What's new

The best method for recessing a driver? (flush mount) (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

I'll be doing a little veneering (NBL) and am curious as to the best method for flushmounting.

The two problems I am concerned with:
1) chip out of the veneer at the cut edge
2)"circle" indents left by imperfections on the Jasper base accentuated by multiple passes through thicker wood.

Here are the options I can think of
1) veneer first, and use a Fluted staight bit
2) veneer first and use an up cut bit
3) veneer first and use a down cut bit (rocker doesn't have them)
4) route the inner diameter first, then veneer, then flush , then use a rabbit bit

any opinions/advice from EXPERIENCED cabinet builders (just trying to eliminate guesses)?

DarrellC

Stunt Coordinator
I would do the following. Rout out a hole slightly smaller than the sub's frame. Next take a rabbeting bit with a bearing at the bottom and rout out a circle to recess the sub. Make sure it is the exact diameter and thickness if the speaker. Then veneer over the opening. You can trim the veneer with a straight cutting bit with a bearing on the bottom to ride in the rabbet. That should work!

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I always make a full template of the baffle out of MDF and clamp it onto a finished speaker and route the driver holes with a pattern bit. Once the template is made correctly it leaves no chance of errors on a finished speaker. The templte also prevents any tearout of veneer. If any of the drivers are offset to make a left and right, just flip the template over.

Pete

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I am curious about something... could you rout a hole using a simple Dremel tool with the routing accesory?

Mark Risso

Auditioning
I used a dremel with the routing tool workes great on small holes. I used it to cut and recess the driver

Jonathan M

Second Unit
Just confirming Pete's method - works a charm. If you can get a patterning bit with the bearing the exact same diameter of the router bit, then it's a perfect method, as you can be certain your pattern is correct beforehand by placing the pattern over the driver.

You can also use the same method with a template follower, but you have to allow for the extra diameter on the follower which introduces a little guess work.

In either case, my advice is to make a template - especially if you are doing more than one hole the same size! You can test your template out on a piece of scrap MDF to make sure it is perfect. I've used both the above methods with success after veneering first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks