved it or hated it.
I wouldn't say I love La La Land. It's a quality film, but my feelings towards it are more "like" than "love'. Mike Frezon loves La La Land for instance. However, I do "love" The Greatest Showman. My closest friends and family would be shock to know I watched a musical six times in three months. It's my least favorite film genre. I think part of my connection with The Greatest Showman is that I'm from Bridgeport, CT and Barnum and Tom Thumb are recognized as favorite sons of my hometown. Barnum was even mayor of Bridgeport at one time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am well aware of Mr. Frezon's devotion to that film. :)

I was blown away by TGS. Certainly going to watch this a few times more, and that's something I rarely do for any film these days.

Interesting story about Barnum being the mayor of Bridgeport. Guess that should be one included in the sequel perhaps? :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am shocked. I thought it was. Shows how closely I actually followed this year's Oscars. Didn't even watch it.

Well, my comment is still valid. This film should have not only have been nominated but won.

And to add an additional comment...

I got pissed off when the Academy expanded their choices of nominees from just 5 films to around 50 [/sarcasm off]. But really, with the huge expanded list of titles the Academy now nominates, you mean to tell me The Greatest Showman couldn't even make that list?

"Greatest Showman" got mediocre reviews - 55% on RT. It was popular commercially but not particularly well-received by critics, so it's not a surprise it didn't get a BP nomination...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What Colin said above. I adore the hell out of TGS...I left the theater in a great mood back in January and love the music. But is it a quality movie? Eh...I don't think I can say it's Best Picture worthy. It plays SUPER loose with history and has more than one "oh boy, they did that..." part.

When people ask me what my favorite movie of the year is so far, I point to this one with a caveat: it has issues, but I feel good listening to the music or watching it. I don't feel that way about anything else I've seen in a theater this year.

We're watching in 4k on Thursday night. The BF said he was told TGS was a good movie and he wanted to watch it. He NEVER wants to watch ANYTHING I like.

Sidenote: as of this past weekend, I could STILL see TGS in an AMC theater locally. That's three MONTHS after initial release. Critic scores be damned on this one. Audiences apparently LOVE it with an 88% on RT. It's easily profitable in domestically; $84 million budget and grossed $172 million...almost another $250 million internationally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks