What's new

The all-in-one THE TROUBLE WITH AMC thread (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I think TCM might have botched up "Shoot To Kill". Last night, the movie ran on there...uncut, F-words and all...but it was in full-screen. Was the movie shot open-matte and therefore TCM escaped unharmed, or was it filmed in widescreen, thus providing TCM with a bum print?

Just a "yes" or "no" to the OAR question...

TCM might not be infalible, but they still have a consistently better output than AMC.

Sincerely,

John "AMC still blows goats" Kilduff

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I think that its great that they posted so many reader responses to this article!

This mean additional bad press for AMC (which it deserves) and more good press for TCM (which it deserves)!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Maybe, the full screen version is the only version Disney provided TCM instead of the widescreen 2.35:1 ratio.

Crawdaddy

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
So basically AMC will become the USA network without Matlock reruns...interesting!

BTW I have Dish Net and would rather gouge my eyes out then ever give another cent to Cablevision/MSG/The Wiz

The woman quoted in the article sounds like a UTEP communications graduate slowly realizing that the case studies on network managment she studied in "The Business of Broadcasting 101" are about to destroy her carear.

Overheard by a fly on the wall in a Rainbow Communications board meeting "OK so lets completly revamp AMC to make it like 100 other cable channels out there and then create a new channel that will resemble the old AMC but have absolutly no name recognition while destroying AMC's current name" "My God Marg, I think its fabulous! Tell Mr. Dolan that we have an idea that will help with the fact that he does not carry the most popular sports team in the country in the largest sports market in the nation!"

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Thanks, Crawdaddy...

Sincerely,

John "I guess Disney really doesn't care about OAR...but that's another thread for another day" Kilduff

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The truth is, sometimes there aren't OAR transfers around for lesser-known films. They have to be made and that costs money. TCM shows OAR when they can. When they can't, they still show the films unedited. They rock!!! Fox Movie Channel is also very good, if a little limited. I mean, heck, I was able to tape the widescreen version of BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS!

AMC used to be "Once Upon a Time in the West", uncut, commercial-free, letterboxed, trailer before the feature goodness. It used to be a Planet of the Apes marathon in original aspect ratio, orginal theatrical trailer, making-of documentary heaven. Now it's My Cousin Vinny and a My Cousin Vinny Backstory. My Fucking Cousin Vinny?!?!? With commercials?!?!? How the mighty have fallen.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

So younger viewers enjoy edited, analog movies with commercial interruptions? Talk about out of touch.

Now with we will have another channel taking up our HD bandwith. Maybe D*TV will drop AMC!

Ralph

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i know there are tons of threads already on AMC. so i chose this one to put my opinion in.

is it time for them to change there name from american movie classics. especially now that they have movies on like today's REVENGE OF THE NERDS.

ok i know it really is just AMC now,...... but still.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, I do consider Revenge of the Nerds a classic, but AMC should stand for All Movies Compromised (same for a theatre chain with the same initials!)

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Please forgive me if this has already been reported, but according to a recent issue of the trade publication "Broadcasting & Cable" American Movie Classics has lost 30% of its viewers in the past 3 months. I can just see the morons down there standing around scratching their heads and wondering why. As the saying goes "If it's not broken don't fix it."

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Well, for me, they stopped showing American Classic movies. They were showing more recent popular flicks. They stopped showing a lot of their movies in OAR. They added commercials. Overall, it was less of a fun experience tuning it. I get a better look at classic flicks at TCM.

That's just me. I don't know if I am in that 30%. I guess I am.

Phil

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am part of that 30%, but I stopped watching long before the last three months. Between the non-OAR, commercials and current programming selections, I just stopped checking their schedule. Currently, watching a movie on AMC is no different than watching one on TBS, USA or Comedy Central. Turner Classic Movies, on the other hand, has the right idea -- OAR whenever possible, uncut and uninterrupted. In fact, other than promotions for their own coming attractions, there are no commercials at all.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
AMC deserted its core viewership by forsaking OAR and classic films and inserting commercial breaks. By so loudly proclaiming its format change to recent box-office hits, AMC simply became another stop on the cable dial. They even threw in a station-logo bug for good measure.

And now the network is paying the price.

For once, the American viewership voted in the one way a cable channel can ill afford it. :emoji_thumbsup:

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
My girlfriend and I are also part of that 30%. Sorry to see it happen.
How true. That, "Oxygen" and any other channel who keeps that black bar station bug up all the time.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It's probably also because the movies they are showing can be found elsewhere. "Dragnet" (the horrid Dan Aykroyd version) was recently shown on both Comedy Central and AMC within a day of eachother. What was nice about AMC was that you could see movies there that other channels didn't. But that's long since been changed, wich is why I've long since stopped tuning in.

When flipping through channels TCM usually catches my eye with a great old movie, AMC just becomes a blur of teh same old crap.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I stopped watching after they stopped broadcasting in OAR, and became a "TCM-only" kinda guy. I wasn't even around for the format-switch.

Sad to see a once-great station go right in the ditch... but they ditched me first. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks