Talk to Me (2023)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Title: Talk to Me (2023)

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Michael Philippou, Danny Philippou

Cast: Sophie Wilde, Joe Bird, Alexandra Jensen, Otis Dhanji, Miranda Otto, Zoe Terakes, Chris Alosio, Marcus Johnson, Alexandria Steffensen, Ari McCarthy, Sunny Johnson, James Oliver, Cass Cumerford, Jett Gazley, Kitt Erhart-Bruce, Hamish Phillips, Kidaan Zelleke, Sarah Brokensha, Jayden Davison, Jodie Dry, Oscar Wangel, Jem O'Callaghan, Michael Harpas, Frances Cassar, Harli Ames, Kerry Reid, Robin Northover, David Simmons, Nicola Thiele

Release: 2023-07-28

Runtime: 94

Plot: When a group of friends discover how to conjure spirits using an embalmed hand, they become hooked on the new thrill, until one of them goes too far and unleashes terrifying supernatural forces.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I was emailed by my local cinema chain about a "sneak preview" for this tonight. However, I still have to buy tickets, so I thought it was not worth it given the short notice.

Now, if it was free.... ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Through a weird series of events, I would up at Talk to Me last night. It wasn't my first pick...or my second pick...it was Plan C.

Anyway, theater was much more crowded than I would have ever imagined. Single people, groups, older folks, younger folks, men, women...a pretty diverse crowd, which I normally don't see in my neck of the woods for non-blockbuster movies.

This crowd was very much into the movie, reacting in ways normally reserved for over-the-top sitcom moments on TV.

Is there anything to like in Talk to Me? For sure...lots and lots. It's a pretty good flick, briskly paced, lots of good laugh lines and moments along with the jump scares, the creepy scares and the like. Talk to Me is bloody and violent, but not in a slasher sort of way. It's aware of itself, but it's not meta like Scream.

Sophie Wilde is magnetic and beautiful and I could watch her do anything all day long.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Danny and Michael Phillippiou's debut feature doesn't sport the most original concept as genre fans will be able to detect traces of THE EVIL DEAD, RINGU and CANDYMAN among others in Danny's screenplay (co-written with Bill Hinzman). What elevates this Australian horror film is that is doesn't rely solely on jump scares and loud music stings. It's genuinely creepy. The brothers Phillippiou play fair with the viewer and follows its premise from beginning to end. They also display a sly wit which tactically disarms the viewer before going in for the.....you know what.

The cast lead by Sophie Wilde and Sunny Johnson is young and energetic. Aaron McLisky's camera is fluid but controlled and Cornel Wilczek's music doesn't get in the way by being too omnipresent. As mentioned,, the script doesn't break any new ground, but, it's smart in the right places and doesn't insult the intelligence of the viewer. Producers Kristina Ceyton and Samantha Jennings performed the same function on THE BABADOOK and their taste shows as do the talents of the Phillippiou brothers.

Attachments

• Talk-To-Me.jpg
    Talk-To-Me.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 21

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Saw this yesterday and thought it was... pretty okay?

Not as good as the reviews indicate, IMO, but better than average for 21st century horror.

Some fairly effective moments but it tends to ramble and can feel like a short film extended to feature length.

Also, the movie felt clumsy in terms of "message", as the whole thing feels like a metaphor for substance abuse.

Perhaps that wasn't on purpose, but I find it hard to imagine the filmmakers didn't intend for such an analogy given how closely the story follows that sort of arc.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched this last night as part of October horror stuff. Decent film, with solid performances and good attention to creating the primary characters. They take a simple premise and go directly at it. This approach allows them to delivery a creepy little film building some nice atmosphere and characters that draw you in. Sure, it will remind you of other horror films and feels a bit derivative but I do think the actors make you hang with the whole thing until then end...which I admit you can basically see coming from a mile away. Really that's part of the construction here because I don't think they mean to surprise you, just to tell their tale in an effective way. If you like your horror spooky and straightforward, this should hit the spot.

Also, the movie felt clumsy in terms of "message", as the whole thing feels like a metaphor for substance abuse.

Yes, it feels that way because that is exactly what it is and what it is inspired by. I think they definitely wanted that to come through. These are not filmmakers looking to give you twists and turns and confuse you...they want to come right at you, and deliver the message they want to deliver in a clear and concise manner it seems. They were entirely inspired to create this story from seeing three teenagers that lived near them using drugs and in one incident, one of the kids collapsed having a seizure and rather than help him, his two "friends" laughed at him while filming him with their phones. It is pretty clear watching the film this is pretty well depicted in it. So, you are right on the money.

It also is quite clear in watching this film that is done to set up a sequel and potential prequel. Obviously if they want to they can do a prequel about where the hand they are using to meet the dead came from. They give it a minor backstory in the film so I can see them telling that tale as well. The sequel is set up at the end of this film because the hand continues to travel. This is what you would call savvy modern filmmaking. I like that the story they are telling is fully contained in this one film but they created the options in it to tell more than one other story off of it.

The story itself is very simple. Teens get hold of a hand coated in ceramic that when they grip it and say "Talk to me." opens a door to being able to see dead people. Doing this becomes an addictive thrill-seeking game. It's horror so of course they underestimate the consequences of interacting with the other side. No spoilers in that, that is how the promotional material sets up the picture and that is exactly what the picture delivers. If you like the trailer, you will like the film. It's what you really could call an honest trailer.

Sequels could get repetitive because the premise is so simple. A prequel/origin story of the hand, that could be a different wild tale. This first film really is a Twilight Zone episode stretched to feature length, so personally I don't see a lot of need to do a sequel that has a new group of characters shaking hands with the dead and finding out they may have got more than they bargained for. However, I would find the prequel idea interesting. Just my two cents.

Recommended for horror buffs that like their terror spooky with good characters.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Watched this last night as part of October horror stuff. Decent film, with solid performances and good attention to creating the primary characters. They take a simple premise and go directly at it. This approach allows them to delivery a creepy little film building some nice atmosphere and characters that draw you in. Sure, it will remind you of other horror films and feels a bit derivative but I do think the actors make you hang with the whole thing until then end...which I admit you can basically see coming from a mile away. Really that's part of the construction here because I don't think they mean to surprise you, just to tell their tale in an effective way. If you like your horror spooky and straightforward, this should hit the spot.

Yes, it feels that way because that is exactly what it is and what it is inspired by. I think they definitely wanted that to come through. These are not filmmakers looking to give you twists and turns and confuse you...they want to come right at you, and deliver the message they want to deliver in a clear and concise manner it seems. They were entirely inspired to create this story from seeing three teenagers that lived near them using drugs and in one incident, one of the kids collapsed having a seizure and rather than help him, his two "friends" laughed at him while filming him with their phones. It is pretty clear watching the film this is pretty well depicted in it. So, you are right on the money.

It also is quite clear in watching this film that is done to set up a sequel and potential prequel. Obviously if they want to they can do a prequel about where the hand they are using to meet the dead came from. They give it a minor backstory in the film so I can see them telling that tale as well. The sequel is set up at the end of this film because the hand continues to travel. This is what you would call savvy modern filmmaking. I like that the story they are telling is fully contained in this one film but they created the options in it to tell more than one other story off of it.

The story itself is very simple. Teens get hold of a hand coated in ceramic that when they grip it and say "Talk to me." opens a door to being able to see dead people. Doing this becomes an addictive thrill-seeking game. It's horror so of course they underestimate the consequences of interacting with the other side. No spoilers in that, that is how the promotional material sets up the picture and that is exactly what the picture delivers. If you like the trailer, you will like the film. It's what you really could call an honest trailer.

Sequels could get repetitive because the premise is so simple. A prequel/origin story of the hand, that could be a different wild tale. This first film really is a Twilight Zone episode stretched to feature length, so personally I don't see a lot of need to do a sequel that has a new group of characters shaking hands with the dead and finding out they may have got more than they bargained for. However, I would find the prequel idea interesting. Just my two cents.

Recommended for horror buffs that like their terror spooky with good characters.

To be clear, I'm not at all opposed to movies that want to send a message.

I just think this one handled the message in a heavy-handed and clumsy manner.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
To be clear, I'm not at all opposed to movies that want to send a message.

I just think this one handled the message in a heavy-handed and clumsy manner.

I hope it did not seem I was implying you were opposed to messages in a film. Sure, I think most movies have an underlying message and it varies how subtle they are with that or how well they communicate it.

The guys that made this seem to like to be very upfront with the message they are trying to convey. So, heavy-handed is certainly a fair take on that. It did seem when they strap the person that is going to shake hands with the ceramic coated hand into a chair it comes off as tying off an arm to shoot-up. The way the process moves from unpleasant to addictive and they are having this big party taking turns with the hand laughing and joking and just having a blast...that mimics the process of addiction. What starts as something for a good time turns into something darker and more dangerous/harmful.

I just think that is their approach here, they wanted that idea to be in your face, so it is. The entire film really goes straight at everything so, they definitely are not trying to baffle anybody or do an M. Night. I also think maybe because I recently watched Nefarious, a horror/message film that pretty much is the definition of clumsy/heavy-handed messaging, perhaps this went down much easier.

It is their first feature too. I guess they came over from doing shorts on YouTube.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
The addiction angle is well handled (what with the Mother and all that), but, it's not so front and center as to detract to those who just want to watch a straight on horror thriller.
As I posted, TALK TO ME's greatest asset is that it is wholly consistent from beginning to end. So many terror flicks fall apart as they try to 'top' the previous shock sequences, often losing any form of internal plot logic they may have had.
TALK TO ME is a notable exception in that regard.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks