What's new

Symphonic Metal - Dutch (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Thanks to a friend in a very high place at Nightwish's American label, I've been privy to "Imaginaerum" in MP3 form, which will tide me over until the official release (12/27, I believe).
I really like it a lot. The only reason I don't "love" it is that it's been SO long since "Dark Passion Play" that I was expecting even more from it somehow. I WILL say that it's at least as good as "Dark..." was.
Besides the aforementioned "Storytime," which I love, other highlights are "Ghost River" (with a GREAT chorus by Marco that you'll be hearing in your head for days after your first listen), "Turn Loose the Mermaids" (a pretty ballad that sounds closer to Within Temptation than it does NW), "Last Ride of the Day," and my personal favorite "I Want My Tears Back." This favorite track has a sound much like "Last of the Wilds" from the previous album, but with lyrics.
You'll probably also take a shine to "Scaretale," but it became obvious to me by this track that Tuomas had been watching too many Tim Burton films during the writing of this album, thanks to a spoken part that sounds remarkably like "Oogie Boogie" from "A Nightmare Before Christmas," while "I Want My Tears Back" is about "Alice in Wonderland."
The low point for me is "Slow, Love, Slow," which has a "slow jazz" feel to it, and I don't much care for it. I'm all for the band trying to branch out, but this seems a little too far a reach for my liking...
"Song of Myself" is a 13 minute song that doesn't hold a candle to "The Poet and the Pendulum" magnum opus of the last album, in fact, they could have dropped the last six or seven minutes, because it's really nothing more than a long monologue set to music. Imagine "Dead Boy's Poem" stretched out to 13 minutes, and you get the idea.
There are a few other tracks that are good, there's a short instrumental called "Arabesque," and the album begins two-and-a-half minute intro (that leads into "Storytime) which is Marco singing in Finnish over a music box...
Other than "Slow, Love, Slow,:" there's absolutely nothing here that I disliked as much as I hated "7 Days to the Wolves" on the last one (I can't believe they opened with that when I saw them two years ago.
All in all, you're NOT gonna be disappointed, and I can't wait to hear what you guys think.
Do you realize we got new releases from Nightwish, Within Temptation, and Leaves' Eyes this year? Epica have a new one in March, so that's four CDs from my Female-Fronted Big Four in under 365 days! (Yes, whether or not Leaves' Eyes belongs in the same league as the other three is debatable, but they're UP there..."
I'd be interested in everyone's Top Ten for Symphonic Metal for 2011, too...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure that I've actually bought any CDs that came out in 2011.
I really should pick up the new Dream Theater, at least. . .

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Not a fan at all of this new Nightwish. Maybe two good songs on the disc. I've spun it 3x now and all I feel is though I'm listening to a soundtrack for a horror circus film. While I enjoyed DPP this new one is a far cry from that and I do not like the direction Nightwish is heading, their big downfall was getting rid of Tarja and this new lead has no operatics to her voice at all and it's just not the same. I really wanted to like this but sadly it's getting packed away.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Too funny, last night I found a booklet inside the CD case and sure enough, they went for some weird evil circus type album due to the pics that are in the booklet. My description nailed it, so bummed with this due to the love I have for the single they came out with off the CD last month.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I've never mentioned The Reasoning because I think their sound is definitely more "prog rock" than symphonic metal. But now that you brought them up...they're a VERY good band, and I'm not sure of the specifics at the moment, but members of the band were previously involved (maybe still involved) with a great band called Panic Room, and an even greater band called Karnataka. If you have ANY interest in The Reasoning, then Karnataka's "Delicate Flame of Desire" is an absolute MUST (imagine Marillion at their peak, but with a wonderful female vocalist). It's pretty hard to find these days...
Ron: Sorry you don't like the new Nightwish. I still listen to it a lot...but I realize now that Tuomas doesn't have a Tim Burton obsession...he has a Johnny Depp obsession. Think about it: on the new album, "Storytime" is about Peter Pan's literary creator...who was played by Depp in "Finding Neverland." "I Want My Tears Back" references "Alice in Wonderland", and I'm willing to bet that "Dark Chest of Wonders" a few albums back was about "Pirates of the Caribbean." Watch the "End of an Era" concert...he has a Captain Jack Sparrow action figure attached to his keyboard setup.
If I haven't lost credibility with my Nightwish review, let me say that I'm VERY excited about the forthcoming new Amberian Dawn album "Circus Black." Check out the YouTube teaser:

Just by these snippets, I can tell it's already WAY better than last year's "End of Eden." This band has released four albums in four years! And they no longer have the bass player from the first three albums. I wouldn't be surprised if they fired him for being ugly. I mean, I'm no "Day at the Beach," but that guy is ugggggg-leeeeee!
If you're in the mood for more "traditional" 80s-style heavy metal with a female vocalist, check out Deathlike Silence. I would think they were a death metal band, given the name, but check out this cover of Mike Oldfield's "Moonlight Shadow":

New Epica in March!
More as I think of it...

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Another one I'm really looking forward to this year, and a definite Day One purchase:
Xandria
Enjoy the freebie! I know I am...if the rest of the album is as good....oooh, mama!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
You may remember that free, completely legal, 3-CD, 60 MP3 collection of female-fronted bands I linked to last year?
Volume 2 is out now. Get it here
You're welcome. Again... :)
Be forwarned...I have a very fast internet connection, and these files took a VERY long time to download!
EDIT: So I don't get in trouble for multiposting, I'll just say this here...the new Xandria is an early contender for Album of the Year for me. Be forewarned, this is NOT the Xandria you're used to. It's the best album Tarja-era Nightwish never made. It's wonderfully melodic, symphonic, and heavy as F*CK! This is new territory for this band, and I really love it! I don't know where they found the new singer, but she's outstanding throughout (cute, too). I tried to buy the copy my friend had at the record label...he told me where I could stick it... I have it ordered, along with the new Epica and Diabulus in Musica. It's gonna be a great March...
Check this out...

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
CaseyL said:
Thanks for all the links to excellent music. I always enjoy discovering new stuff.
Anytime!
The new Epica seems to have polarized a lot of people. Many think there's too much growling and that Simone is underused...which is exactly what I said about the last album much earlier in this thread. Design Your Universe has gone on to become my favorite Epica album. Although I don't think "Requiem for the Indifferent" is in the same ballpark as its predecessor, it has really grown on me.
I said it before, but the new Xandria is the album to beat this year...I listen to it constantly...
Haven't had a chance to give the new Diabulus in Musica a spin yet, I only unwrapped it yesterday. I liked the debut, and I've heard this one is better....

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
So based on your recommendation, I also picked up Xandria, which I agree is very good. After listening to the youtube links you sent, I was sold.
Also Picked up the Diablulus in Musica also on your suggestion, which is also excellent.
Both of these have been totally overshadowed by my acquisition of UnSun's "Clinic for Dolls", which warrants a full album listen about every Three days. Very very good. It's still not as good as their first album, "End of Life" but it's darn close. It doesn't quite qualify for the "Dutch Metal" thread, but I recommend if you need something.
I've also been going through the new World of Glass compilation that was posted here. I don't find it nearly as intriguing as the first release. It has a far higher ratio of "Meh" to "Good".

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Wow! You're ahead of me...I STILL haven't listened to the new World of Glass comp. I've had "Clinic for Dolls" for some time...I need to dig out that one again. I also haven't had time to give the new Diabulus a listen yet, either. I'm listening to Xandria and the new Epica almost exclusively. And the new Pythia and Lyriel CDs just arrived in the mail! If you haven't already heard, the initial pressings of the new Epica slipped through quality control with the final track on the album (not including the bonus track). The song is there in an unfinished version: there are no lead vocals to be had (although the choir-like backing vocals are there). My copy has the defect. Kinda makes it a collectors' item...
BTW, don't be misled by the name of this thread. It was an accident by the initial poster after I posted pics of Sharon from Within Temptation in the Tribute to Brunettes thread a few years back and a conversation arose that could have hijacked the thread. He mistakenly though that Within Temptation were called Dutch. The posts may mostly concern female-fronted bands (some which don't even fall under the "symphonic" label...there's quite a bit of Gothic Metal here, too), but this is supposed to be about ANY kind of band that falls under the symphonic genre, regardless of country of origin.
I'm bummed to hear that Niobeth (Spanish band) broke up. Their singer is an awesome soprano (and dresses REAL hot), even though I can't make out the lyrics half the time. I dig this video:

I'll stop talking now...
:)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Never thought my thread would generate such a great discussion, especially since my title was ass-backwards!!
That link to Xandria is excellent!! Ordering tomorrow.
The new Nightwish album, eh, not too good. I Want my Tears Back has a cool vibe but I'm not sold on the rest of the album.
I'm going to have to read this thread and catch up on all the good music I've been missing out on!! :P

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
The singer of this Ukraine band just contacted me on Facebook and asked me to check out her band. There's a free three-song EP for download, and I like it! Nothing earthshaking, but it reminds me a lot of Delain, who I really like:
ONATRA
I have some more stuff to report, but I just wanted to make sure to let you know about Onatra...

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Been listening to "The Serpent's Curse" by Pythia a lot lately. It's definitely one of the year's better releases. It's not as great as the new Xandria, but I don't think ANYTHING is going to beat that this year...
"We Are the Others" is worth your $$$. It's definitely more "rock" than "metal," but it's catchy as hell. The US version has four bonus live tracks, including "The Gathering," which is my favorite Delain song...
By the way, THIS has been my "Timeline" photo on Facebook since I switched to the thing...
4ae1c09d_Timeline.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks