What's new

The German "Karl May Westerns" (1962 - 1968) fully reviewed on DVD... (1 Viewer)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Here's one for those of you who think you know every genre of cinema. Among the first of the European Westerns, inspiration to the Spaghetti Western boom and the series that brought German cinema back to life after the Second World War, the Karl May Westerns were 11 epic sized films based on the works of popular German author Karl May. Incredibly sucessful, and still widely loved in Germany, they are almost unknown in the UK/USA despite having English language DVD releases in Germany - so with a lot of research and film watching, I present: The Complete DVD Guide to the Karl May Westerns.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for the link. I remember seeing some on TV about 20 years ago in bad 16mm prints in pan-and-scan. Interesting to find out how epic they really were and how popular they were (and are) in Germany.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Thanks for the link. I lived in Germany from 74-75 and became acquainted with the Karl May films then. In a similar vein, First Run Features has just released a box set called "Westerns with a Twist" that collects 3 of the East German "Indianerfilme"; SONS OF THE GREAT BEAR, CHINGACHGOOK:THE GREAT SNAKE, and APACHES. These films were "inspired" by the success of the May series, but featured a distinctly anti-American agenda (they were produced in what was then a communist country). Dissappointingly, the most famous "Indianerfilm", BLOODBROTHERS starring American ex-patriate (and former pop singer) Dean Read is not part of the set.

Information on the set can be found here:

http://firstrunfeatures.com/defawesterns.html

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Cheers for the info on the Indianerfilme - the set has been reviewed at DVD Talk and looks pretty decent, I'll be picking it up before long I'm sure.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Very nice, Tim.

One correction to make: "[..]Treasure of Silver Lake, it secured actors Lex Barker and Pierre Brice in their respective roles as Old Shatterhand and Pierre Brice."

Should be Winnetou at the end :)

-Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks