What's new

Tell me about your '99 Ford Ranger... (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I'm all lined up to buy a black XLT, 2wd long box 2.5L 5 speed for $4000. 85k miles. Blue Book is like $3k higher, and I'm thinking it's too good to be true. What do you think?

I ran a title check, and the only thing I can see is that it was a lease repo in '99 after 16k miles, then in the next 20 months the second buyer put on 80 miles a day average. Maybe a courier?

Then some Joe bought it and put on 15k miles in 2 years or so, and now it might be mine tomorrow.

It's clean, drives quiet and stops good, new topper / liner / tires, really nice! But too cheap? From a dealer, too.

Opinions?

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I have a 2000 Ranger Extended Cab 3.0 4x2 with a manual that I purchased new. I have 40k on it and the only problem I had was the Oil Pressure sensor went, it was under warranty at the time. I love my truck. But if I ever get another one in the future ill get a Auto for the extra towing capacity.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
That seems like a very good price..at least for what trucks go for around here. I had a 97 ranger and loved it.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought it was a good price, too. I was trying to find a reason why it was so low, and another dude came in to look at it. Seemed OK so I reserved it - picking it up at noon, going to Abra to get a quote on fixing 2 rust spots under the door's weather stripping...

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Colin...I have a '98 Ranger and love it to death. Haven't had a single problem yet (and I'm a slacker when it comes to maintenance).

Jon

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge Extended Cab Auto. Nice little truck that has been running pretty well (knock on wood, my warranty just went up, put about 40k on it in 2 years). Only problems I have had was my Window track broke and fuel sensor went bad which were both covered at the time. From a mechanical standpoint, the engine has been solid.
If it was properly maintained I do not see why you should worry...does this dealer offer any kind of warranty, maybe like 30 days? If you are looking for more Ranger info check out www.rangerpowersports.com. There is a nice forum there and general Ranger info.
J

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
80 miles later and things are ok -

Bad -

1. Mild squeal from the clutch if I rev too high going from a stop (still getting used to the truck).

2. Cold this morning - one of the belt-driven components was howling for a couple of minutes while the engine warmed up. Bad power steering pump bearing?

3. No dome light, no E-brake light when applied but it's there on start-up, door ajar light's always on, one burned out light behind the oil pressure guage.

Otherwise it goes down the road like a Lincoln compared to what I was driving before. Great truck! I just hope it doesn't nickel and dime...

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Be prepared to gas up more often. Ford Ranger and Mazda B-series trucks aren't very fuel efficient. I have a 96 Mazda 3.0L 4x2 extended cab...the last I checked, I was getting around 15-16 miles to the US gallon (city). Until recently, for awhile, I was only getting 11-12 miles to the US gallon....went to various shops, but couldn't find the problem (changed spark plugs, changed 2 02 sensors, etc.). Earlier this year, a new shop changed a new belt and fixed a leak...then I finally got 'reasonable' gas mileage (closer to the manufacturer's figure of 17.5 mpg for city).

Also, I have added a K&N filter for better air intake flow. A Magnaflow performance muffler with a slightly larger 2.5 in/out and new 2.5 exhaust piping will be added next year. This should add a few more horses.

Dave

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Mild squeal from the clutch if I rev too high going from a stop (still getting used to the truck).
This I don't quite understand. If your talking about fan clutch, then this goes back to your belt tension. I would have your Serp belt changed. Use the Goodyear, it does make a difference.
Use part # 4060817 (if you have AC)
or # 4060695 (without AC)

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I had a 1991, 1993, and a 1999 Ranger. (All Regular cab.) Now I'm driving a 2002 Ranger Edge Extended cab.
The only problem I had is with the 1999 Ranger. The multi function switch, (Turn signal/wipers) had a short. Sometimes the wipers turns on by themselves. It was a common problem and its easy to fix. Fixed it under warranty at the dealer.
I took real good care of my 1999 Ranger. Still looked liked new when my lease was over. I was going to keep it, but the Ranger Edge came out. Couldn't resist! :D
After getting the Edge, I took off those Black rail caps and put on Rail pipes. These are designed to go in the stake holes. No drilling. It also matches the color of the truck! You can see pics here.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I have an 99 Ranger Extended 2wd 3 liter. I love it to death. I have driven nothing but Chevy's before and like my ranger twice as much as anything else.

I have had good luck with gas mileage. I am a part time courier and get about 20 city and 25-27 highway.

Brandon

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
This Ranger's frigin' great! I can't believe how well it rides...I'm also looking into a stereo revamp, like the 10" MTX custom fit, etc.

Zen - Thanks for the advice and part nos. I was speaking of the tranny clutch. In 1st, from a stop, if I rev too high and burn the clutch it'll squeal for 1/2 a second. Gotta get used to it...

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't think I made a mistake buying the truck, but I really should have waited for an x-cab (at least I have a long box). Oh well...2 years and the wife's G Cherokee will be mine, then she gets whatever. Minivan? AIEEE!!!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have a 2002 EDGE Extra Cab/Black. First thing I did was have the edge stickers removed. I then swapped the the aluminum polished for the chrome stock wheels. Also flipped the tires, so the white letters are in. This looks so much better. Instead of a bedliner guys, look at the Bed-Rug it's a soft no scratch bedliner (marine-carpet). It is surprisingly durable and yes it can get wet. My only complaint is the 3.0 V-6 is a bit of a dog and a bit hungry on the MPG. Since I'm installing a Fabtech suspension on my truck also, I'll need to beef up the HP a bit. Overall a very nice truck and the stock cd/mp3 player is a pretty nice stock player. If this thread turns into the "Ranger Thread", I'll post a pic in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks