What's new

The death of the great TV theme tune??? (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
How about:

X Files (music only)
the Law and Order franchise (music only)
Will and Grace (music only)

I think the difference today is that much of the "theme" music is just instrumental instead of having lyrics attached to it.

Parker

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

"Woke Up This Morning" by A3 was not written for The Sopranos. A section of the already-existing song was used for the show's theme.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
@Jason
I'm taking the piss! Don't the yanks on here understand the Brit sense of humour yet??? :D

The Shield theme tune is ok but there is no title sequence. Just a really short title card. The title for 24 is fine but you know what I mean. If you asked most people around the world about theme tunes and decent title sequences I know they would say they are one of the best parts of the show if done right. Perhaps the producers need to be told this? Or is it a network thing?

PS- I forgot MASH was written for the movie, I had a brain lapse! Oops!:D

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator

I'm surprised to see this one mentioned positively. It's a catchy bit of music, to be sure, but it's from one of those shows that doesn't have a theme long enough to play its credits against; most episodes I can remember have the main cast credits against the opening scene/teaser, and then there's a quick run of a few bars of the piano theme as the words "Will & Grace" cross in front of the black-background shot of the cast, just before the commercial break.

I like "I'm No Superman" from Scrubs. I don't know if it was originally done before the show, or specifically for it. Most episodes, it's a pretty short version (total lyrics: "I can't do this all on my own...no I know...I'm no Superman...I'm no Superman!"), though they ran an extended version once or twice. Lately, they've cut it down even more, to just a snatch of instrumental and a quick shot of "Created By Bill Lawrence" on an X-ray board.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Oh the way Glenn Miller played;
Songs that made the Hit Parade;
Guys like us, we had it made;
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then;
Girls were girls and men were men;
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again;

Didn’t need no welfare State;
Eveybody pulled his weight;
Gee our old LaSalle ran great;
Those were the days.

A classic missing from Craig’s list. Perhaps because we borrowed the show’s concept from the U.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks