What's new

The Big Five settle price-fixing case (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
John,

I'm not sure. But Spitzer's quote said that consumers would see a "substantial" refund. Sure, $67 million, in and of itself, is certainly substantial. But when it gets split up into a billion pieces, I can't see it amounting to anything on a per-consumer basis. I've purchased over five hundred CDs over the last six years, and I'd be surprised if I were entitled to more than $10 (probably a coupon and only after filling out a mountain of paperwork...does anyone even keep receipts for CDs?).

By the way, I don't even believe the Big Five are guilty of what they are accused. I'm just saying that it's a meaningless settlement for anyone other than Spitzer and the lawyers (and the defendants, of course).

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The other thing that's fishy is the "5.5 million CDs valued at $75 million" that will be given to schools to promote musical education. Which CDs are these, exactly? The rejects no one wants? Even they were brand-new-in-demand CDs, valuing them at $13.76 per unit is very misleading. That would be the retail price, which is irrelevant in this case.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
What I don't get about all this is the record companies claim that they do this to benefit the smaller retailers. The record companies are right, they have no incentive to set a MAP since the their fee is the same irregardless. But I see no benefit to smaller stores. They have no choice but to sell at MAP because they need their advertising subsidized but the department stores don't need all the advertising material and then can still undercut the record store's prices.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Sure, $67 million, in and of itself, is certainly substantial.
Not if the amount of the overcharges was in the neighborhood of $480 million, as some posts I have seen elsewhere suggest. Then the settlement would become a slap on the wrist, as the defendants walked away with $350+ million in their pockets.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Is this before or after the lawyers' fees?
The case was brought by government officials. Unless some of them hired private law firms (which Spitzer did not), it's unlikely that there will be significant fees awarded.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks