What's new

Terry Gilliam talks Fear and Loathing amongst other stuff (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub...ture_3904.html

another great interview which is completely different than the NPR

O: If we're moving back toward the early '70s politically and socially, what about culturally?

TG: Well, after Fear And Loathing, he wrote another piece, about a nation of frightened sheep. [The Great Shark Hunt. —ed.] And I think that's where we are now. The sheepdogs and shepherds seem to be the media. And the people are unfortunately... It's very hard to speak, because the people are not letting their voices be heard. If you look at the midterm elections, where the Republicans are claiming they got a mandate to lead the nation into better times for the rich, it's nonsense, when you realize that only 39 percent of the electorate voted, and the Republicans just barely won, so you could say they have a mandate from 20 percent of the voting public. Now, that's quite frightening, especially when in places like Serbia, the elections are having to be fought again because they only got like 47 percent of the electorate voting, and that was deemed not to be democratic. Nobody seems to be making much noise about the undemocratic voting in America. The sad thing is, the people who should be voting aren't participating. They seem to have washed their hands of politics, or they're so desperately trying to make ends meet that they aren't thinking about what's causing their problems.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Awesome quote, Oscar. Thanks. I can always depend on the A/V club for interesting interviews.

cheers,
Joseph

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
This just makes me want Fear and Loathing Criterion that much more :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
You might find Fear and Loathing out in some places already. I bought my copy of the Criterion edition at my favorite independent CD/DVD store in New Jersey on January 31st! It's a great transfer and the supplements - what I've made it through so far - are comprehensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks