What's new

The First Omen (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Meaning you imply I'm only a fan of horror with "sudden shocks"? 🤨

No, I was saying what I liked, I don't know what you like. I meant a lot of the time with horror it is about getting to a sudden shock, which I enjoy at times, but I really don't mind there being a lot of story. I love a slow build. I mean, some people may think that there is too much story not enough shock in the Omen series, but probably because so many films do rely on getting to the jolt. Which is fine, but the point I was making was I enjoyed the meandering, did not hold it against the Omen films.

It is never my intent to insult somebody when I make a comment on a film but it seems so many times I say something here a person will take it as if I am specifically commenting on them or a specific group...I'm really not. Really. I don't know what exactly it was you did not like about the Omen sequels, you just said boring and "Meh." so that could mean anything. I was just responding that I liked them, liked the story and liked the actors. So for me, they were enjoyable.

Honestly, I promise, if I intend to insult someone I will make it very direct and right to the point. I appreciated your comment and was not looking to offend or imply anything. I swear.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No, I was saying what I liked, I don't know what you like. I meant a lot of the time with horror it is about getting to a sudden shock, which I enjoy at times, but I really don't mind there being a lot of story. I love a slow build. I mean, some people may think that there is too much story not enough shock in the Omen series, but probably because so many films do rely on getting to the jolt. Which is fine, but the point I was making was I enjoyed the meandering, did not hold it against the Omen films.

It is never my intent to insult somebody when I make a comment on a film but it seems so many times I say something here a person will take it as if I am specifically commenting on them or a specific group...I'm really not. Really. I don't know what exactly it was you did not like about the Omen sequels, you just said boring and "Meh." so that could mean anything. I was just responding that I liked them, liked the story and liked the actors. So for me, they were enjoyable.

Honestly, I promise, if I intend to insult someone I will make it very direct and right to the point. I appreciated your comment and was not looking to offend or imply anything. I swear.

Appreciate the clarification! Just thought the statement made it sound like you figured I didn't like the "Omen" sequels because they weren't packed with jump scares.

I hate jump scares. They're my biggest criticism of modern horror: all "boo" and little actual terror.

"Exorcist" is arguably my fave horror movie because it's way more about building a tone and an organic mood than cheap jolts.

And if you're curious to know more about why I didn't like the sequels, here ya go:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Appreciate the clarification! Just thought the statement made it sound like you figured I didn't like the "Omen" sequels because they weren't packed with jump scares.

I hate jump scares. They're my biggest criticism of modern horror: all "boo" and little actual terror.

"Exorcist" is arguably my fave horror movie because it's way more about building a tone and an organic mood than cheap jolts.

And if you're curious to know more about why I didn't like the sequels, here ya go:

The Exorcist is absolutely brilliant filmmaking on every level. It succeeds because the two guys that are most responsible for it took an incredibly intelligent approach to what they were doing. It's about a wildly bizarre event but they completely ground the story and make it feel like it could really happen. The characters are the key and they are so well drawn and you feel what they are going through. The effects, that so many recall when they think about the film, are designed not to push the film over the top but rather to make you feel the things occurring are really possible.

It was stunning to see how far this "franchise" had fallen when I began watching Believer. Every single thing that I thought they should absolutely not do, they did in spades. It really was a complete and total lesson in how to make a bad film and a horrible sequel. It really starts with the makers of the picture having absolutely no clue why the first film was so incredible and focusing on the most simplistic aspects of the first picture to the point where it becomes parody. As soon as I saw that what they were going to do was have two possessed little girls, I knew this was going to be an idiotic approach. Rather than a couple priests, they have an army of different religious people. It's like take the first film, look at the most simplistic things, and then multiply them. Blatty had another novel that basically was another chapter of The Exorcist story but I'm sure they did not want to use that because he did not approach it as "Oh, I have to have more possessed kids and bring back a major character from the first book, or I just have to rewrite the first story with more of everything."

I guess, in part with the first three Omen films, I am nostalgic for those times when they really wanted to get the story right. To tell a good story, to draw you in with characters. You can take an audience to weird places if you make them feel something for the characters they are watching, not just shock or stun them with effects and jolts. I don't think the writing in the Omen films is as brilliant as the first Exorcist film, but they do a good job creating the universe, the characters, and getting a good flow from film to film so that the end result, for me anyway, worked. I don't think every film needs to have sequels and prequels and tell you more about this or that. Generally the mystery of things they allude to or never fully explain is part of why a film will have lasting impact.

Pictures like The Exorcist or Alien needed no sequels or prequels, and you see the approach when they make sequels/prequels. You see right off if someone has a good idea or if they are sort of flailing about or half assing the whole thing. It becomes apparent quickly in a film. Aliens basically made a lot of the general "mistakes" a sequel will make, taking something very obvious from the first film and adding more, but they made it through that by just saying "Well, the first film was horror, this is going to be an action/war movie." and still giving us some memorable characters and moments. I don't like the approach to Aliens but they did make it work. I don't think it is anywhere near as good as the original film but as sequels go, they did find a solid reason for it to exist. The rest of that franchise spirals out of control because they seem to have no clue how or why to continue it outside of money. So, lots of flailing.

One good thing about the first three Omen films, to me, was I did not see that flailing. I thought the progression from film to film was done well and to tell the tale of the antichrist from boy to man made sense. In terms of story it was a solid progression. So, to me, with this "franchise" I would give the Omen series a good grade. I do think the trailer for this new film is pretty good, a really good trailer. The music and the backwards video create a nice atmosphere. I think they are leaning in to some recent horror films in it, The Nun because we have lots of nuns, and that Smile film, where the woman turns to the camera and gives a big smile.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Yes, good reviews. I won't disagree with your thoughts, I do think in the time these were getting made making sequels was becoming a big thing, specifically for the cash because Star Wars did rake it in. You say this which I really agree with and why I think they managed a good flow from film to film, much more so than other horror franchises:

That said, I think a sequel made sense in this case, as the 1976 movie ended on a cliffhanger of sorts, so it seems logical to see how Damien’s evil progresses.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
GIZn8h-a8AAKq21

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm thinking this will be DOA at the box office, with Ghostbusters and Godzilla having just arrived in theaters.

Also, it's from one of the writers of the Razzie-nominated Firestarter remake of 2022. The only name I recognize among cast and crew is Bill Nighy.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm thinking this will be DOA at the box office, with Ghostbusters and Godzilla having just arrived in theaters.

Also, it's from one of the writers of the Razzie-nominated Firestarter remake of 2022. The only name I recognize among cast and crew is Bill Nighy.

Well, that trailer Alex posted was very underwhelming. I don't know what sort of "fanbase" The Omen films still have. So, I have to think they just hope this appeals to horror fans in general. I was somewhat intrigued by the first trailer, not at all by this one. Not a very good chance I go to a theater to see this.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, even if it's good, I think it will be lost in the shuffle of other movies. Even the week it comes out, Monkey Man which will undoubtedly be leaning on Jordan Peele's name will easily eclipse Omen Part 6- err The First.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Anyone remember these novels for Omen IV and V?

il_fullxfull.3151328299_cid7.jpg
I remember the Omen IV paperback which brought back the Robert Foxworth character from "Omen II" (he is referred to in the "Final Conflict" without being seen; I have long suspected that Don Gordon's character was supposed to be Foxworth's character but because they couldn't get Foxworth for the film that resulted in the change). And it also addressed one of "Final Conflict's" biggest plot holes which is the fact that in the first two films it was specified that Damien had to be stabbed by *all seven* daggers in order to be destroyed but in Final Conflict he is killed with just one.

YANG

Screenwriter
this is gonna be one hell of material to assess one’s display calibration and HDR capability.

YANG

Screenwriter
creating a new story to make continual link to the original is not easy.

look at the OMEN remake in 2006...
MV5BOWE4YTQyODYtYjc3Ni00Yzc5LTk5MmYtMTdmNTk1NzJkMjcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODMzNTg4NzI@._V1_.jpg
it was considerably an attempt to retell the story that doesn't gain lots of approval and likes from audiences who would prefer the original 70s classics.

on the story of the First OMEN, that i went to see yesterday in time of a traditional Asian/Chinese mid-spring festival of remembering the dead, in hope to get some thrills and shrills... don't feel much of fear and scare. to add matter worse, the good-looking solo Gal a seat gap away from me was munching and drinking that couldn't stop until the middle where the one and only jump scare comes to screen.
i would give this a middle score of 2.8/5 in consideration that this "prequel" is not link to the 70s classic but rather to the 2006 remake.
together with the "remake", the First OMEN could turn into the beginning of trilogy, where there is a possibility that a 3rd would be coming, leaving the original OMEN Trilogy in Scope "as it is".

Sensory Experience Score: 3.5/5
visually, the photography, the tone, the darkness will be a great test material to your display's HDR capability and settings.
during most daytime shots, the scenes would seem to be soft and blooming like the 70s flicks. those "thin blurry blooms" will turn to be a testing point to determine if ur display is set too bright as the blooming could be overwhelming to affect the picture quality... including a black scene in the punishment room where a dead nun slowly appears from few greyish points of structure, to white, then audience can make up "that's the dead nun in the dark" before the haunting figure comes swiftly to the screen with colors of wounds for the jump scare. i got spooked, but no intense heart beating, that's somekind of achievement for a 50+ old dude with 3 highs of chronic disease... 🤣
this scene is kind of vital challenge to HDR as very often, with some HDR settings, one will not be scared as the haunting figure would be highlighted, and seemingly already waiting in the dark area, and folks will not have the jump scare experience when they saw what's hiding in the screen.
as mentioned, some daylight scenes are soft and bloomy as if under bright yellowish daylight, aka the 70s tone. the fidelity will be a bit of soft during day scenes, like those early ninety movies. any sharpness enhancement would oversharpen images in non-outdoor parts, including some night scenes.
the overall visual experience scores much higher than audio experience where majority of the sound presentation sounds to be 55% frontal, with some balances of surround activity.

will i get add this into my library?
probability would be... 60% considering that i had only see the 2006 OMEN remake once and the impression is very vague.

this First OMEN will not be available totally uncut when it hit the store shelves in my country with M18 certification down from R21 rated on the uncut theatrical screenings due to frontal exposure of female privates... in a very disturbing presentation that would scare ladies in their pregnant state.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
creating a new story to make continual link to the original is not easy.

look at the OMEN remake in 2006...
MV5BOWE4YTQyODYtYjc3Ni00Yzc5LTk5MmYtMTdmNTk1NzJkMjcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODMzNTg4NzI@._V1_.jpg
it was considerably an attempt to retell the story that doesn't gain lots of approval and likes from audiences who would prefer the original 70s classics.

on the story of the First OMEN, that i went to see yesterday in time of a traditional Asian/Chinese mid-spring festival of remembering the dead, in hope to get some thrills and shrills... don't feel much of fear and scare. to add matter worse, the good-looking solo Gal a seat gap away from me was munching and drinking that couldn't stop until the middle where the one and only jump scare comes to screen.
i would give this a middle score of 2.8/5 in consideration that this "prequel" is not link to the 70s classic but rather to the 2006 remake.
together with the "remake", the First OMEN could turn into the beginning of trilogy, where there is a possibility that a 3rd would be coming, leaving the original OMEN Trilogy in Scope "as it is".

Wait, what? I thought this is supposed to be a prequel to the original classic, not the remake.

Was planning to see this tomorrow, but won't bother if it's a prequel specifically to the remake.

_Man_

YANG

Screenwriter
after i went for the theatrical screening of the 1st OMEN, i replay the initial OMEN 1st Part DVD trying to find the link... of 1st OMEN to the classic... to be frank, i can't really find the link, except the part that DAMIEN's mother name, MARGARET, the NUN. otherwise, the rest of the film feels like an alternate rendition with the horror incidents portrayed in the OMEN Classic.

this is why i would consider this as a prequel to the remake, rather than the classic.

YANG

Screenwriter
...Was planning to see this tomorrow, but won't bother if it's a prequel specifically to the remake.

_Man_
don't be affected by my personal review.
go ahead and watch the film, figure out your personal point of view... you might have better interpretation of the plot than mine, or better, if 1st OMEN fails you, you could save additional monies spend in future releases, be it on physical media or streaming media.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wait, what? I thought this is supposed to be a prequel to the original classic, not the remake.

Was planning to see this tomorrow, but won't bother if it's a prequel specifically to the remake.
It's undeniably a prequel to the original. I didn't particularly like the movie (it does have a few legit shocking moments though) but, without getting into a spoiler, there's no way to say that it's not a prequel to the 1976 movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks