What's new

switching interconnects lowers volume (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Chin

Second Unit
I recently changed my interconnects.

I am really enjoying the upgrade. However, I am wondering why I have to turn up the volume about a few dbs higher to achieve the same volume I had before the change.

Is there an explanation for this related to different cable designs ?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I know what you mean, sort-of.
I just switched out my Monster Interconnects to some custom made Signal Cable Interconnects. These new cables are very transparent and I was getting a "tinny" sound from the highs. I found out the problem was with my Monster Optical cable. Switched over to Coax and the problem vanished. I am also getting stonger mid-bass with the new cables.
It is amazing how cables can affect sound quality. It was like the Monster Interconnects were choking out sound quality. I'm dumping the rest of my Monster in favor of the Signal Cable.
Jeff, what did you use and what are you using now?
Peace Out~:D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. If you have a cd with a test tone, say 1kHz, a VOM, and your old interconnects, play the tone and measure the voltage at the speaker. Then leaving the settings the same, switch the interconnects, and remeasure...what did you get?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Audio cables can be made with any one of 50, 75, 110 and 300 ohm coax. And the RCA plug also plays an important part.

So my guess is your old interconnects were 50 ohm and the new ones are 75/110. So it makes sense that the gross volume would be a bit different.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This is a very interesting discussion. I switched out Monster Interlink 400mkII RCA interconnects with Audioquest Diamondback interconnects on a few components earlier in the year and did not notice a change in volume. As a result, I had never thought about a change taking place. Again, very interesting.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
sure need a lot more information. for starter, i can't personally fathom how one could even conduct a proper evaluation without doing level matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks